Unofficial Preview Bye Round Musings - Remaining fixtures, spoon likelihood/will we win another game this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Astonishing how that 5 or so weeks of perfectly reasonable AFL standard footy stood out book-ended by the usual shit.

Yeo, McGovern, Reid, Waterman, Kelly, Barrass, Cripps, Ginbey, Ryan and Hough are either having good seasons or (in the case of Ryan) building into one.

Of course we have a garbage truck full of spasmotic types who play in fits and bursts but are mostly not AFL standard.

Highlights have been Yeo, Reid, McGovern and Waterman with three of those in contention for AA and Reid stiffed for teh rising star

Of the youngsters Reid and Hough are going to be top line AFL players while Ginbey, Maric, Long and Jack Williams all look the goods as well. Not sure about Chesser but hopeful.

Looking forward to seeing the return of Allen and Hewitt in the second half of the season and hopefully we get back to some of that better form. Massive trade and draft season that we have to absolutely nail or we are going to hold up the ladder for many years to come.

Looking forward to seeing the return of Allen and Hewitt in the second half of the season and hopefully we get back to some of that better form. Massive trade and draft season that we have to absolutely nail or we are going to hold up the ladder for many years to come.
Bazzo, the forgotten man. I'd hope he can get several games this year.

Bazzo, the forgotten man. I'd hope he can get several games this year.

The fella has had the deck stacked against him in a lot of ways but i just don't see him making it from here. He has played 40 games of footy in 4 years and not at all this year without much prospect of that changing with a groin issue that seems not particularly responsive to treatment - still listed 3-5 weeks, down from 4-5 weeks, which is basically season at this stage with our history of what a rolling "x-5" weeks actually means.

I hope I'm wrong because he certainly deserves a clear run at it but I fear his ship has sailed. I guess time is still somewhat on his side, only turning 21 after the season finishes but he has missed a huge chunk of development.

Dee’s Freo suns Roos bombers all winnable games. We’ll be ok
I like your positivity, but given our see-sawing form, I couldn't pick any game ahead as a win? Depends who turns up to play that week?
I'd like to think there's a big shift going on at the club during the bye, both in the corridors of power and out on the training field, with a revamped team and attitude for the 2nd half of the season - but that might be wishful thinking?

'IF' we're back after the bye with some form, the next Derby will be a cracker with the Purples wanting to reclaim some pride, and show they're in the top 8 for a reason?

I like your positivity, but given our see-sawing form, I couldn't pick any game ahead as a win? Depends who turns up to play that week?
I'd like to think there's a big shift going on at the club during the bye, both in the corridors of power and out on the training field, with a revamped team and attitude for the 2nd half of the season - but that might be wishful thinking?

'IF' we're back after the bye with some form, the next Derby will be a cracker with the Purples wanting to reclaim some pride, and show they're in the top 8 for a reason?
YEah I dont see us jumping Freo again this year. Difficult to see them making the mistake of playing defensive footy against us again. Attack with speed through the middle and it is unlikely we go with them.
I reckon they will make a run for top 4 this year, quiet a few teams above them that I expect will slide in the 2nd half of the year.

YEah I dont see us jumping Freo again this year. Difficult to see them making the mistake of playing defensive footy against us again. Attack with speed through the middle and it is unlikely we go with them.
I reckon they will make a run for top 4 this year, quiet a few teams above them that I expect will slide in the 2nd half of the year.

The problem with Freo is they're doing the same old shit they've always done in their mediocre years; dropping games that should be certain wins and winning games that they should lose. Totally unreliable.

The problem with Freo is they're doing the same old shit they've always done in their mediocre years; dropping games that should be certain wins and winning games that they should lose. Totally unreliable.
However this year that sums up positions 2 through to 12 on the ladder. So many flakey teams this year. I get the feeling Freo have found a groove the past couple of weeks and will string together a solid couple of months. Then again, Im a notoriously shit tipster so they probably finish 14th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

taken from stickdick at the worst. Couldn't think of where else to put it so dropped in here for discussion. Interesting that Maric doing some time in the midfield.

There was no taking it easy for West Coast players who were put through their paces after coming back from a four-day break on Thursday morning. Here’s what we saw...
Birthday Boy Blues
Jack Darling was celebrating his 32nd birthday but there was no usual birthday goal kick for the spearhead who didn’t participate in main training.

Darling was the first out on the track running laps and was sporting some strapping on his left knee just days after collecting only seven touches and kicking 1.3 against North Melbourne.

The veteran spearhead spent time with co-captain Liam Duggan, who is recovering from a concussion against the Kangaroos, before doing more work on the opposite oval with some other teammates on light duties.
Interestingly, Dom Sheed did conditioning work with injured defender Rhett Bazzo instead of training as well, having been hampered earlier this year by a foot issue.

