Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 27 and only paying Grundy around 600k is pretty good if we do that. Like Ben Brown I wasn’t overly keen to get him but got him for very little. So if this is the Grundy deal I’ll take it.

In the event things fall through with Collingwood. What is Melbourne’s back up plan for a ruckman once Jackson goes?

In the event things fall through with Collingwood. What is Melbourne’s back up plan for a ruckman once Jackson goes?
I’ll be very surprised if things fall through given both list managers have said it’s happening. However we would have to rely on finding another ruck who might be leaving, no idea who or a state league ruck. Or hope Gawn hold up and maybe Weideman or JVR plays a role.

Last edited:

The watch is Mcstay vs Grundy going forward, they've essentially rid themselves of Grundy to pay for Mcstay and change. Which is fair enough if they think it's a net positive.

The net $ benefit of the Pies swapping Grundy and McStay is $100k per year.

$1m less $300k = $700k freed up.

Less McStay $600k

Balance $100k.

Pies are rating a B + 3rd tall forward over a multiple AA ruck.

It's not falling through bro..
I don’t think it is. More so the from a perspective of bargaining table, who has more power? It’ll probably be pick 27, but I wouldn’t be disappointed if the Pies pushed for more. Particularly as Melbourne have a need for Grundy just as much as the Pies want to clear that cap space.

Worst case for the Dees is they don’t get a ruckman to support Gawn, and for the Pies, they can’t get Mitchell.

I don’t think it is. More so the from a perspective of bargaining table, who has more power? It’ll probably be pick 27, but I wouldn’t be disappointed if the Pies pushed for more. Particularly as Melbourne have a need for Grundy just as much as the Pies want to clear that cap space.

Worst case for the Dees is they don’t get a ruckman to support Gawn, and for the Pies, they can’t get Mitchell.
Melbourne don't have any need for Grundy. He doesn't really help us. We can get some flop like Weideman to play 2nd ruck if need be. Or better yet, just play 1 ruck. Power is definitely with Melbourne as Coll are salary dumping but both of the clubs are going to get the deal done. It's already done I reckon.

Melbourne don't have any need for Grundy. He doesn't really help us. We can get some flop like Weideman to play 2nd ruck if need be. Or better yet, just play 1 ruck. Power is definitely with Melbourne as Coll are salary dumping but both of the clubs are going to get the deal done. It's already done I reckon.
Melbourne are clearly going all-in on the dominant ruck duo strategy.

I do agree that Melbourne have the easier fall back position should the Grundy deal not happen of using Weideman or similar as a relief ruck and looking for a fringe ruck on the cheap elsewhere.

Collingwood don’t get to deal for a player they want if the Grundy deal doesn’t happen, plus would be stuck with $1m a year for a player where the relationship now is probably really damaged.

Collingwood need this trade to happen more than Melbourne need it to happen, so I see Melbourne being in the slightly stronger position.

List and salary cap management is very sophisticated. There’s no way Collingwood have signed De Goey, committed to McStay and are going after several other established AFL players in complete isolation of the Grundy situation.

But all three parties want it to happen, so it will get done.

Because none of us willl ever know the salary cap and financial machinations, plus the genuine opportunity cost opened up for Collingwood by making the trade, and will only see the draft picks traded, it will be impossible to tell who “won the trade”.

Pies dont want him. Pies have told him they dont want him. Pies are willing to pay a chunk of his salary.

Pretty obvious where the leverage lies.

Sounds awfully familiar to me.....

Brodie Grundy for pick 27 is astounding.

Acres for a 3rd... Bowes and a pick for not much... This sure is a crazy week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weideman/McDonald as the back up ruck I would have thought

Pick 27 and only paying Grundy around 600k is pretty good if we do that. Like Ben Brown I wasn’t overly keen to get him but got him for very little. So if this is the Grundy deal I’ll take it.
If thats the deal you are robbing collingwood blind.

grundy is the same age as cameron when we drafted him. We paid 3 first rounders for cameron (who was also coming off an injury plagued year) and well over 600 thousand

If thats the deal you are robbing collingwood blind.

grundy is the same age as cameron when we drafted him. We paid 3 first rounders for cameron (who was also coming off an injury plagued year) and well over 600 thousand

GWS wanted to keep Cameron
Collingwood don’t want to keep Grundy

GWS wanted to keep Cameron
Collingwood don’t want to keep Grundy

Why? Unless his body is cooked it makes no sense and if its cooked why would melb trade for him? This trade is all very odd to me but then again collingwoods list management is very odd.

Why? Unless his body is cooked it makes no sense and if its cooked why would melb trade for him? This trade is all very odd to me but then again collingwoods list management is very odd.

Because they know there is no way they could of re-signed JDG and brought in Hill/McStay etc if Grundy stayed.

I’ve said earlier in this thread it’s similar to Ben Brown, North took away a contract extension after an injury and it’s still affecting him. Brown said in a interview that part of the reason he wanted to go to Melbourne was they had a plan to manage his knee for the rest of his career. Brown worked out for Melbourne’s plan winning a premiership but still have to deal with managing him.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Grundy was in a similar boat, Collingwood want to get off dealing with his body not at 100% while Melbourne see it as a cheaper option to help push for another flag. Not that I know that this is the case, just wouldn’t surprise me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back