News Buckley standing down; Robert Harvey interim coach for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

He had a price on his head since the day he took over. This is pressure driven, not win loss. If you're going to choose to ignore that and be dopey then that's your problem. This year's win loss record is nothing but another BS excuse like there are excuses for every other issue in the game. He's copped it for years.

The problem is society, including 99% of this forum have this superiority complex where they need to disagree with absolutely everything in the world.
What an unadulterated load of wank.

Let's face it, this isn't great news. Now there is a chance that they will actually become a halfway decent club again

From memory North Melbourne offered Buckley their head coaching job which then caused Eddie to panic and try and work out how to get Buckley in as coach at Collingwood despite already having a very recent premiership coach in charge, which resulted in Collingwood sacking that very recent premiership coach and putting in someone who promptly dismantled a premiership side and in ten years of coaching only improved on their previous season once.
North’s offer to Buckley, and the succession plan being put in place all happened prior to Malthouse coaching the Pies to the 2010 premiership. But having won in 2010 Eddie should have used his brains and kept Malthouse on as coach.

North’s offer to Buckley, and the succession plan being put in place all happened prior to Malthouse coaching the Pies to the 2010 premiership. But having won in 2010 Eddie should have used his brains and kept Malthouse on as coach.
Yep but as we all know Eddie went with his dick instead.

So you're saying it's not normal for a once very good team to drop off? Guess what, hawthorn dropped off after 2015, then got worse and worse, and now they're bottom two. It's the way the cycle works.
We had sustained success though for an extended period even with simply finals experiences. We built every year under Clarkson, in 09 we fell hard and then every year after that we improved then won the 3 flags in a row and have dropped off again.

Buckley from his 2nd year continued to decline until a freak 2018 where they made a grand final and then has continued to decline since.

BTW i actually think he is a decent coach and the list management over that period has been iffy for the most part which hasn't helped his cause but he's had 10 years at the club and only one of those years showed any improvement over the previous.

It's the pack mentality of society who have dictated this. That's my point. It's a trend to hate on high profile/controvercial people and ride them into the ground.

Without the constant pressure he'd probably still be coach, and his job will be judged by the board on merit. Not by society.
You realise that when Korda gets overthrown by Browne in the coming weeks that Browne and his board want gone anyway, yeah?

Do you honestly think he has had a successful 10 years and should still be Collingwood coach?

Me personally, I couldn't give a **** if he stayed or went but this defending of him like he had a Hardwickish record is ****ing laughable

Mark Harvey stepping in as interim coach. Talk about a blast from the past.You may remenber him from such jobs as Kevin Sheedys assistant at Essendon and Fremantle coach prior to Ross Lyon.In those days he had players playing in unusual positions like tagger ,behind the play thug ,enforcer.Hopefully he is more up with the times these days.

Mark Harvey stepping in as interim coach. Talk about a blast from the past.You may remenber him from such jobs as Kevin Sheedys assistant at Essendon and Fremantle coach prior to Ross Lyon.In those days he had players playing in unusual positions like tagger ,behind the play thug ,enforcer.Hopefully he is more up with the times these days.
LOL Ross Lyon to take his job again!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure it's Robert Harvey isn't it?

He had a price on his head since the day he took over. This is pressure driven, not win loss. If you're going to choose to ignore that and be dopey then that's your problem. This year's win loss record is nothing but another BS excuse like there are excuses for every other issue in the game. He's copped it for years.

The problem is society, including 99% of this forum have this superiority complex where they need to disagree with absolutely everything in the world.

The role of head coach is pressure driven as it's an elite position afforded to only 18 people each year with many more coaches waiting for an opportunity, an opportunity that some will never get.
Nathan Buckley has had 10 years which I would think would be well above average in duration for years coached during the modern era.
Nathan Buckley also succeeded Michael Malthouse who was a three time Premiership Coach including one flag at Collingwood which was always going to increase pressure on Buckley.
How pompous are you to criticise 99% of this forum of their opinion whilst I assume placing yourself in the elite 1% of that aren't the problem of society...a perfect example of 'delusions of grandeur' if ever I saw one.

There's something about watching coaches slowly garrotted sitting alongside the club officialdom that's always really uncomfortable for me.

I think if I were a coach, I'd prefer to just be given the bullet rather than sit alongside them and pretend that I had a say in it.

I'd argue he's overachieved. That grand final squad wasn't that great. You have just proven you're the one who's picking him apart and passing judgement. Not me.

Not that great? Apart from the drawn GF they won all finals by 40+ points in 2010 then had the most dominant regular season we have ever seen (still as a pretty young side) only to be taken down by one of the greatest premiership sides of all time who won their 3rd in 5 years. Have a think please.

The media in general have been to scared or bullied out of going even half as hard at Collingwood as they could have the last 10 years.
You’re kidding right? Slobbo, Ralph and Warner, and plenty of other journos have built their careers on a stream of anti Collingwood articles over many years. True, a lot of it the Pies brought on themselves, but quite a bit was also manufactured bullshit.

My point is - it is somewhat easier to improve from 18th, than it is to improve from second, after winning a flag the previous year, wouldn't you have thought?

The Carlton folk were back to their arrogant selves at the start of this year on the back of improving year on year for the past three seasons...
Yes and no

I would rather start rom second with a winning culture and a good list than come from last with a losing culture and not much talent on the list

10 years with no premierships and not one in sight (the next few years anyway) unless something drastic happens makes justifying him keeping his job very hard imo

Robert Harvey is.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Buckley standing down; Robert Harvey interim coach for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back