Updated Bruce Lehrmann Pt2 * Reynolds Defamation Trial Current

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is PART 1

Historical Rape Allegation Against Fmr AG Christian Porter
The Alexander Matters matters

Just a reminder, this is the crime board and we need to be aware that there will be victims of crime either watching this thread or engaging in here from time to time. A degree of respect in all discussions is expected.

LINK TO TIMELINE
CJS INQUIRY
FINAL REPORT – BOARD OF INQUIRY – CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM
Joint media statement – Chief Minister and Attorney-General

FIONA BROWN - AFFIDAVIT

Last edited:
Higgins has said she felt she had to make a choice.

I actually cannot imagine the pain and stress it took for BH to go into work each day.
The shame one feels when r*ped is immense.
To think her callous boss had meetings with her about the rape, in the area the rape occured.

I actually cannot imagine the pain and stress it took for BH to go into work each day.
The shame one feels when r*ped is immense.
To think her callous boss had meetings with her about the rape, in the area the rape occured.
Disappointing part is that it never crossed her mind. It suggests that the woman’s welfare was far from her priority - it was all about Reynolds. A common problem, as the status, benefits and pay associated with management positions attract the avaricious.

Decent managers, interpersonal skills aside, are good problem solvers. They relish staff bringing to their attention (constructive feedback) areas that require improvement - they certainly do not make it about them being judged unfairly, and politically attacked, should anyone insinuate they are not one of the great leaders.

Last edited:
Disappointing part is that it never crossed her mind. It suggests that the woman’s welfare was far from her priority - it was all about Reynolds. A common problem, as the status, benefits and pay associated with management positions attract the avaricious.

Decent managers, interpersonal skills aside, are good problem solvers. They relish staff bringing to their attention (constructive feedback) areas that require improvement - they certainly do not make it about them being judged unfairly, and politically attacked, should anyone insinuate they are not one of the great leaders.
Authentic Managers are solutions focused.

Authentic Managers are solutions focused.
Good leaders put the welfare of their team, as opposed to their career progression, first and foremost. Not because of legislated OH&S rules and regulations, but because it is the right thing to do.

By her actions subsequent to being informed of the rape of her junior staffer in her office, Reynolds has clearly demonstrated she was not, is not and will never be a good leader , especially at the micro level such as the small team level that is present in a Ministerial Office of less than a dozen staff.

IMHO her public self promotional statements as published on her political website, that she is a champion of women's rights, are worthy of the ridicule they have since attracted.

Reynolds actions in the WA Supreme Court are all about allocating blame. Specifically publicly blaming and financially destroying her former staffer and rape survivor for her reputation as a leader being trashed.

The truth is much closer to home.

A moment of self reflection in her hallway mirror would have saved her, the WA legal system and everyone else she has touched with her legal action a shit load of time and money.

Last edited:

There's no one-size-fits-all 'good manager'. Different organisations at different levels in different circumstances require different approaches. While managers have a duty of care to their reportees, they are not employed by them and their their first priority is likely The organisation that pays them. This obviously manifests itself across a range of scenarios, actions and reactions. I'm reminded of advice an experienced officer gave me regarding relating to prisoners - be friendly to them, but not their friend.

They did though.

It's a furphy of the more extreme version of the maltreatment myth that Higgins was 'just' given an EAP brochure, frogmarched to the AFP and then let the AFP's 'wrap-around' support service do their thing and that the likes of Brown and Reynolds dusted their hands and said "Job done!".

There aren't strong contemporaneous notes from that time (eg. designated 'check in' meetings), but there is other information.

For example, on 19 June 2019 some months after the first AFP meeting, Brown received a text from Higgins “I wanted to say this in person, but I cannot overstate how much I valued your support and advice throughout this period. You've ben absolutely incredible and I'm so appreciative.".

Another in contact with Higgins was Acting Chief of Staff, Dean Carlson, who took over from Brown not long after the AFP introduction. Brown checked in on him about Higgins and expressed no concerns.

Post election 'the band' all went their separate ways and Higgins gave Reynolds a bunch of flowers and thanked her.

I'm sure internal processes are different after this event, but the painting of a completely indifferent environment is not backed up by the evidence.
This appears to be all work related and I imagine it was a bit of a whirlwind for B going through what she did and then straight into weeks of campaigning.
Did she have time to reflect on what had happened and have time to really start the process of healing?
Has anyone said when they’ve followed up about her wellbeing (job aside?) It’s every employers responsibility to do this and if they aren’t, they’re not doing the right thing.

