Bryce Gibbs - Underwhelming

Remove this Banner Ad

He was rubbish tonight, and he does sometimes play soft footy no doubt, but it's easy to stick the boots in while he's down. was very good for us last year and would be best 22 in any side.

Still, he is the type of guy that constantly makes you think he's on the verge of elite but never quite gets there, which is damn frustrating. Hopefully a switch will flick soon and he can realise his potential

I honestly have him on a similar rating to Matt Rosa. Outside player who left unchecked can play an important role, but goes missing when a bit of physicality comes into the game.

Its players like Joesph, Bower, Curnow, Russell and Robinson (who is an honest trier with vfl standard skills) that need to be looked at.

:eek: Can't believe you put Robinson in he same sentance as those hacks, his 66% disposal efficiency is looking masterful compared to 53% Ziebull.

It's not one game. Worrying thing is in his 6th season he's not improving, he's stagnating or even going backwards. Just rarely seems to influence games.

He hasn't really shone this season but last season he was very good. Was very good against Essendon in the final before he went down, he changed the game that day when he went into the middle. There were a few games last season where he made a difference.

Squibbed a contest tonight against Hayes at an important time.

I've come to terms with him being a 'good' player. Could never see the 'star' potential people speak of

Cant remember a number 1 pick who fumbles and turns the ball over under pressure as this bloke.

Was pathetic in a number of contests tonight.

I would have thought over is carer is skills under pressure was one of his strengths, unless you mean just for this game.

Gibbs needs to be tested. Straight into the guts for the bullants for 2 weeks.

Rd 10, starts in the middle, at every stoppage, his one & only direction, be first to the ball. I'll back him to step up.

Cant remember a number 1 pick who fumbles and turns the ball over under pressure as this bloke.

Was pathetic in a number of contests tonight.

This x2000

He clearly has elite disposal when he is 15 meters in the clear but his tendency to crumble under pressure is why he will never be a top player. I remember his final last year v west coast and in a finals environment his kicking and general skills were awful. He just seems to fumble and panic whenever anybody is near him.

This x2000

He clearly has elite disposal when he is 15 meters in the clear but his tendency to crumble under pressure is why he will never be a top player. I remember his final last year v west coast and in a finals environment his kicking and general skills were awful. He just seems to fumble and panic whenever anybody is near him.

He didnt play in the final vs West Coast.

He played a bad game, not every player has to be as hard as Hayes. He usually dose well in 1 on 1 contests.
He would be rated much higher by the public if he played in the midfield but he plays an important roll in the backline and usually plays that roll well. Over-reaction imo

his whole career has been underwhelming, and really he is what he is. He hasnt got the appetite for tough, contested work - wants to be freed up to play loose and pick up easy possessions.

He is NOT the "elite", or A grade mid muppets in the media try to suggest. He is a loose defender, but hates being the third man up. He is a very vanilla footballer with pretty skills - when given the time and space to use it.

Nothing new, but it seems for too long everyone, Carlton supporters especially, have ignored his glaring weaknesses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This x2000

You must have sensational vision, seeing as he wasn't playing.

Thread probably a tad premature, its not like he's a bad player. Just hasn't come on like the wraps on him suggested he would, and judged more harshly coz he went pick 1.

Agree though that 6 years in he's not currently playing like you'd expect a no 1 pick. Has had some good years, seems like he's stagnating a little though. Rest of this season will be interesting.

He's the guy every opposition supporter likes to bag when he doesn't turn in a stellar performance. Most teams have one of them

I think he's wasted playing loose in the back half, and his good disposal would be more worthwhile being delivered to Waite, Betts, Fisher, Garlett, Kruezer in the forward line

Throw him in the midfield I reckon

Seems to lack some confidence perhaps?

Why? Hard ball gets are not exactly his forte.

I would have said that about Dal Santo and Montagna a few years ago too

Did some stats in 2009/2010, and both were on about par with Hayes in contested possessions and tackles

Besides, you need someone that can receive as well. No good having a midfield of only Sewells

I can remember St.kilda supporters( they have short memories) bagging Goddard weak as piss doesnt get the hard ball,same about Deledio from Richmond supporters,lay off his case he played terrible but so did 90% of the Carlton team against St.Kilda.The game this week will show me what Gibbs is made of I hope he stars.

Not true. Deledio has been just about the most consistent player in the comp for 4 or 5 years. He's only now beginning to win games off his own boot but that is because he was forced to play defence where his impact on games, while being repectable, weren't what you expect of a no 1 pick. Criticism of Deledio's performances have by and large been directed at coaching staff, not Brett himself.

He is coasting.

Needs a rocket from his team mates similar to what happened with Abblett junior who was playing as a forward pocket and stagnating until he was told to extract the digit and start pushing through his pain barriers on the track and on the field.

Maybe the fear of losing him has made Carlton go easy on him but they really have to tell him to extract the digit and go to a new level.

didnt bother to read the whole thread so someone may have mentioned this. He looks to me being played out of position. He reminds me so much of camporeale, skinny, tad soft, good footskills. He is your classic wingman.

Gibbs dont have the defensive smarts to play a half back imo. He cant read the play as good as a milburn, hodge or a Ben Hart that they can sag off and be the third man up. Coming out of the D50 is ok but if you play defense, you really need to know how to defend.

Much as it pains me, most of the comment on here is close to the mark (except the guy that didn't rate Gibbs in last years final ag WCE).

Gibbs is coasting, has excellent skills, lateral movement, ball handling. Hard to know if he is suffering from poor coaching. Plays as loose man in defence, and gets easy kicks. Needs a much harder coach who gets the best out of him. Certainly a much better pick than Gumbleton or Hansen, but if we'd taken Leuey then in the 2007 draft we would have taken Cotchin and may be better off in that Big k and Leuey are both going to be very good ruckmen and Cotchin is better than Gibbs.

Still apart from Selwood, who most recruiters thought had bone on bone knee probs that may severely shorten his career, Gibbs was a skilful talented number 1. With Ross Lyon at the helm he might be a tougher more committed player, but player development hasn't been a strong point for some years at Carlton, and our coach seems to lack real authority and imagination. Half the side is marking time or going backwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bryce Gibbs - Underwhelming

Remove this Banner Ad

Back