Mega Thread Buddy Franklin moves to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Six: Spangher, Seaby, TDL, Nathan Gordon, Campbell Heath, Brett Meredith.

Mumford on around 250-300, Mattner and Bolton probably on about 400.

Ah, this takes me back. How well I remember this time last year when the Swans bid $900-1m for Kurt Tippett. As we all know, it is an offence against nature for a premiership team to have that amount of loose change.

No wonder people are shaking their fists at Hawthorn who somehow have ponied up $1.1m. That's MORE THAN the Swans are paying Tippett and that's why you, BF people, are so furious... Hang on, you're not? Apart from ingrained stupidity and hypocrisy, it's almost as though you don't have a single clue about how the COLA works.....so let me help.

The COLA is paid as a loading on each player's salary. It's paid by the AFL, it's paid independent of the Swans. It's not paid, as every dickhead with a BF account seems to believe, as a lump sum to the Sydney Swans.

It is set by the AFL Commission (not the AFL CEO). It is set at 9.8% to help offset the higher cost of living in Sydney, given that only about seven players on the list are from NSW, and just three or four actually from SYdney (that's because of the AFL's indifferent NSW youth development policies pre-GWS).

According to the ABS, the cost of living in Sydney is 15% higher than Melbourne, so the 9.8% is just on two-thirds of the actual cost.

If Sydney are offering $1.4m to Buddy, that means they're offering a $1.4m package. Sydney don't pay the COLA so it's not theirs to offer and that would be paid separately.

I personally couldn't care one way or the other about the COLA, but if you do think it is a big deal then take the effort to find out what it is before spilling 50 pages of bilious factfree dross onto a website.

It is still indifferent unless you belong to the swan's zone

People are questioning the length of contract offered to Franklin, but from my perspective it's an absolute masterstroke :thumbsu:
  • Sydney know signing Franklin will end the COLA YEP
  • Sydney know the AFL won't take away the COLA until *after* this deal goes ahead. They will want to ensure Sydney are not disadvantaged by any rule changes that would put them over their *new* cap It will be an incremental withdrawal, every new contract will be made without the COLA.
  • Signing Franklin to 9 years instead of 5 maximises the number of years Sydney will benefit from the COLA Only in relation to his contract.
  • If Sydney had only signed Franklin for 5 years, they would have only benefited from the COLA for the next 5 years Diminishing returns, see above.
  • Signing Sydney to $1.1M over 9 years instead of $1.4M over 5 years has given Sydney $300K/year for the first 5 years of Franklin's deal, giving them more cap space to sign/retain other players Yep. Smart move there.
  • Projecting the COLA out for the remaining 4 years of Franklin's contract, the last 4 years COLA will cover Franklin's $1.1M/year contract in its entirety No. See above.

Nah. They're ****ed.

Sydney know he won't last that long, they will back end this contract to boot. Then when his body gives they can delist him, pay him out and never worry about breaching the cap. COLA doesn't even matter.
It doesn't work that way

We had to pay half of Fev's salary for a few years because he was contracted to us for more than Brisbane were going to pay him, so we still had a
fev* $200,000 asterix on our salary cap for a few years.

They can't just pay him out and not have it come under the cap.

Or if they can i demand heads roll

If its a 9 Year deal, then Buddy will be playing till hes 35 ?

I would have thought he'd be retired by his early 30's

He'll retire in his early 30's, but then he'll take over the Kenny Williams role until his deal runs out.

fan_gallery__470x306.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Pickering has been working on the deal for twelve months. Spoke to Sydney at the end of last year. Rigged. How could the Swans organize the deal at the same time they got Tippet on a huge deal?

Like it or not for a national competition to work there needs to be a strong team in Sydney. This is a great move by the swannies. They cannot afford to rebuild, the supporters won't turn up to games if they get flogged playing youngsters. If the AFL somehow helped the deal get over line so what. The competition isn't even and never will be no matter how much people whinge about it. Quite simple, if you don't like it stop watching the game. This is a deal that has to happen. A strong Sydney for the next 10 years is a good thing. Trust me.

It doesn't work that way

We had to pay half of Fev's salary for a few years because he was contracted to us for more than Brisbane were going to pay him, so we still had a
fev* $200,000 asterix on our salary cap for a few years.

They can't just pay him out and not have it come under the cap.

Or if they can i demand heads roll

Yeah I just worked that out. In any case it will help them retain the COLA for as long as possible and by the end of Buddy's career when his body is shot they can drop him and the cap will have gone up due to inflation anyway.

Not really. The hosts are just doing what they do and trying to create outrage. They want to add up what Tippett, Goodes and Franklin would be paid but refuse to acknowledge the amount of salary freed up by possibly 5 players leaving/retiring. The maths is simple.

and your supporters are biting hook,line and sinker

The AFL really has ****ed up the free agency rules.

-Players should be only allowed to sign a certain amount of years as the max, in the NBA that is 6 seasons.
-The team that the player originally played for (in this instance Buddy Franklin) should be able to sign on for more money and years without another club interfering.

For example: If Lebron James resigns with the Miami Heat he can sign for a 6 year 120 million deal. The outside team can only do 5 years at 80 million.(Not the actual numbers, just an example.)

Rooting for injuries is weak. :thumbsdown:

BTW GWS will be fine. Patton, Cameron and Boyd? And you wonder why the Swans refused to let Buddy just saunter in over the as well.

Spot on. Which is why I hope they have a big weekend and get tested and busted for have illegal drugs in their system on game day. :thumbsu:

@Robbo_heraldsun 1m
BREAKING NEWS: Franklin's management first approached Sydney at end of the 2012 season. Deal worked on for 12 months. Soon on @superfooty
12 months of hard work from from Buddy's management and the Sydney Swans. Shocked how both parties managed to keep it a secret for so long. Extremely professional conduct from all.

If he wants to go for that sort of money and length of contract I have no problem with it. The only thing that should happen is that the contract shouldn't be allowed to be renegotiated later on.
Players retire before contracts are up quite regularly. They then negotiate a payout of whatever is left. If it happens here it won't be a first.

Even the length isn't a first. Brisbane gave a 10 year contract in the 90s.

please be nine years, please be nine years HAHAHAHA

Cant wait to see grandpa Buddy playing for Sydney with his walking stick in 50 years time. Have fun Sydney :thumbsu:
No chance Essendon signed Fletcher to a 20 year deal originally?

This is incredible.

Firstly to GWS the fact that your offer was only $1.2m per season when Hawthorn's was $1.1m to retain him- as Andrew Gaze would say- turn it up. Why would he move to the slums of Western Sydney for a chump change of an extra $100k more per year to leave a champion team? Joke of an offer really.

makes me wonder whether GWS actually were that keen to get Buddy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Buddy Franklin moves to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back