Bryce Gibbs or Trent Cotchin?

Who would you rather - Bryce Gibbs or Trent Cotchin?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

doesn't change the fact he's a natural born leader, and he will be the best captain we've had in a long time.

I couldn't see Gibbs captaining us.

he may well be a natural born leader (if there is such a thing) but i could see gibbs having a similar status at carlton given a similar quality/experience list level.

we have a numer of outstanding leaders at our club so it's petty hard to get a look in over here.

I think Gibbs has all the ability in the world, but he isn't hungry or hard enough for my liking. Cotchin is tough yet silky, Gibbs is just silky and that's it.

Depends how you interpret the Poll.

If you ask "Who has been better so far?" then Gibbs is clearly infront.

If you ask "Who is a better player right now?" then they are both pretty even in different ways.

And if you ask "Who is likely to be the better player?" Cotchin would get the nod from most unbiased supporters.

IMO Gibbs is a gun already, but Cotch will end up in that next level above.

I have given you a number of facts, go back and re-read them. yes, cotchin has had injuries but that's just the harsh reality of the game and it's a factor. look at how far kreuzer's stocks have fallen after his injury. i don't like it either but it's just the way of the world.

fact is, gibbs has achieved so much more and is way ahead of cotchin. as i said, cotchin has great potential and things could even up in the future. have to wait and see.

Unless there are some subliminal messages I've missed there's no need for me to re-read anything. Gibbs is an excellent player in his role as a receiver and distributor. Cotchin is an excellent player in his role as an extractor and distributor. Hard to compare and it's obvious that's where our biases take over.

Unless there are some subliminal messages I've missed there's no need for me to re-read anything. Gibbs is an excellent player in his role as a receiver and distributor. Cotchin is an excellent player in his role as an extractor and distributor. Hard to compare and it's obvious that's where our biases take over.

Add gibb's versatility to play as a back, fwd and tagging roles, thats why he gets the nod for mine as they are even when it comes to the roles you have mentioned.

One is an outside, finishing type player and the other is inside clearance type player....so the inside player is obviously going to be more geared towards contested ball? Also this poll isnt fair as gibbs doesnt play enough in the middle to do a like for like comparison.

I agree though gibbs at times doesnt go hard enough at the ball, however this was a knock on marc murphy and he improved that by leaps and bounds last year. If gibbs makes the same improvement this year...would it be 'closer' for you or change your mind?

Undoubtedly Gibbs was drafted as a midfielder, surely if Gibbs were capable of playing midfield atm he would be there, its not like there is another elite talent next to Judd and Murphy keeping him out. If Gibbs can transition to midfield and hardens up I will have no problem reassessing the situation, I could easily see him becoming a player in the Dal Santo mould and don't understand why he isn't in there.

As it stands, Cotchin went past Gibbs last year, a year younger with heaps of improvement left.

You'd take the more proven midfielder.

Hopefully for us Carlton supporters, Gibbs can change peoples' minds this year.
So Cotchin because he actually plays midfield.

Undoubtedly Gibbs was drafted as a midfielder, surely if Gibbs were capable of playing midfield atm he would be there, ...

Quite an ignorant comment. In 2009 Gibbs played midfield and did it well enough to poll top 10 in the Brownlow. Also, had the odd mid defensive stint last season and did exceptionally well. His playing other positions is not due to a midfield insufficiency on his part, but strength in other areas of his game. IMO it's a coaching mistake to use him in this way, but the word is this is going to change in 2012.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Gibbs has all the ability in the world, but he isn't hungry or hard enough for my liking.

I think this is pretty accurate and is what's holding Gibbs back from really fulfilling his talent. It comes pretty easy for him and I want to see some Nathan Buckley like determination to elevate his game. Training watchers say he's been a different player out on the track this pre-season, so I'm eager to see if this can translate to the season proper.