Co-captain Oscar Allen and reigning club champion Tim Kelly did some light handball work and kicking before disappearing into the club rooms after about 15 minutes.
In a good sign, second-year midfielder Elijah Hewett started the session with the main group before going to do his solo running as he continues his recovery from serious foot surgery.
Maric’s Change of Role?
Late in the session players went into several different groups to work on specific areas and there was an interesting face training with the midfielders.

Forward Ryan Maric was working alongside stoppage coach Luke Shuey and the rest of the midfield brigade in some ball movement drills indicating he could be pushed further up the ground in the coming weeks.
Maric was picked up in last season’s mid-season rookie draft as a forward, but hasn’t kicked multiple goals this season despite playing in 11 of a possible 13 games.
The recruitment of Jack Hutchinson and pending return of Allen gives the Eagles plenty of forward options, so a move up the ground could be good for Maric.
Maric is mobile for 196cm and is an excellent field kick as displayed in the last quarter of the loss to North Melbourne when he laced out forward Jake Waterman.
This will be a big watch.
Coach Watch
Finally Harry Taylor is in Eagles colours. The retired Geelong superstar has joined the Eagles this year as a leadership consultant but on Thursday he was giving a helping hand at training.
A dual premiership player and two-time All-Australian, Taylor is the perfect mentor for the likes of Harry Edwards and the other young defenders with his experience and knowledge hard to come by.

While Taylor was a new face, things weren’t going so good for midfield coach Jarrad Schofield who was sporting a sling on his left arm.
The former West Coast, Port Adelaide and Fremantle midfielder was doing his best to help when he could but there was little he could do other than direct traffic with one arm.
It meant Shuey was doing a lot of ball work with the midfielders for the majority of the session.

While Taylor was a new face, things weren’t going so good for midfield coach Jarrad Schofield who was sporting a sling on his left arm.
The former West Coast, Port Adelaide and Fremantle midfielder was doing his best to help when he could but there was little he could do other than direct traffic with one arm.
It meant Shuey was doing a lot of ball work with the midfielders for the majority of the session.

Schofield sporting a busted arm after Trew went to his place after the WAFL game to finish the job.

I am rather positive about how things are looking Astro, but I’m not a fully paid up member of the club like I’ve said on here before. There are times when the side doesn’t appear to be playing for Simpson and he lacks the influence to switch them on when they’re clearly off

Oops, but all in all they’re headed in the right direction 😃

Remaining fixtures, So MANY more matches left....

Round 14 - Bye
Round 15 - v Essendon @ Marvel
Round 16 - v Hawthorn
Round 17 - v Melbourne @ M.C.G
Round 18 - v Brisbane
Round 19 - v St.Kilda @ Marvel
Round 20 - v Fremantle @ Optus
Round 21 - v Gold Coast
Round 22 - v North Melbourne @ Blunstone Arena
Round 23 - v Carlton
Round 24 - v Geelong @ GMHBA Stadium

In all honesty I wouldn't back us in any of those games. Hawthorn, St.Kilda & North would be our best bets but I think we would likely start outsiders in all of them, especially with Hawthorn currently winning most of their recent games.

Are we a spoon chance? I think North's % still makes them favorite but a couple of massive hidings will put ours near theirs very quickly. They still could snag a couple of more wins perhaps too of course. Richmond aren't playing too bad as well. We haven't looked right since the Crows loss. Maybe the bye can help us restructure, if not this season could very easily start again to look like the last two...

Maybe we turn up at home v Hawks, Lions, Freo or the Suns. Maybe....

But Im with oy, not confident with any of those.

North to beat us in Tassie to jump past us? ;):oops::$:eek:

or was a new face, things weren’t going so good for midfield coach Jarrad Schofield who was sporting a sling on his left arm.
Out- Sheed
In- Schofield

The fella has had the deck stacked against him in a lot of ways but i just don't see him making it from here. He has played 40 games of footy in 4 years and not at all this year without much prospect of that changing with a groin issue that seems not particularly responsive to treatment - still listed 3-5 weeks, down from 4-5 weeks, which is basically season at this stage with our history of what a rolling "x-5" weeks actually means.

I hope I'm wrong because he certainly deserves a clear run at it but I fear his ship has sailed. I guess time is still somewhat on his side, only turning 21 after the season finishes but he has missed a huge chunk of development.
Bazzo is contracted until the end of '25 so he should have plenty of opportunities to show what he has/hasn't got. I'm optimistic especially as you say he's not yet 21.

Don't know about that, not after the 11 goal thumping dished out by the dogs. If we are in, with our at present outs, we can do them again.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Bye Round Musings - Remaining fixtures, spoon likelihood/will we win another game this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back