Unofficial Preview Bye Round Musings - Remaining fixtures, spoon likelihood/will we win another game this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd, Perth Glory.
Remaining fixtures, So MANY more matches left....

Round 14 - Bye
Round 15 - v Essendon @ Marvel
Round 16 - v Hawthorn
Round 17 - v Melbourne @ M.C.G
Round 18 - v Brisbane
Round 19 - v St.Kilda @ Marvel
Round 20 - v Fremantle @ Optus
Round 21 - v Gold Coast
Round 22 - v North Melbourne @ Blunstone Arena
Round 23 - v Carlton
Round 24 - v Geelong @ GMHBA Stadium

In all honesty I wouldn't back us in any of those games. Hawthorn, St.Kilda & North would be our best bets but I think we would likely start outsiders in all of them, especially with Hawthorn currently winning most of their recent games.

Are we a spoon chance? I think North's % still makes them favorite but a couple of massive hidings will put ours near theirs very quickly. They still could snag a couple of more wins perhaps too of course. Richmond aren't playing too bad as well. We haven't looked right since the Crows loss. Maybe the bye can help us restructure, if not this season could very easily start again to look like the last two...

Wow - this is the thread where obvious troll accounts reveal themselves.

We'll win another 3-4 games. Won't get above Hawthorn (as they have figured out how to win) so we'll finish third last.

Season has been decent so far. Young guys are showing their talent and we've become hard to beat at home. Next step is to be able to win 80% at home and 4 away, at which point we should make finals.

We'll win another 3-4 games. Won't get above Hawthorn (as they have figured out how to win) so we'll finish third last.

Season has been decent so far. Young guys are showing their talent and we've become hard to beat at home. Next step is to be able to win 80% at home and 4 away, at which point we should make finals.
Can't see us winning another 3 or 4 we but might jag a couple.

We just don't have the depth to cover 6 or 7 first starters being out.

Our spoon chances are low this year with the amount of improvement the club has seen so far. As for getting another win, you never know with some of our good guys coming back from injuries like Oscar Allen in 2/1 weeks and Tim Kelly in 1/2 weeks

I think at the very worst there are at least two winnable games there.

By the end of the season, providing all goes well we should have the following guys available:

Reid
Allen
Hewett
Hunt
Kelly

Five blokes there that are easily best 18. No reason why we can't win two, possibly three and challenge for a fourth. If not, it would be a disaster if we weren't competitive.

While I still think we may win another game...3 or 4? Really? I had us pegged for 3/4 wins this season so they're way ahead of where I thought they'd be. And considering our average losing margin last year was like 60+ points, I think we'd look at the silver lining and say losing by less than a couple goals our last three home games is an improvement...

I ain't gonna predict where the wins are gonna come from because if anyone thought we'd jag wins from Freo and Melbourne I'd tell you you're shrooming.

Honestly I don't care about finishing 3rd last. I was hoping we finished 16th or above this year and next year we will be higher and win more as we have found a bit of a spark. I could see us being finals contenders again in about 3-5 years but even that could be considered a bit of a stretch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only thing to look forward to is more Harley and hopefully Hewett.

Be nice to see Oscar play a few games.

Hope we adopt a more attacking style and get games into as many draftees as possible

Whether that means we lose every games so be it.

Don't care about the spoon.

Hope we don't trade our first rounder, take the best possible player.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Look I reckon we can jag about 2 more wins at max, but we're gonna be in for some serious hidings while on the way there.

For whatever reason the coaches have tossed out the exciting run-n-gun playstyle that saw us be competitive in a few matches and even win a couple, and have decided to revert back to the plodding kick/mark game that hasn't worked for donkey's years. Is it because of fitness concerns? Is it because they are trying to implement new tactics (the constant kicking down the line to force stoppages was certainly.....a choice)? Who knows. All we can say is that it f*cking sucks and we're just gonna have to eat sh*t until someone decides not to employ it anymore.

As an aside, several members of the team too readily regress back to "guarding grass" in contested situations, giving their opponent the opportunity to dispose of the ball under no pressure. The unwillingness to tackle and instead rely on "perceived pressure" is concerning this late into the rebuild.

Last edited:
Bring in Dewar, Burgiel and Brockman and when Harley's back go back to just attacking and taking it on.

Who cares if we lose 25 goals to 19 at least it's entertaining.

Need some enthusiasm. That's the main thing Harley's brings in spades and it lifts everyone

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably one more. Will be good to see if Oscar and Waterman can work together well. Maybe seeing Hewett in the last round or 2. Hope Harley gets a clean run till the last round when he gets back. Doubt we get the spoon as I would be shocked if North win 3 more. Probably had unrealistic expectations after Melbourne win but that game shows what we can do.

The clearances would have to dramatically improve from where they were today and have been for several weeks now in order for us to win any more games.

Great on paper but
1. every team is better with their best 23 on the park; and
2. few teams have their best 23 on the park.

Of course - in an ideal world - however looking objectively you would say at least 4 of those 5 should be present and healthy barring some sort of disaster. Everyone has their turn at fielding majority of their best blokes and hopefully ours comes with some competitive footy towards the end.

Can't see us winning another 3 or 4 we but might jag a couple.

We just don't have the depth to cover 6 or 7 first starters being out.
Yup 100% tuggs

our depth is an issue ...we just can't cover the quality when its out

frustrating atm.....these last two weeks...but last week we where leading at 3 quarter time and leading with 5 minutes to go this game ...we just couldn't get it done

positives is that we finally have a ruckman in Flynn.......but its going to take time and people need to be patient ..he is not match fit yet needs at least 4-5 games of solid rucking

Crazy how we are relying on a 19 year old first year player to win games.

Tagged out of a half of footy? Lose
Suspended against the biggest basket case excuse of a club in football? Lose

The simple formula is if Reid plays and isn't hindered by a tag in every game from his return then we are a chance to win imo. If he is not playing or suspended then we are odds on to lose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back