Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

No, we are praising the club for sticking to their convictions, expecting a contract to be honoured unless an amazing offer is made.

Well that will help us get into flag contention won't it. So long as we make some meaningless token gesture we'll be all good.

Maybe we can play the token gesture at full forward, can't be any worse than what we have up there now.

Well that will help us get into flag contention won't it. So long as we make some meaningless token gesture we'll be all good.

Maybe we can play the token gesture at full forward, can't be any worse than what we have up there now.

Meanwhile you believe that pick 13 is the answer to a flag. How is that rational?

The only way this backfires on The Blues is if in 12 months Bryce under pressure from his family moves
Back to Adelaide for good leaving Carlton in a difficult spot.
Not really. He would still have two years to go on his contract and for the right price we would happily send him home to his family

Murphy and Curnow take the hits that people want Cripps protected from better than Gibbs does.

Murphy doesn't. Curnow will roll up the sleeves. Gibbs protects Cripps by giving him a spell at the stoppages. Way better in close for the past few years. Don't tell me you still think he is a soft outside mid and haven't been watching him.

Adelaide missed out big time. Would've been a definite top 4 side with Gibbs I reckon. Should've made it happen. When Sloane was rubbed out late in the year, Adelaide's mid-field was badly exposed. Now with Lyons gone?

maybe.gif

Meanwhile you believe that pick 13 is the answer to a flag. How is that rational?

We'll never know now though will we.

Maybe they turn out a dud maybe they turn out a superstar.

Last season everyone was over the moon because we finally went to the draft loaded with first round picks and on face value have done well.

Same opportunity again to go into the draft with several first round picks to try and do what we did last season and we miss that opportunity.

That's my rationale.

Murphy doesn't. Curnow will roll up the sleeves. Gibbs protects Cripps by giving him a spell at the stoppages. Way better in close for the past few years. Don't tell me you still think he is a soft outside mid and haven't been watching him.

No I don't think he's a soft player. I just don't rate him as any great extractor of the ball.

We'll never know now though will we.

Maybe they turn out a dud maybe they turn out a superstar.
Last season everyone was over the moon because we finally went to the draft loaded with first round picks and on face value have done well.

Same opportunity again to go into the draft with several first round picks to try and do what we did last season and we miss that opportunity.

That's my rationale.

We got rid of 3 players who played dead at various times of the year and one who had a year left and had a sick parent in Brisbane. Gibbs is not bad for our culture and was still an important contributing part of our side. Get support around him and the last 5 years of his career could be amazing.

We got rid of 3 players who played dead at various times of the year and one who had a year left and had a sick parent in Brisbane. Gibbs is not bad for our culture and was still an important contributing part of our side. Get support around him and the last 5 years of his career could be amazing.

Sorry I'm all aboard the youth movement now. I'm gonna trust in SOS that he can draft us a decent squad IF given the resources.

I'm of the view a big part of our list problem is that we'd hold onto players until they are worth nothing and then when it came to trade time we'd have very little to offer in return for getting picks back.

I thought the way we handled the want away players last season was great, I was hoping we'd continue that mindset with Gibbs and embrace the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The wash:

Carlton: happy. Got the players we'd identified pre-trade period, and kept #5. Kept Gibbs. Expect him to slot straight back in, and play out his career as a one club player. Expect his young lad to be drafted by us under the F-S rule.

Adelaide: no closer to a flag, arguably further away with rivals stocking up and contested beast Lyons on his way to GC. With a poor run with injuries next year AFC could even slip down to 6-10 region. Medium term question to be asked about the list. Short term questions to be asked about Reid and board interference in trades thanks to the all powerful, seemingly unaccountable Roo.

The wash:

Carlton: happy. Got the players we'd identified pre-trade period, and kept #5. Kept Gibbs. Expect him to slot straight back in, and play out his career as a one club player. Expect his young lad to be drafted by us under the F-S rule.

Adelaide: no closer to a flag, arguably further away with rivals stocking up and contested beast Lyons on his way to GC. With a poor run with injuries next year AFC could even slip down to 6-10 region. Medium term question to be asked about the list. Short term questions to be asked about Reid and board interference in trades thanks to the all powerful, seemingly unaccountable Roo.

Ah yes, unaccountable Roo pressure

JimmyBeerCans and subaru love this topic

Losing David noble 2 weeks before trade period and free agency didn't help. Needed a decision maker. Happy we didn't trade away all our picks for Gibbs I don't think he will lift us to contender. Pissed about Lyons though. Should have driven a harder bargain.

How old is Gibbs kid? He signed the contract before it was born yes? Things change and Carlton just showed they dgaf about their employees
He signed that contract 2 years ago with his partner of 8-10 years blessing knowing full and well he would be 30 by the time that contract expired.

Do you honestly expect he didn't plan for kids in that period? June 2014 he signed for 5 years, June 2015 his kid was born.

Justin Reid's entire performance was amateur, disrespectful and borderline unethical.

It is one thing to go after an uncontracted player, get him to nominate your club and drive a hard bargain. It is another thing to go after a player with 3 years left on his contract, give him assurances you'll "get the deal done", disrespect his club by announcing it on the first day of the Trade Period, grandstand in the media to try and bend the other club and then ultimately fail to bring the appropriate cojones and collaboration to seal the deal - screwing over both the player and his club.

I don't have an issue with you baulking at the asking price of 2 first rounders. I personally wouldn't pay it. But if you aren't willing to, don't go kicking tires. So, were Carlton's demands reasonable? If he was uncontracted no. But without that leverage, it is a different ballgame and you have to be willing to give a little something-something to get it done. Out of respect to the club that is releasing him, and to fulfill the promise you made to the player. You bring that on yourself.

