Mega Thread Buddy Franklin moves to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

They could not match 2 mill from gws, so that removes their ability to manufacture a trade. The swans 1.4 could be match by the hawks and force the swans to give someone up to get him for example Mumford and a pick

Or they could just get Mumford for free in the same way you did and get the compo pick for Franklin? I don't think it makes a difference in the end.

Goodes said explicitly that Buddy will not be at the Swans next year when Mark Robinson asked him about it on Friday. That is good enough for me as Goodes isn't the sort to give bullshit answers.

/thread.

Inb4 another 3 pages of COLA silliness and suggestions of Reid being traded
Lol great call :thumbsu:

This is hilarious. Good on you, Swans.

I too would like to see the figures to understand how this all works but with the retirements and trades that are likely to happen at Sydney, I can see how they've manufactured this turn of events. Many people on this thread bemoaning COLA don't seem to understand how it works. I'm not defending it's existence, but it's not like Tippett and Franklin are getting all the extra money and nobody else is getting any.

Is anyone else hella ****in impressed with Swans management?

COLA or not, nobody saw this coming... they've played GWS, the AFL, Hawthorn and everybody else on a break...

What a get, as much off field as on... he'll be great for their war with GWS for the hearts of Sydney youngsters.

Vlad will be in the foetal position.

All in the game yo
They did well to keep the deal under wraps - but part of it was because nobody believed they could land two players on salaries of 800k or more in consecutive trade periods post premiership.

So good work on doing deals - that has to be congratulated.

However - I still think it's really dumb to pay more than 2 mil to do players, sharing the other 8 mil among 40 other blokes. When Hannebery, Kennedy, Jack, Reid come out of contract they might squeeze out for other clubs.

I was worried about hawthorn giving one player a mil per season, Sydney are doing it for two players! Madness.

Note- I will concede that I'm shitty about it. Also think if we can manage a trade we will be screwed relative to what GWS would give us.

The AFL already pays it (link) and it's explicitly identified in all the contracts as an extra 9.8% loading (link).

That's not independent confirmation that the AFL directly pays the 9.8% directly to the players. In fact Ireland says they are prepared for the AFL to pay it directly.

It's Andrew Ireland saying trust us, which I don't.

"The fact is AFL rules stipulate all players get it. It isn't an optional thing. Do you think player managers don't factor the extra 10per cent into their negotiations? If the theory is that the AFL kept control of that money, and when we negotiated contracts they paid the extra 9.8per cent on top of it, that makes sense too.
"All we need to ensure is the players we are recruiting get the compensation the AFL have indicated they need to live in Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have supported Buddy going to GWS, but this is crap!

I hope in Round 1 next year, both Tippett ad Franklin are both going for the ball, they clash their knees together, and both never play again.

We could match and trade him to GWS.

Sydney have confirmed he has officially accepted their deal.

I think we can all accept that the COLA will be the biggest talking point of next year.

Triple M need to have the camera in the studio for tomorrow morning to capture just how red Ed's gets

Love the meltdown going on. Disgrace. Wrong. COLA.
We are writing the book on how to run a club, how to create an atmosphere where the best players want to be. All started with Kelly, Barrassi, and Locket. Before that, we lost 33 games in a row and no-one gave a shit. The AFL bought us back for $1. We were gone, and no one gave a shit.

Don't be so harsh, it was 26 in a row. I know, I watched all bar 1 of those losses at the SCG in that run of 26.

The AFL already pays it (link) and it's explicitly identified in all the contracts as an extra 9.8% loading (link).

You realize that this doesn't matter right?

Say there is a club with a $2 million salary cap and 11 players. The 10 spuds get $100k and the star gets $1 million. Then the club with the 10% loading defined in contracts blah, blah, blah just signs all its spuds on $91k, it's star on $1.1 million, and then the AFL chips in 10% to everyone. Bingo. Spuds still earn $100k and the star gets the entire $200k extra salary cap to entice him away.

Yes at the very, very bottom end guys on compulsory minimum contracts can't go lower so still end up with their 10% (so say a rookie would get $4-5k of the $900k), but the remaining COLA, which is most of it, can absolutely be used how you want just by writing the contracts however you like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Buddy Franklin moves to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back