Bruce McAvaney retires from commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

In play he is a very good caller of the game.

He’s enthusiastic with a sense of humour in the right situation.

Doesn’t take himself too seriously

He’s goes ok
Incredibly disingenuous hey?

Do yourself a favour ..stop using the word disingenuous and just save it for special occasions.

Use it too much snd you run the risk of sounding disingenuous.

Sorry Mrs Brayshaw

so "part of the coverage" meaning what? guest host? (articles are saying he's not calling the games)

EDIT: Hun article is saying McAvaney will join Channel 7’s team including James Brayshaw, Luke Darcy and Abbey Holmes in a key hosting role for the blockbuster preliminary finals on Friday and Saturday as well as the 2024 AFL grand final on Saturday week.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never understood the dislike or distain many have for him. He & Cometti formed a duo that was a huge part, of a very long time period of footy viewing, and their idiosyncrasies were just quirks like all humans have. At least they had passion for the game, and Bruce had a remarkable, encyclopedic knowledge of the players & the teams, and even across to his commentary in racing, olympics, and tennis.

Same for Anthony Hudson, so many iconic calls at key moments have made him, to me, part of footy folklore. Who the hell hasn't heard the "Nick Davis, Nick Davis, I don't believe it, I see it but I don't believe it" call?

Looking forward to hearing him on the coverage, will be nostalgic.

I am eternally grateful they did not drag his rotting corpse out to ruin last years GF.

Thank you Zeus.

AFL GF 2024 now just a smidge less watchable, unless Sydney COLA make it.
Then.
Unwatched.
Kulcha my anus.

Never understood the dislike or distain many have for him. He & Cometti formed a duo that was a huge part, of a very long time period of footy viewing, and their idiosyncrasies were just quirks like all humans have. At least they had passion for the game, and Bruce had a remarkable, encyclopedic knowledge of the players & the teams, and even across to his commentary in racing, olympics, and tennis.

Same for Anthony Hudson, so many iconic calls at key moments have made him, to me, part of footy folklore. Who the hell hasn't heard the "Nick Davis, Nick Davis, I don't believe it, I see it but I don't believe it" call?

Looking forward to hearing him on the coverage, will be nostalgic.
Bruce is puss come in human form to fawn and slime and uncle pervy all over a game, a team, a player, even a horse.
His slimey touchy feelyness is on a par with kiddy fiddlers.
Catholic priests are less suss than Bruce.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruce McAvaney retires from commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back