The real mistake was announcing it without any collaboration and trying to force Carlton's hand. That is unprofessional and NOT in good faith. I am so very glad that SOS stuck to his guns. His dealings with the likes of Hawthorn and GWS show that he is a genuine professional who is willing to work towards a mutually beneficial outcome.

To summarise, no issues at all with Adelaide saying no to 2 x 1st rounders. But you can't put any blame on SOS and Carlton - we are under no obligation to bend to another club's wishes pertaining to our contracted senior players. The issue is Reid making promises to Gibbs, failing to consult fairly with SOS, backing both club and player into a corner and failing to deliver.

The whole saga has left quite a bad taste. Hopefully Adelaide learn from this because it doesn't fill prospective recruits & future trading partners with confidence.

The wash:

Oh goodie we can all play this game.

Carlton: Gibbs never again repeats his career best form blaming off field distractions due to his uphappy household. Meanwhile Carlton are sanctioned by league when it deemed the off-field support provided the Gibbs family should have been declared in the salary cap, the resulting fine penalises the Blues their 2017 first round draft pick. Collingwood select the player targeted by the Blues instead.

Adelaide: The Crows Pick 13 selection turns into a boom inside/outside mid who debuts in round 1 and goes on to win the Norm Smith Medal including All Australian honours. Going on to play 300 games for the club including multiple Club and League awards his legacy is 4 identical quadruplet sons who make the all-Australian U18 Team and declare the Crows their F/S choice.

Am I doing it right?

Oh goodie we can all play this game.

Carlton: Gibbs never again repeats his career best form blaming off field distractions due to his uphappy household. Meanwhile Carlton are sanctioned by league when it deemed the off-field support provided the Gibbs family should have been declared in the salary cap, the resulting fine penalises the Blues their 2017 first round draft pick. Collingwood select the player targeted by the Blues instead.

Adelaide: The Crows Pick 13 selection turns into a boom inside/outside mid who debuts in round 1 and goes on to win the Norm Smith Medal including All Australian honours. Going on to play 300 games for the club including multiple Club and League awards his legacy is 4 identical quadruplet sons who make the all-Australian U18 Team and declare the Crows their F/S choice.

Am I doing it right?

No, you've got it all wrong. Plausibility is the key. Want to have another go?

Justin Reid's entire performance was amateur, disrespectful and borderline unethical.

It is one thing to go after an uncontracted player, get him to nominate your club and drive a hard bargain. It is another thing to go after a player with 3 years left on his contract, give him assurances you'll "get the deal done", disrespect his club by announcing it on the first day of the Trade Period, grandstand in the media to try and bend the other club and then ultimately fail to bring the appropriate cojones and collaboration to seal the deal - screwing over both the player and his club.

I don't have an issue with you baulking at the asking price of 2 first rounders. I personally wouldn't pay it. But if you aren't willing to, don't go kicking tires. So, were Carlton's demands reasonable? If he was uncontracted no. But without that leverage, it is a different ballgame and you have to be willing to give a little something-something to get it done. Out of respect to the club that is releasing him, and to fulfill the promise you made to the player. You bring that on yourself.

The real mistake was announcing it without any collaboration and trying to force Carlton's hand. That is unprofessional and NOT in good faith. I am so very glad that SOS stuck to his guns. His dealings with the likes of Hawthorn and GWS show that he is a genuine professional who is willing to work towards a mutually beneficial outcome.

To summarise, no issues at all with Adelaide saying no to 2 x 1st rounders. But you can't put any blame on SOS and Carlton - we are under no obligation to bend to another club's wishes pertaining to our contracted senior players. The issue is Reid making promises to Gibbs, failing to consult fairly with SOS, backing both club and player into a corner and failing to deliver.

The whole saga has left quite a bad taste. Hopefully Adelaide learn from this because it doesn't fill prospective recruits & future trading partners with confidence.

Yep
Justin Reid was exposed for his lack of experience in 2 ways

1) piss weak deal with Lyons to Suns
2) inability to land Gibbs to Crows as its Adelaide that need him more to progress beyond 2nd week of finals

The whole "send Gibbs home" is a joke. Don't for a second think Money wasn't a factor in "approaching" Adelaide. His manager is probably already on the phone negotiating a new contract. He'll get right back to business in 2017.

No, you've got it all wrong. Plausibility is the key. Want to have another go?

Sorry didn't really get the plausible qualification given your take set the benchmark. But not really interested in redoing...don't see the point in arguing with a fan of a club on forward looking matters given they own the title of Accomplished the Least With The Most during the draft era.

Still reckon my predictions are closer to the mark than yours nonetheless.

A player of gibbs talent on a 300k a year salary is worth diamonds to any club and we have that, we simply and rightfully chose not to throw that away.

And Carlton is well within their right's to keep a contracted player.
I really don't agree with the tone of Adelaide's criticism of Carlton.

Don't get me wrong - if a close to mutually beneficial deal can be reached between two clubs then they should try to reach a deal for the sake of the player.
But if Carlton really did feel they were being offered unders, and especially with the contract deal that has been outlined, then that is their prerogative.

And Carlton is well within their right's to keep a contracted player.
I really don't agree with the tone of Adelaide's criticism of Carlton.

Don't get me wrong - if a close to mutually beneficial deal can be reached between two clubs then they should try to reach a deal for the sake of the player.
But if Carlton really did feel they were being offered unders, and especially with the contract deal that has been outlined, then that is their prerogative.
As if a first rd pick plus change is not equal to an old Gibbs

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back