Summer #Brisbane2032 - Brisbane announced as host of the 2032 Olympics!

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne wont make a bid for the winter Olympics in July unless climate change has really warmed things up.

No Oz city / state government is bidding for a late July - early August Olympics other than Brisbane or a city north of Brisbane.
Well if MCG or Stadium Australia was under a roof then see no reason why it can't happen.

Well if MCG or Stadium Australia was under a roof then see no reason why it can't happen.
Are you serious? Its about more than a roof.

Question, how come when Sydney was given the Olympics there was such celebration etc yet Brisbane didn’t even get a major announcement where the country awaited the decision with baited breath.
The circumstances couldn't have been more different.

The Sydney Olympics were awarded on the back of a long bidding process, there was a vote and an announcement that was telecast nationally. (I was 16 and got up in the middle of the night to watch it. I distinctly recall jumping off the couch, John Fahey-style, and yelling so loudly I woke my parents.)

We were also coming out of the early 90s recession so it was a big boost to national confidence. And I think being only seven years away meant that the work had to commence immediately - it was rarely out of the news.

The Brisbane Olympics were awarded during COVID, when everyone had other things on their mind. And when exactly were they awarded? There was a vote but it was on a proposal that had gone through a couple of different rounds of announcements, and it was never really clear when the thing was going to be made official. It ended up being a day or two before the Tokyo Olympics, so it became yesterday's news very quickly.

The political environment has changed dramatically - instead of being something to be proud of, the prevailing mood of the nation is "how much will this cost?" Cancelling the Commonwealth Games made this a huge issue. And the renderings of temporary stadiums just make it look a bit half-arsed, IMO.

And I think there are some (me included) who think it's a bit odd that Brisbane have the Games at all - since Athens, the Games have all been in major world cities, and, frankly, to go Beijing, London, Rio, Tokyo, Paris, LA and then Brisbane doesn't seem right.

I hope Brisbane pulls it off, but they just need someone in Government to go "yes, this will cost a shit-ton of money, but most of it is in wages to Queenslanders to build things that will we will be using for decades to come."

The circumstances couldn't have been more different.

The Sydney Olympics were awarded on the back of a long bidding process, there was a vote and an announcement that was telecast nationally. (I was 16 and got up in the middle of the night to watch it. I distinctly recall jumping off the couch, John Fahey-style, and yelling so loudly I woke my parents.)

We were also coming out of the early 90s recession so it was a big boost to national confidence. And I think being only seven years away meant that the work had to commence immediately - it was rarely out of the news.

The Brisbane Olympics were awarded during COVID, when everyone had other things on their mind. And when exactly were they awarded? There was a vote but it was on a proposal that had gone through a couple of different rounds of announcements, and it was never really clear when the thing was going to be made official. It ended up being a day or two before the Tokyo Olympics, so it became yesterday's news very quickly.

The political environment has changed dramatically - instead of being something to be proud of, the prevailing mood of the nation is "how much will this cost?" Cancelling the Commonwealth Games made this a huge issue. And the renderings of temporary stadiums just make it look a bit half-arsed, IMO.

And I think there are some (me included) who think it's a bit odd that Brisbane have the Games at all - since Athens, the Games have all been in major world cities, and, frankly, to go Beijing, London, Rio, Tokyo, Paris, LA and then Brisbane doesn't seem right.

I hope Brisbane pulls it off, but they just need someone in Government to go "yes, this will cost a shit-ton of money, but most of it is in wages to Queenslanders to build things that will we will be using for decades to come."
You had the exact opposite situation between 1993 and 2021.

LA in 1984 showed the games could make money, then Atlanta shamelessly bribed a shit load of IOC officials in 1990 and other countries were pissed off, so they re-bid, and China came into the mix and people knew the $$$$ of IOC finances and TV broadcasters wanted China.

