Scandal Brownlow Betting Scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

That R11 game with SPP is a bit of an eye raiser. Wasn't even in Ports bests on the day so I'm guessing would have had pretty long odds on the 3 votes
That's the one that stood out to me.
Without watching the games, you could make arguments that the others got votes in the other games, but SPP looked a long way off the best.

Right so since I’m sick of everyone making vague accusations without actually making accusations, just to be clear, other users in this thread are accusing the umpire Michael Pell of being implicated in this scandal.
I personally know Michael, umpired with him in the EDFL was a great kid who worked his ass off to make it to AFL level, would be surprised if he has done anything stupid enough to throw it all away..

If there is evidence of cheating then surely the medal has to be stripped. The whole count should be void

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
There's no evidence of cheating. There's evidence that inside information was provided to 3rd parties for the purpose of betting.

So just wondering, where does this leave the integrity of the vote this year?
Unchanged. Cripps is still undeserving because he shouldn't have been eligible. Or something sooky like that.

I personally know Michael, umpired with him in the EDFL was a great kid who worked his ass off to make it to AFL level, would be surprised if he has done anything stupid enough to throw it all away..
It's entirely possible that it was just a few innocent, off the cuff remarks among friends during a few beers and it's just snowballed.
He might not have realised he'd given anything away. Might have told them not to bet. Might not have known that any bets were placed.

There's no evidence of cheating. There's evidence that inside information was provided to 3rd parties for the purpose of betting.

Unchanged. Cripps is still undeserving because he shouldn't have been eligible. Or something sooky like that.
Getting 2 votes when you have more clangers than kicks is unusual though

Cripps was a worthy winner and that wont change

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s him because you say it is?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There was a Michael Pell in the dandy magistrates court today.

Not necessarily the same guy, but looking at the charges it could be.

The Crows game is the odd one to me, his stat line was nice but his impact? Not sure on that one.
Are you kidding?

His game v Crows in our 5-goal loss was one of the all time sporting performances.

I watched it twice in the lead up to the Brownlow and once afterward to relive the glory.

Last edited:
Getting 2 votes when you have more clangers than kicks is unusual though
Of course. The SPP votes in round 11 look extremely out of place, but I don't recall watching the game.
Playing devil's advocate, performance is fairly subjective when it comes to voting. He had 8 score involvements (over half his touches resulted in a score) in a fairly low scoring game and a game high 5 shots on goal (even though he only scored one). 6 tackles and 24 pressure acts is pretty high for someone who would've spent a fair bit of the game forward.
Those things could get you noticed in a game where only 1 player kicked multiple goals. 3 shots on goal in 3 minutes during the 2nd quarter when Port got out to their biggest lead and the last score in the match halfway through the 4th.

It doesn't look good when you just look at the stats, but there's reasons why he might have been noticed more than others.
How exactly do the umpires vote? Do each of the field umps give their own 3-2-1? Do they discuss it and come to a consensus?

Hey don’t get all defensive. I wasn’t actually even thinking about the overall winner. It was more a question around the voting.

I for one think Cripps is deserving - the fact that he got off the suspension was in my opinion very lucky for him (cry about that of you want but yeah he was lucky) - but whatever, he won off the back of a good year.

Are you kidding?

His game v Crows in our 5-goal los was one of the all time sporting performances.

I watch it twice in the lead up to the Brownlow and once afterward to relive the glory.
Someone's gotta get out more, you rewatched the worst game of the season, twice... The game that absolutely cost you a Finals spot. The unloseable game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scandal Brownlow Betting Scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back