This appears to be all work related and I imagine it was a bit of a whirlwind for B going through what she did and then straight into weeks of campaigning.
Did she have time to reflect on what had happened and have time to really start the process of healing?
Has anyone said when they’ve followed up about her wellbeing (job aside?) It’s every employers responsibility to do this and if they aren’t, they’re not doing the right thing.
Unfortunately, believe it or not in the 2020s, there are a few Theory X ‘would be’ managers on here.

There's no one-size-fits-all 'good manager'.

But there IS 'best practice' when it comes to good personnel management.

While managers have a duty of care to their reportees, they are not employed by them and their their first priority is likely The organisation that pays them.
Getting off topic here.

But have you heard of the 360 performance review process?

That most successful organisations, including those in the Fortune 500 ;), use them to evaluate the performance of managers?

Could it be that a good manager at any level, who maintains relationships across all directions, and not just up to their direct reports/ bosses is the very best manager?

That they understand the best practice notion that a manager who understands their responsibilities to individual and collective staff welfare (and not just the bottom line of corporate profitability or political success) is what's in the best long term interests of the organisation, regardless of size?

I'm reminded of advice an experienced officer gave me regarding relating to prisoners - be friendly to them, but not their friend.

Depends what your performance criteria is I guess, but to be perfectly honest I'm not sure that the advice of a prison guard (or a concentration camp commandant) is the best source of generally applicable management advice . ;)

Last edited:

Could it be that a good manager at any level, who maintains relationships across all directions, and not just up to their direct reports/ bosses is the very best manager?
I think best practice for personnel management, as is so often the case, is adaptive management. One isn't going to manage the same way when laying off staff as when trying to grow a department in a full employment environment, for example. Ultimately, an employee's objectives should be those of the employer.

... to be perfectly honest I'm not sure that the advice of a prison guard (or a concentration camp commandant) is the best source of generally applicable management advice . ;)
No, it's excellent advice worth remembering and, if not applying, at least referencing/considering (because others will be applying it) when you are required to interact with and relate to people who are not your friends. It has definitely helped me more effectively and positively process and navigate relationships with managers and, in particular, have more realistic expectations.

Last edited:
I think best practice for personnel management, as is so often the case, is adaptive management. One isn't going to manage the same way when laying off staff as when trying to grow a department in a full employment environment, for example. Ultimately, an employee's objectives should be those of the employer.

No, it's excellent advice worth remembering and, if not applying, at least referencing/considering (because others will be applying it) when you are required to interact with and relate to people who are not your friends. It has definitely helped me more effectively and positively process and navigate relationships with managers and, in particular, have more realistic expectations.
Yep. All good points. But just not convinced of their relevance to this series of events.

Getting off topic here.

But have you heard of the 360 performance review process?

That most successful organisations, including those in the Fortune 500 ;), use them to evaluate the performance of managers?

That they understand the best practice notion that a manager who understands their responsibilities to individual and collective staff welfare (and not just the bottom line of corporate profitability or political success) is what's in the best long term interests of the organisation, regardless of size?

Depends what your performance criteria is I guess, but to be perfectly honest I'm not sure that the advice of a prison guard (or a concentration camp commandant) is the best source of generally applicable management advice . ;)
360 is tough, one of the few review mechanisms that leaves you with no place to hide. I’ve done three and learnt a lot about myself.

Has anyone said when they’ve followed up about her wellbeing (job aside?)

Yes, Fiona Brown and Dean Carlson (who I assume as acting Chiefs of Staff were her direct reports).

Drew Burland from the Ministerial Office had been looped in that there were issues placing Higgins due to an unspecified incident that he wasn't fully briefed on.

From Fiona Brown's affidavit, there is this interesting claim:

1724615706284.png

Again, the projection from one side that the staff internally were basically 'numb and dumb' doesn't stack up with the evidence.

Now, was there enough sufficient immediate support? Was there an over-reliance on the EAP (heaven forbid that you'd expect good service that you pay for, actually works!)? Was there an over-reliance on the 'wraparound' service from the AFP? What happens if there is too much support from various services?

All fair questions and from every crisis, you'll find faults in processes. I know I'm not meant to quote Lee's findings, but this is the last sentence of the verdict which is pertinent to what we are discussing and is aimed at the two media outlets and should also apply to any 'Wannabe Wilkinson':

1724617354695.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drew Burland from the Ministerial Office had been looped in that there were issues placing Higgins due to an unspecified incident that he wasn't fully briefed on.

