Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon he is definitely ending up at Melbourne. Not sure if it'll actually work for us, but he is the type of player Goodwin and co love.

Sure looking that way.

Now is what does Collingwood get in Return

Not that many weak points in the current Cats line up. Probably a ruckman as the biggest area of opportunity right now though.
If you look at the age profile all our positions at risk are basically midfield.

Bruhn and Hopper, even JDG to an extent make sense. Grundy feels like a luxury item when we're shopping for meat and potatoes to me.

This has nothing to do with any cap issues, there is none. Probably more about he is on too much money.

According to the top 100 rich list (legit or not) Pies only have 5 players in the top 100. 2 inside the top 10 (Grundy, Moore) and 3 outside it.

If you look at the age profile all our positions at risk are basically midfield.

Bruhn and Hopper, even JDG to an extent make sense. Grundy feels like a luxury item when we're shopping for meat and potatoes to me.
No doubt when looking at lost age profile, there are opportunities for the Cats all over the park and you’re going to need upgrades on players across many different areas over the next few years but for 2023’s flag prospects, a ruckman like Grundy is a final piece of the puzzle.

It all depends if Mackie spends this off-season wanting to win the 2023-2024 flags or plan more long term.

No doubt when looking at lost age profile, there are opportunities for the Cats all over the park and you’re going to need upgrades on players across many different areas over the next few years but for 2023’s flag prospects, a ruckman like Grundy is a final piece of the puzzle.

It all depends if Mackie spends this off-season wanting to win the 2023-2024 flags or plan more long term.
I dunno opportunity all over the park for age profile. There's none in the back 6 really and the only 2 forward are Rohan and Hawkins.

Hawkins can't be replaced. Rohan we'll likely replace with a resting mid we're getting games into because our problem is ground level mids and it's severe enough that nothing else is worth considering in my opinion.

I dunno opportunity all over the park for age profile. There's none in the back 6 really and the only 2 forward are Rohan and Hawkins.

Hawkins can't be replaced. Rohan we'll likely replace with a resting mid we're getting games into because our problem is ground level mids and it's severe enough that nothing else is worth considering in my opinion.
There’s Touhy across HB, and you’d like to have someone ready for Stewart fairly soon.

In the midfield, which you’ve already mentioned, there’s a few players to replace.

Up forward, you’re right, there’s no replacing Hawk, but similar to Stewart, you’d also want something in the pipeline for Cameron who’s 30 next year as well.

I don’t know Geelong’s list very well outside the big names, but you’d have to have players lined up for the inevitable with Cameron and Stewart both turning 30 next year.

There’s Touhy across HB, and you’d like to have someone ready for Stewart fairly soon.

In the midfield, which you’ve already mentioned, there’s a few players to replace.

Up forward, you’re right, there’s no replacing Hawk, but similar to Stewart, you’d also want something in the pipeline for Cameron who’s 30 next year as well.

I don’t know Geelong’s list very well outside the big names, but you’d have to have players lined up for the inevitable with Cameron and Stewart both turning 30 next year.
We've got way more time with the names you mention than the ones in the midfield. If they're currently under 30 they don't even rate a mention tbh.

Plus the midfield is like the lead singer in a band. You replace all the others and you keep belting out the hits. You replace the lead singer and its a different band.

Its not really a luxury when stanley and ceglar are close to the end and conway is 2-3 years away which is the exact window we have before our vets retire. Grundy increases our chance of winning flags in that window. The risk is the long term contract particularly with him currently being injured as we have a bad record with injured trade in rucks. If you think you can keep him fit then you chase him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. If its long term you go to the draft if its 23-24 then you chase missing pieces at the right price.

Its not really a luxury when stanley and ceglar are close to the end and conway is 2-3 years away which is the exact window we have before our vets retire. Grundy increases our chance of winning flags in that window. The risk is the long term contract particularly with him currently being injured as we have a bad record with injured trade in rucks. If you think you can keep him fit then you chase him.
I guess it all depends on costs but I just don't want to lose sight of the half dozen mids we need to add over the next 3 years. I dunno if adding him buys us any success

Going to Dees wont end well. He's not a good forward so it'll be up to Gawn to play there more. I think that's what he wants though. It looks like injuries are starting to creep up on him and so playing more forward will allow him to play longer.

Geelong makes more sense but I think they don't have the money this time. The Cameron contract is their biggest and like franklin at swans it's going push the limits of what they can offer. Another high contract is going to change how Geelong operate from next year and it could be their undoing.

Going to Dees wont end well. He's not a good forward so it'll be up to Gawn to play there more. I think that's what he wants though. It looks like injuries are starting to creep up on him and so playing more forward will allow him to play longer.

Geelong makes more sense but I think they don't have the money this time. The Cameron contract is their biggest and like franklin at swans it's going push the limits of what they can offer. Another high contract is going to change how Geelong operate from next year and it could be their undoing.
Mate, in 2.5 years he'll be at the midpoint of the contract and we'll have had so many retirements we'll struggle to hit the cap floor.

Mate, in 2.5 years he'll be at the midpoint of the contract and we'll have had so many retirements we'll struggle to hit the cap floor.
+ the option to re-jig it to accommodate by front ending or back ending so you’re both meeting the floor cap or flip side of not exceeding the cap.

We have basically no one contracted past 24-25 except jezza and guthrie. We have stacks of cap room. Whether grundy wants to come here and whether collingwood would trade him here is the bigger issue.

Geelong are losing potentially a player or two every year through retirements, including the likes of Selwood. Danger will take a paycut, as will Hawkins. Geelong will have the money for Grundy, even if they need to back end it. I am more worried about whether they will have the picks to satisfy Collingwood, and that I doubt.

thing about grundy is not the contract, i dont mind paying him if he plays to his level. is his injuries, wont be fun paying a guy that amount of coin just to visit the medial room 3 times a week.

Geelong are losing potentially a player or two every year through retirements, including the likes of Selwood. Danger will take a paycut, as will Hawkins. Geelong will have the money for Grundy, even if they need to back end it. I am more worried about whether they will have the picks to satisfy Collingwood, and that I doubt.
I think if you take Grundy’s entire contract, we would happily accept your late 1st I would think.

I think if you take Grundy’s entire contract, we would happily accept your late 1st I would think.

Surely Collingwood would want more than that for Grundy? If he gets to anywhere near his best for Geelong, the Cats would drastically improve. Grundy would basically just replace Stanley; that is like replacing Cordy with Steven May. I can't see Collingwood just happily handing Grundy over for one pick to one of their main potential competitors?

Surely Collingwood would want more than that for Grundy? If he gets to anywhere near his best for Geelong, the Cats would drastically improve. Grundy would basically just replace Stanley; that is like replacing Cordy with Steven May. I can't see Collingwood just happily handing Grundy over for one pick to one of their main potential competitors?
The value of taking that salary cap off the books is pretty substantial. It's a noose that will hang them if they don't get it off

If Luke Jackson is worth two firsts and maybe a third then Grundy should get a first and something else like a second since pies paying some of the contract. Like who knows now with all the pick swaps clubs can do now helping each other and if they really rate a player to pay fair value in draft picks like Geelong did with Jeremy Cameron.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back