Bruce Springsteen

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally had a chance to watch the Fallon performances and whilst they were most enjoyable, I felt something was lacking with Bruce's voice, especially during We Take Care of Our Own...I dunno, just lacked a certain 'roughness' and really didn't make it stand out too much more to me than the studio version. The energy was certainly there between the band members though, as you'd expect.

Wrecking Ball was great and full of energy, but I think every performance is going to pale in comparison to the original debut at Giants Stadium.

Anyway, overall, worth the 1.5gb download! Looking fwd to grabbing the torrent of Friday's show on Sunday hopefully. Last time he did a full show with Fallon it was great, especially the interview...the old man is just so damn cool!

Btw, album has really grown on me after a few more listens. Lovin...

Jack of All Trades (makes me think of my father in law - mr fix it haha)
Death to my Hometown - Love the big beat
Easy Money - Reminds me of general theme of The Rising (few songs on this album do actually)
This Depression - Just wow. Easily my favorite. Such a big song. Depressing, uplifting, dark, beautiful, the song has it all. So much emotion packed in to 4 minutes.

I feel it tapers towards the second half of the disc and loses some of the energy, but overall it's pretty solid.

Announce some Aussie dates already!!

I thought his voice was fine. If he can sustain that level all tour, it will be stellar once again. It had the kick, the grunt and the power it always has IMO. Thought We Take Care Of Our Own was awesome live, really could feel the energy, can definitely see it opening shows.

Yeah, I really, really like this album. It grows on me each time. Don't really think there is a weak song on it. Not as good as The Magic or The Rising, but it's very good.

If you find a torrent for Friday's Fallon show, post it in here please.

Seeing a cover band tomorrow. 9.15-12 they're playing. Going to be awesome, really excited.

I was going to wait until the official release but finally caved & grabbed the leaked download. Its a great album, i love that he's changing it up & not just pumping out a rock album for the sake of it. Rocky Ground is a great track,cant wait to hear that live.When i heard Wrecking Ball (the song) was going to be on it, i cringed because i thought it was just a throwaway song about Giants Stadium.Surprisingly its probably the song ive been listening to most so far. His vocals on that are fantastic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

50) Because The Night

Love is a banquet upon which we feed

Personally, this song has seen inconsistent views with me. When I first heard it, I thought it was okay, nothing special. It would sit in my playlist and not really garner many plays. I think it’s because the only version I had was 75-85 version. And for me, I prefer Bruce’s voice more as he got older.

Then the Darkness Box Set came out and the original was on there. I listened to it the whole way through and discovered it really is a great song. I know this completely contradicts what I said about Bruce’s voice. I have just never been that big on his 75-85 voice, even though many think it’s when he sounded best.

I managed to find a bootleg version from the WOAD Tour and it achieves some plays here and there.

Love the piano intro. You know what I am working my way to. I don't even need to say anything about it. It's a ripper.There is a version floating around on YouTube where he spins around eight times and then does a somersault…. While playing the solo. Such a talented guitarist.

I am surprised Bruce gave this to Patti Smith to be honest. Another song that would have been at home on Darkness.

[YOUTUBE]PfTawhDp0Rw[/YOUTUBE]

The flip happens around 3.40. First video is better all round IMO though.

[YOUTUBE]GTP2jWJZTVw[/YOUTUBE]

Have you seen this article Cruyff?

Bruce Springsteen Praises Patti Smith's 'Because the Night'
Bruce Springsteen has heaped praise on Patti Smith for transforming his song "Because the Night" into a rock classic, insisting he has no regrets about giving up the track in the early years of his career. The Boss wrote the tune during recording sessions for his album "Darkness on the Edge of Town", but he struggled to finish it and was persuaded to pass the track onto Smith by music mogul Jimmy Iovine during a drive to New York beach resort Coney Island.
Bruce Springsteen Praises Patti Smith's 'Because the Night'

Did anyone watch Insiders on ABC1 on Sunday morning??

The show always ends with Barry Cassidy asking the 3 journo's to give their final tips and observations for the week. The last journo was Dennis Atkins who has worked in and covered politics across Australia for more than 30 years, including about 15 years in Canberra. He is currently the Courier-Mail’s national affairs editor based in Brisbane, writing editorials, analysis and features as well as a regular political column, Party Games. This was his observation.

"I'm sure - Well I know that people who watch this program love politics. I'm sure that a lot of them like music. This coming week we're gonna see the release of Bruce Springsteen's new album, it's called Wrecking Ball. It's a reflection on the economic crisis in America and its the most political record we will have heard in a very long time."

See him say it from 2:15 minute mark in following video.

http://www.abc.net.au/insiders/content/2012/s3445126.htm

Not looking good for an Oz tour in the near future...

But, with long legs already planned for the E Street Band's tour of Britain, Europe and the US, he has no immediate plans to come here. ''It's such a damn long way away. We do get down there from time to time. I hope to get down there again. The last time all the power went out,'' he says, referring to power failures in Sydney. ''I hope there are generators down there [next time]. I hope the electricity is right,'' he says, laughing. ''I'd love to come back.''

:thumbsdown:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/entertainment/music/interview-bruce-springsteen-20120301-1u3xp.html

If you have ever seen Jon Stewart interview the Boss on his Daily Show or watched his 2009 Kennedy Honours speech that Ford Fairlane linked in post # 354, you will know he is a big fan of his music and the Boss' music has touch him profoundly. He is interviewed the Boss for Rolling Stone and the interview is in next weeks edition.

Jon Stewart Interviews Bruce Springsteen for Rolling Stone

'The Daily Show' host goes in-depth with the rocker about music and politics

By Rolling Stone
March 7, 2012 1:00 PM ET

Jon Stewart has interviewed Bruce Springsteen for the cover story in the next issue of Rolling Stone, on newsstands March 16th.

"It’s not at all surreal," Stewart says with heavy sarcasm, referring to his friendship with the legendary rocker. "It’s very hard to reconcile sitting and fishing in a little pond in New Jersey with a guy that you spent many years hitchhiking the New Jersey I-95 corridor to see in Philadelphia back in the day. The only band I think I’ve seen more than Bruce Springsteen is the Springsteen tribute band Backstreets. I try not to let him know how pathetic I truly am."

Over the course of the conversation, Springsteen offers his take on Occupy Wall Street and the negative influence of what he calls the "big-money Wall Street hustle," explains why his new single "We Take Care of Our Own" is not "jingoistic" and opens up about how he's coping with the death of E Street Band saxophonist Clarence Clemons. "Losing Clarence was like losing the rain," Springsteen says. "You’re losing something that has been so elemental in your life for such a long time."

Jon Stewart’s interview with Bruce Springsteen will be available on newsstands and through Rolling Stone All Access on March 16th, 2012.

Jon Stewart Interviews Bruce Springsteen for Rolling Stone

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruce Springsteen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back