Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne dont have a first round pick (they gave it to sydney), so they'll give up whatever they get from Freo for Jackson.

Melbourne pick went via Adel to Sydney (Jordan Dawson trade). Geelong suits way more than the Dees.

I think Grundy is worth around pick 20, which is Geelongs or Melbournes first pick if they win the flag. It does depend on his medical, but if he comes up fit and they think they can get him right, they would gladly hand that over. Might be some negotiations on the salary aspect, but Pick 20 is about right.

Yep i agree

I think people will be surprised by how little Collingwood accept. It won’t be a fourth rounder as speculated previously but talk of a first without something coming back is fanciful.

I think people will be surprised by how little Collingwood accept. It won’t be a fourth rounder as speculated previously but talk of a first without something coming back is fanciful.
Most likely a third rounder.

Anyone thinking that a 3rd round pick is enough for Grundy is kidding themselves. Even with Pies pushing him out, a late 1st or early 2nd is about right. We will be paying about 20-30% of his salary going forward I would hesitate to say.

Anyone thinking that a 3rd round pick is enough for Grundy is kidding themselves. Even with Pies pushing him out, a late 1st or early 2nd is about right. We will be paying about 20% of his salary going forward I would hesitate to say.

That seems actually about right to me.
It's a shame Taranto is likely to nominate Richmond, cause I think almost a straight swap with the Pies maybe throwing back a 2nd round pick and pay a portion of his salary up there would have worked well for both clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your club needs to stop topping up, your not in the window, total rebuild should be front of mind.
Our list is better than this year suggests. Ratten and his assistants had shockers this year. You only have to have look at what McCrae has done at the Pies to see how quickly things can change.

Our list is better than this year suggests. Ratten and his assistants had shockers this year. You only have to have look at what McCrae has done at the Pies to see how quickly things can change.

Would like to see your club blood and draft some more kids (same with my mob to be fair)

Anyone thinking that a 3rd round pick is enough for Grundy is kidding themselves. Even with Pies pushing him out, a late 1st or early 2nd is about right. We will be paying about 20-30% of his salary going forward I would hesitate to say.

So next year 600K on salaries for players at other clubs, then a couple more years after that. When Treloar comes off the books, good time to have to trade Darcy Moore due to the salary.

The value of Grundy depends a lot on how much the Pies will pay and how many clubs want him. The Pies need to sell and other clubs know that.

So next year 600K on salaries for players at other clubs, then a couple more years after that. When Treloar comes off the books, good time to have to trade Darcy Moore due to the salary.

The value of Grundy depends a lot on how much the Pies will pay and how many clubs want him. The Pies need to sell and other clubs know that.
Collingwood do not need to sell. They want to sell.

I would be surprised if Geelong make a genuine play for him. We've just got so many more important areas of need than ruck at the moment. Stanley is playing the best footy of his career, Blicavs isn't needed in defence and we're very happy with the young talent we've got coming through.

He'd be coming on a big salary even if Collingwood are paying a chunk and we'd have to give up picks. It just doesn't really fit. 2 years ago we would've been all over him but the ruck situation at geelong isn't dire any more.

Saints seem more in need of a 'forward-ruck' type who can help out King and give Marshall a breather every so often.

Grundy is more of a pure ruck so doesn't seem to meet that need.
Agreed, when Geelong takes Grundy can we have Ratugolea for a 4th? Given his injury history.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if Geelong make a genuine play for him. We've just got so many more important areas of need than ruck at the moment. Stanley is playing the best footy of his career, Blicavs isn't needed in defence and we're very happy with the young talent we've got coming through.

He'd be coming on a big salary even if Collingwood are paying a chunk and we'd have to give up picks. It just doesn't really fit. 2 years ago we would've been all over him but the ruck situation at geelong isn't dire any more.

Next year is likely stanleys last year so grundy would fill an important hole.

You can’t push a player out and then play hard ball. That’s not how this tends to play out.

Pies want to get the contract off the books, and I’m not sure they risk that falling through.

I think the most important thing with Grundy is establishing how long do people think he has left in the game.

Personally, I think he has 3 seasons left, maximum. This is due to his recent injuries, his current age and the fact that he isn't exactly lightning across the field.

So despite Collingwood offering to pay 300k off his salary, that means going from a 1m down to 700k per season for Melb to pay. Sounds ok until you calculate that he's on a 5 year contract which means there is 700k x 5 years = 3.5 Million worth of salary to be paid. This means that the last 2 years worth of salary gets pushed into the 3 years that I think he's got left. So instead of paying 3 years x 700k (2.1m) we'd be essentially paying $1.16m per season for 3 seasons of football (3.5m divide 3 AFL calibre seasons). So there's no way that Grundy is worth 1.16m (and that's with Collingwood already paying 300k off).

All of the above is irrelevant if you think he's going to play longer than 3 years. But for me, I think he'll go to 32 years old maximum.

So in summary, if Melbourne think he only has 3 years left, and believe he is worth 700k per season then Collingwood would need to pay 466k off his yearly salary (3.5m - 2.1m = 1.4m/3 years).

I think Grundy is worth a late first round pick if he was fully healthy, and being a dominant number 1 ruck. But at his age, giving up a first rounder (half of what we get for Jackson) seems way over the top. Especially when the dees have severe forward line issues that need addressing. Realistically, we need to draft solely key forwards for the next 2 drafts that's how bad we are lacking in that area.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back