Traded Brodie Grundy [traded to Sydney for #46 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really. Any uncertainty reduces his trade value, which is a Melbourne problem.
To me it sounds like the deal is between Grundy and Collingwood. Sydney or whoever takes him won’t be coughing up Collingwood’s portion. So if he wants to stay to pick up the extra cash that’s on him. IMO Collingwood will be paying him wherever he goes.

To me it sounds like the deal is between Grundy and Collingwood. Sydney or whoever takes him won’t be coughing up Collingwood’s portion. So if he wants to stay to pick up the extra cash that’s on him. IMO Collingwood will be paying him wherever he goes.
To be honest Collingwood's care value would be very little. We expect to continue to pay our fraction of his wage. If however the deal needs to be signed off with Collingwood's approval. Someone is going to take a portion of our payments, or why bother helping rivals get better. From a Collingwood point of view we would prefer Grundy at Melbourne stopping their forward line getting better then at Sydney which has the potential of improving Sydney. Why help our two final contenders.

To be honest Collingwood's care value would be very little. We expect to continue to pay our fraction of his wage. If however the deal needs to be signed off with Collingwood's approval. Someone is going to take a portion of our payments, or why bother helping rivals get better. From a Collingwood point of view we would prefer Grundy at Melbourne stopping their forward line getting better then at Sydney which has the potential of improving Sydney. Why help our two final contenders.
From the sounds of it Collingwood will pay their portion and all of it. Or no one pays it. There’s no way he’s at Melbourne next year.

From the sounds of it Collingwood will pay their portion and all of it. Or no one pays it. There’s no way he’s at Melbourne next year.
I expect your first sentence to be the case. However Melbourne are currently paying about 650k for him over the next 4 years. They may be hypothetically okay with freeing up 600k and taking on say 50k of Grundy's contract a year to move him to Sydney. There are other possibilities as well, like Sydney paying a little more say 700k and giving Melbourne a 3rd rounder or Grundy taking a small pay cut. I expect that Collingwood will have to continue to pay the full amount of their agreed amount. However hypothetically if they didnt have to, why help two contenders get better?

I expect your first sentence to be the case. However Melbourne are currently paying about 650k for him over the next 4 years. They may be hypothetically okay with freeing up 600k and taking on say 50k of Grundy's contract a year to move him to Sydney. There are other possibilities as well, like Sydney paying a little more say 700k and giving Melbourne a 3rd rounder or Grundy taking a small pay cut. I expect that Collingwood will have to continue to pay the full amount of their agreed amount. However hypothetically if they didnt have to, why help two contenders get better?
Oh yeah look if they can get out of it then that’s some genius contract negotiation there. And agree no point helping others out. If Dees had to pay 50k for a better pick they’d wear that you’d think. We have most our stars signed up long term as it stands.

Yeah, things will get interesting if it turns out Collingwood are no longer obligated to continue paying Grundy if he leaves Melbourne. As you say, the obvious move for Collingwood is just to refuse to agree to keep paying the previously agreed amount. Still, that might mean he stays at Melbourne, in which case Collingwood have to keep paying! You could imagine a scenario where Melbourne (or Sydney) offer them a sweetener (e.g. cutting Collingwood's outlay in half) to get them to agree.

Yeah, things will get interesting if it turns out Collingwood are no longer obligated to continue paying Grundy if he leaves Melbourne.
There are legal contracts in place. Collingwood is legally contracted to pay Grundy $350K for the next 4 years. The AFL does not have the power to cancel the contract either. The best Collingwood can hope for is that AFL let's them pay it outside if the cap - which would be totally unfair to the other 17 teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are legal contracts in place. Collingwood is legally contracted to pay Grundy $350K for the next 4 years. The AFL does not have the power to cancel the contract either. The best Collingwood can hope for is that AFL let's them pay it outside if the cap - which would be totally unfair to the other 17 teams.
Unfair but the norm for Collingwood.
Just look at the Beams contract
4 year 2 million dollar backended deal that got wiped from their cap

Que?

Grundy is a VFL player (being paid by collingwood) and Adams is semi cooked.

Add to that buddy retired and we don't really have any big fish atm
Pies get to rip up the deal to pay his contract if Melbourne trades him, as their deal was with Melbourne not Grundy.

Means Sydney will either be paying that $900k a year or Melbourne will be paying some of it.

Via Channel 7 -
Grundy was on around $900,000 a year at Collingwood and the Pies agreed to pay a portion of his contract while he was at Melbourne - somewhere between $250-300,000. But Browne says, under the contract terms, that agreement exists only between Collingwood and Melbourne.

Pies get to rip up the deal to pay his contract if Melbourne trades him, as their deal was with Melbourne not Grundy.

Means Sydney will either be paying that $900k a year or Melbourne will be paying some of it.

Via Channel 7 -
Grundy was on around $900,000 a year at Collingwood and the Pies agreed to pay a portion of his contract while he was at Melbourne - somewhere between $250-300,000. But Browne says, under the contract terms, that agreement exists only between Collingwood and Melbourne.

This has been knocked on the head.

It was determined the deal was between Collingwood and Grundy.

Collingwood will be paying for the remainder of his agreement.

Via Channel 7 -
This is wrong.

I've got the contract sitting in front of me.

It's between the Pies and Melbourne.

All for it if you wish to divulge the details of said contract.

Feel free to take pictures and send through a DM of a contract.

Not something I would feel wpuld be freely available to the public

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Brodie Grundy [traded to Sydney for #46 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back