Is this not demonstrating one of the many difficulties in Higgins staying on?

Yes, Fiona Brown and Dean Carlson (who I assume as acting Chiefs of Staff were her direct reports).

From Fiona Brown's affidavit, there is this interesting claim:

View attachment 2091911

Again, the projection from one side that the staff internally were basically 'numb and dumb' doesn't stack up with the evidence.

Now, was there enough sufficient immediate support? Was there an over-reliance on the EAP (heaven forbid that you'd expect good service that you pay for, actually works!)? Was there an over-reliance on the 'wraparound' service from the AFP? What happens if there is too much support from various services?

All fair questions and from every crisis, you'll find faults in processes. I know I'm not meant to quote Lee's findings, but this is the last sentence of the verdict which is pertinent to what we are discussing and is aimed at the two media outlets and should also apply to any 'Wannabe Wilkinson':

View attachment 2091918
As I’m not a ‘wannabe Wilkinson’ and a person with a view, I can see that you’re saying people knew but I’ve yet to see any evidence of a follow up with B after walking her to AFP. If I saw that I might have a different view.
There’s a huge difference between AFP referral for support and support from an employer, opposed to too many other support services (although it seems B was referred to one by AFP whilst waiting for EAP to kick in which also doesn’t appear right to me.) If you’re employee had to wait a month for EAP after they’d been r*ped in the workplace and you followed up with them and they told you, you’d offer to contact them to seek immediate support for your employee from EAP. This does happen in work places.

Last edited:
Also worth remembering that BH had only literally turned 24 when this happened to her... Like at that age, your first professional job, in PH, you would def feel the pressure to act a certain way. You would 100% be petrified of ruining your newly established network and possibly a career you've literally just started.

Not to mention you'd 100% be trusting your senior female boss, the Defence minister of all people, to help you through an unusual, traumatic situation. I know I would have at that age!

We're all talking like BH was in her 40s with the hindsight and wisdom of someone who had worked in politics of all professions for half her life!

Most of us in here suspect Higgins is going to lose something but, she has a pretty good defence based on truth and qualified privilege.

Excellent overview here.

360 is tough, one of the few review mechanisms that leaves you with no place to hide. I’ve done three and learnt a lot about myself.
Did you, like me, spend a lot of time wondering about that one outlier in your feedback who gave you low scores on most categories and obviously hates your guts? Never was able to work out who that fecker was (not that I bear grudges of course ;) )

Maybe I should have done a Linda Reynolds - lawyered up, and sued them for defamation.

Last edited:
Reynolds had many opportunities and didn't ask for her jacket back. That she didn't and then used it against Higgins to frame her as dishonest and a thief, speaks volumes imo.

Here's Reynolds testifying. This is something she also said on the Spotlight interview, along with agreeing that the rape may not have been committed.

"It did annoy me … I was still upset my jacket had been stolen."

Is this not demonstrating one of the many difficulties in Higgins staying on?

Not in my view. There is always a 'need to know' to prevent leaks and ensure the agency and anonymity of the claimed victim.

Remember, she had concerns about becoming known as the girl who was r*ped in parliament. Do you want to ensure that exact scenario by propagating those who are in the know?

Seems like a 'dammed if you do, dammed if you don't scenario' that can be spun which ever way you please.

Systemic problems and confidentiality does not equal a threat to someone's job if they chose to proceed with charges and not does in infer that they won't get support.

At the end of the day though, Carlson knew because he was her direct report. And if Brown's testimony is correct, Burland eventually knew because Higgins told him.

Not in my view. There is always a 'need to know' to prevent leaks and ensure the agency and anonymity of the claimed victim.

Remember, she had concerns about becoming known as the girl who was r*ped in parliament. Do you want to ensure that exact scenario by propagating those who are in the know?

Seems like a 'dammed if you do, dammed if you don't scenario' that can be spun which ever way you please.

Systemic problems and confidentiality does not equal a threat to someone's job if they chose to proceed with charges and not does in infer that they won't get support.

At the end of the day though, Carlson knew because he was her direct report. And if Brown's testimony is correct, Burland eventually knew because Higgins told him.

I'm not referring to who knew what when if I'm pretty confident nearly everybody in PH knew Higgins was at the centre of some kind of scandal.

What does "placing" her mean?

Remove this Banner Ad

Updated Bruce Lehrmann Pt2 * Reynolds Defamation Trial Current

Remove this Banner Ad

Back