It was Oz's 3rd bid - Brisbane 1985 vote for 1992, Melbourne 1990 vote for 1996, so come the 1993 vote it was a now or never type thinking by the AOC and people who wanted to see the Olympics back in Oz. There was a 37 year gap from Melbourne when the vote happened. If Oz's biggest city couldn't win now, what chance do we have next time, was the thinking, after two trial runs. So it was a huge deal in 1993.

The IOC then over the next 8-10 years changed its whole evaluation of bidding cities process. You have to get past a committee evaluation stage which was a very high bar compared to the past method and added to the expense of hosting a games. So over time these evaluation committees would only recommend 50% or less of the bidding cities.

So come 2017, 4 or 5 cities withdrew their bids because there was strong local opposition to cities bidding, because of the expense involved. What we don't appreciate in Oz, was that a lot of European cities were hit hard by the GFC compared to Oz and a lot of cities there had invested in worthless financial assets issued by Wall Street, then London, Brussels, Berlin etc.

Unlike Australian cities/ local governments, European cities have a lot more taxing powers and are more like Oz state governments and they have to bare the brunt of the financial impact of running an Olympics if they win the bid.

In Sydney's case, it was the NSW state government who signed the IOC offer documents and provided the guarantees and the Sydney City Council played a minor role in the whole process.

For Brisbane, there was an agreement signed by the 11 South East Queensland councils and this is a Queensland government bid in a joint venture with the federal government.

German Thomas Bach became President of IOC in 2013. In 2012 as head of the German Olympic Committee he said Germany would make a bid. Early 2015, Hamburg was selected as the German city to bid, but they had a referendum to agree to proceed with a full on bid, in November 2015 and there was a 52% vote saying no to bidding for the games. So he couldn't get a German bid up. Other Euro cities pulled out because there wasn't enough local support driven by the fear of it being to expensive as costs always blew out.

So come September 2017, only 2 bids were left standing, Paris and LA. They were both so outstanding, and given the other cities that initially bid, had pulled out because the public of those cities said they didn't want the games, the IOC said we will award 2 games in one hit because both these bid are so outstanding, it wouldn't be fair to make them do all this work again, and people of these 2 cities want the games.

The French people and even Parisians celebrated heavily winning the Olympics bid.

Brisbane's bid was made in the midst of the Covid pandemic when there was so much uncertainty and misery around and an 11 year time lag to the games.

The 2032 vote should have taken place in September 2025, but because of what happened in 2017 with awarding 2 games at once and LA had an 11 year wait, Johnny Coates brilliantly and sneakily got Oz another Olympics, as the world just wanted to piss off Covid and get back to normal life.

If the 2032 vote was indeed in September 2025, things would be very different, it would be very public unlike 2021, when people were locked up, and Brisbane / Queensland government probably pulls out of the bidding process.

NBC has the rights to the Olympics in the US and a late-September Olympics will mean low ratings due to clash with the NFL season. Everything in Sydney was shown in the US on tape-delay due to the time difference. Melbourne will never have an Olympics as long as NBC holds exclusive Olympic rights in the US.

Rio was forced to hold the 2016 Olympics in August that year and the 2028 Olympics in LA will start a week earlier than usual with consideration given to the NFL and College Football Seasons plus the US Open Tennis

Last edited:
NBC has the rights to the Olympics in the US and a late-September Olympics will mean low ratings due to clash with the NFL season. Everything in Sydney was shown in the US on tape-delay due to the time difference. Melbourne will never have an Olympics as long as NBC holds exclusive Olympic rights in the US
It not just NBC. The IOC award the Olympics to EBU for Europe and nearly all its members have Euro soccer rights so they don't want the Olympics clashing with their broadcast rights. Same with Japan, its a quiet spot for them sports wise, and also as the Chinese rights get more expensive, it fits their scheduling as well.

A July-August Olympics is when there is no NFL, NBA and NHL competition on and NBA players will go to the Olympics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer #Brisbane2032 - Brisbane announced as host of the 2032 Olympics!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back