Bulldogs or Hawks, who is better in 2024 and more of a premiership threat?

Bulldogs or Hawks

• Bulldogs

Votes: 101 62.0%
  • Hawks

Votes: 62 38.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the Hawks play a stronger brand that is far more consistent. Their running, tackling & ground coverage wears down the opposition, kind of like a strangle hold that slowly breaks every bone in your neck before killing you. The Dogs still have these up and down performances and can't be relied upon. I think they are also more likely to tap out if things get too tough.

Hawks are a bigger premiership threat and I think only GWS, Sydney & Geelong can compete with them physically. Hawks are the first team since the Dogs that can win the flag from outside the top 4. Will they? Who knows, it is still extremely hard to win 4 consecutive finals.

Last edited:

Haven't watched heaps of either this year, but I see the main difference being Dogs having the size advantage in the midfield, and Hawks having the pace on the spread.

I think it will come down to the best performing HF / HB battle

I’d argue we have the best small forwards in the comp.

I’d equally say the Dogs tall forwards are the best in the comp.

Huge, huge pressure on both our key backs and the Dogs’ small backs.

Whichever group steps up the most, I think will decide the game.

So the winner of Hawthorn Vs Bulldogs will have knocked off the other in-form side in the run home to the finals.

The winner of that game will then face off against the loser of (most likely) Port vs Geelong.

If I'm a club trying to avoid a straight sets loss, Hawthorn or the Bulldogs would not be the team I'd want to face.

Assuming the Hawks or the Doggies win, it's on to the Prelim...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the winner of Hawthorn Vs Bulldogs will have knocked off the other in-form side in the run home to the finals.

The winner of that game will then face off against the loser of (most likely) Port vs Geelong.

If I'm a club trying to avoid a straight sets loss, Hawthorn or the Bulldogs would not be the team I'd want to face.

Yeah I reckon whoever wins the Dogs
/Hawks EF will win the SF and make the PF. I think Sydney will beat them though, reckon they will go another gear in finals.

The cats will brain the hawks if they meet them in a semi.

Haven't watched heaps of either this year, but I see the main difference being Dogs having the size advantage in the midfield, and Hawks having the pace on the spread.

I think it will come down to the best performing HF / HB battle

Mids are very even actually, hawks are actually taller (going off listed heights on each team's website, which are probably very outdated)

Dogs:
Bontempelli - 194cm
Treloar - 185cm
Libba - 184cm
Ed Richards - 188cm

Hawks:
Day - 191cm
Newcombe - 187cm
Worpel - 186cm
Nash - 198cm

The main differences to me are:
  • Bulldogs size advantage in the forward line over the Hawks (and pretty much every other team as well)
  • Hawks speed and pressure advantage in the forward line (Bulldogs don't have a great group of small defenders)

Because of the above, it is definitely going to be a match that is won and lost in the midfield, where I think the teams are very evenly matched.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs or Hawks, who is better in 2024 and more of a premiership threat?

Back