Quite an ignorant comment. In 2009 Gibbs played midfield and did it well enough to poll top 10 in the Brownlow. Also, had the odd mid defensive stint last season and did exceptionally well. His playing other positions is not due to a midfield insufficiency on his part, but strength in other areas of his game. IMO it's a coaching mistake to use him in this way, but the word is this is going to change in 2012.

It says more about the Brownlow than Gibbs. Out of Gibbs 15 votes 10 were against sides in the bottom 8, and more often than not had better stats in losses than wins showing how little influence he was having despite racking them up.

Ratten obviously realized that Gibbs wasn't going to make Carlton a better side by being the type of outside midfielder he was. The coaching department, clearly identified that in order for him to be effective as a midfielder he would have the learn the trade at either end, encouraging hard defensive efforts and pushing forward to score more, rather than just hiding outside the flanks waiting for the loose ball like he did for all of 2009. If anything its most likely an effective teaching strategy from Ratten.

I'm not denying that Gibbs hasn't developed into a very good footballer in his new role, he has and is up there with the very best utilities, I'd just prefer the pure midfielder until Gibbs can play in centre as more than a stat padder.

Good thing us Carlton supporters have voted for Gibbs, or this poll may have been somewhat more lop-sided than it already is.

Most neutrals would have Cotchin in front going forward, but I'll hold off my vote until we see the "exploding" Gibbs this year.

and what happens if cotchin stars?:eek: in all seriousness i said before the 2 players are completely different and you cant compare them.

and what happens if cotchin stars?:eek: in all seriousness i said before the 2 players are completely different and you cant compare them.

Yes and no. It may be something like comparing Dal Santo to Bartel.
Different players but people will still have their preferences.

Gibbs alike Deledio, has been used elsewhere other than his preferred position.
Gibbs is set to play mid a lot more this year so may be best to judge thereafter.

Gibbs alike Deledio, has been used elsewhere other than his preferred position.
His preferred position? Or ours?

Neither Gibbs, nor Deledio have proven themselves in the midfield despite ample opportunity to do so.

I don't think either of them have proven themselves out of the center to the standard of Cotchin, either.

His preferred position? Or ours?

Neither Gibbs, nor Deledio have proven themselves in the midfield despite ample opportunity to do so.

I don't think either of them have proven themselves out of the center to the standard of Cotchin, either.

Gibbs wants to play centre but a couple of guys by name of Judd and Murphy have taken precedence.
Gibbs has been used in a "Hodge" type role down back out of necessity rather than design.
With Laidler and Duigan capable of now holding down those roles, Gibbs had played centre and forward for the last 30% of last year.
All indications are that Gibbs will be spending a lot more time in the centre this year and that's what i'd like to judge him on when talking about mid-fieders

That's also what I'd like to 'judge' him on - However you can't judge him on something that hasn't happened.

The indications were the same this time last year, yet even with a plethora of flankers to chose from, Gibbs still found himself in those roles.

You could almost infer that the recruitment of Duigan and Laidler, with the tactical switch of Yarran was designed to move Gibbs to the midfield. This didn't eventuate as hoped.

There is ample room for Gibbs in the midfield, he has more than enough talent to play there.

He just needs to produce it whilst in the midfield.

I'm not going to vote, - only votes from neutrals mean much at all..

But I'm fascinated by the dislike and downright hatred Gibbs creates in opposition supporters. He's a super player, but any mistake, or poor game is seized upon gleefully by certain internet warriors, and he is triumphantly slain by electronic vitriol. I'd ask carlton supporters - is there a group within Carlton that also have Gibbs as a whipping boy?

He's a great player.

I love squibbsy, but there are certain supporters at our club that give it to him!
I dont think of him as cake, i think he is a more icing type! you'll all think im crazy but I wouldnt swap him for anyone that was in his draft

I love squibbsy, but there are certain supporters at our club that give it to him!
I dont think of him as cake, i think he is a more icing type! you'll all think im crazy but I wouldnt swap him for anyone that was in his draft

....love him so much you give him a deriding nickname? :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Bryce Gibbs or Trent Cotchin?

Back