Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

FFS its 2 first rounders and THEIR SECOND back to us next year.

If results were similar to this year it would be a first round pick and a 5 pick downgrade in a stronger draft.

Something like

Carlton get: Pick 10 and Pick 16
Crows get: Gibbs and 2018 approx pick 21
That ain't even so bad tbh. Pick 10 2017 is equivalent of Pick 21 2018

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FFS its 2 first rounders and THEIR SECOND back to us next year.

If results were similar to this year it would be a first round pick and a 5 pick downgrade in a stronger draft.

Something like

Carlton get: Pick 10 and Pick 16
Crows get: Gibbs and 2018 approx pick 21
Not a bad deal, I'd do it if I was the Crows. Gotta aim for the flag while you have a chance. Could send 10 + 18 (from Cameron) though?

Big difference in that we have a need for him and this year's draft is thin and we have a number of picks. Our trading is going to be far more focused on next year's draft due to the quality being much higher.
You're in your window now. Bringing in an A grader in the middle of that window is smart, Gibbs is pure silk.

Suspecting there's a couple more strategic acquisitions coming also. Pretty comfortable with what we will end up with at the end of trade week and also the draft picks we will still have.,
If at the of trade period we have either pick 10 or 12 and pick 39 to take to this draft to get hopefully Fogarty and Edwards and at the same time we have brought in Gibbs and Puopolo (which is possibly on the cards and has been mentioned elsewhere as a possible get), then losing Cameron, Lever and 2 1st round picks with a 2018 second coming back will be a good outcome for the club as essentially gibbs would come straight in and add midfield depth and Puopolo (if the rumors are true) would slot nicely into the forward line and fill camerons position.

If at the of trade period we have either pick 10 or 12 and pick 39 to take to this draft to get hopefully Fogarty and Edwards and at the same time we have brought in Gibbs and Puopolo (which is possibly on the cards and has been mentioned elsewhere as a possible get), then losing Cameron, Lever and 2 1st round picks with a 2018 second coming back will be a good outcome for the club as essentially gibbs would come straight in and add midfield depth and Puopolo (if the rumors are true) would slot nicely into the forward line and fill camerons position.

Throw Francis into that mix and we have killed it if it panned out that way. Francis to me is a perfect undervalued acquisition with a massive upside.

How?
Pick 10 essentially for Gibbs is a good deal

A 5 pick downgrade in a better draft is virtually neutral.

Perhaps ten is a good deal, perhaps not. But you'll get maybe four or five years out of Gibbs. The last three pick 10s are Jack Bowes, Cockatoo and Harry McKay- players who you'd likely get a lot more from. I appreciate that a draft pick is not a given- for example the next most recent was Nathan Freeman, but it's still a hefty sum and one that shouldn't require a sweetener.

Saying that pick 6 is only a five pick downgrade is questionable also. It's not impossible that Carlton will improve signifcantly, or even that they can go backwards.

I also think this is far above the market value of what a 29 year old player is worth. The most comparable player that comes to mind is Brett Deledio, who was 29 when we traded him last year. He had injury concerns, but it wasn't known at the time they were as bad as they are now. Deledio is a dual All Australian and had been AA as recently as the season before he was traded. He was traded for a single first round pick from Geelong.

Ultimately, we can't know who's right or wrong here until we see the successes obtained by Adelaide with Gibbs, or the players picked with what Adelaide trade- if it even happens. I personally believe they are paying more than they should for a player of his age

Perhaps ten is a good deal, perhaps not. But you'll get maybe four or five years out of Gibbs. The last three pick 10s are Jack Bowes, Cockatoo and Harry McKay- players who you'd likely get a lot more from. I appreciate that a draft pick is not a given- for example the next most recent was Nathan Freeman, but it's still a hefty sum and one that shouldn't require a sweetener.

Saying that pick 6 is only a five pick downgrade is questionable also. It's not impossible that Carlton will improve signifcantly, or even that they can go backwards.

I also think this is far above the market value of what a 29 year old player is worth. The most comparable player that comes to mind is Brett Deledio, who was 29 when we traded him last year. He had injury concerns, but it wasn't known at the time they were as bad as they are now. Deledio is a dual All Australian and had been AA as recently as the season before he was traded. He was traded for a single first round pick from Geelong.

Ultimately, we can't know who's right or wrong here until we see the successes obtained by Adelaide with Gibbs, or the players picked with what Adelaide trade- if it even happens. I personally believe they are paying more than they should for a player of his age

Very objective post. Cannot really judge any trades until they are actually there and playing. Plenty of wins and busts over the year with top 10 picks. I think we've only ever had 2 top 10 picks since 1991 and that was Laurence Angwin and Dangerfield. Now there's a contrast for you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back