Bryce Gibbs - best 2 way player in the competition?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm assuming it's because I'm tired, but I don't quite get the point you're making regarding Hodge there. Hodge has MUCH more of a presence on the pitch than Gibbs and is the one that cops the tag, or 'minder' week in week out. He moves around the park wherever he's needed most and does more than his job... He's inspirational in his play, and his skill set is second-to-none at Hawthorn.

The only reason why I mentioned Hodge was because I believe he is the best two-way player in the AFL right now. Second to none. Then I moved onto the issue of Gibbs.

We've all seen over the last couple of seasons the kid has the ability to rack up the posessions. What I see is Gibb's playing a team role. He is in fact sacrificing his natural attacking game for the good of the team. The Blues need someone to stop the oppositions best midfielders and he is the most reliable at doing it while also averaging 23 touches himself. I think he is doing an outstanding job in a role that often goes unrewarded.

People who think anyone can tag/negate are kidding themselves. It takes someone who is supremely fit, disciplined and very team oriented to perform that role. A 30 second lapse in concentration can cost a goal, being lazy and not going with your man can cost your team. I reckon Gibbs is playing the role he is because no one at carlton can do it as well as him (similar to Hodge going back in 2008) plus it is a massive apprentiship running with the leagues best midfielders every week. He would be learning a lot when it comes to effort required to be the best, about positioning himself at the contest, about ability to gut run etc.

In the next couple of seasons we will see the tables turn and Gibbs will be the one being hunted. For now he is doing what is asked of him by his coach and he is doing a bloody good job of it.

This. This is likely the best post in this entire thread. Very well put. Doing exactly what is asked of him at a level as high as almost anyone in the entire league all the while learning all of the tactics that the league's top midfielders do.

Perhaps Hodge is further ahead of Gibbs than what I give Gibbs credit for. However, I mean no disrespect whatsoever to Luke Hodge. For the reasons you outlined above is why Hodge to me is one of my top few favorite players to watch in the entire league. You don't see one aspect of his game that is poor - he is among the elite at almost everything that he does. This is what I hope Gibbs aspires to because he more than any other player at the CFC has the potential to rise to that level.

Gibbs may not be getting 30 possessions every week but he's more often than not shutting an established star out of the game and winning his own ball.

I reckon Dale Thomas is an excellent two way player. Really destroys team in attack and although he doesn't tag an oppositions player he tackles, chases, smothers and runs harder to apply pressure than most. Dead set star.

Whilst Gibbs may not be an elite player yet, I think some are forgetting his relatively young age. Is doing everything that is being asked of him at the moment. Those who say that it is a waste for a #1 pick to be a tagger seem to be forgetting that this will most likely not be his role for the rest of his career

Sharrod Wellingham owns this thread.

can play a shut down role on an opposition mid while running off them and getting more ball. He's also very damaging and can play both inside and outside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bryce Gibbs - best 2 way player in the competition?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back