Unofficial Preview Bye Round Musings - Remaining fixtures, spoon likelihood/will we win another game this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

If we can get guys back from injury and stay un injured we will be competitive.

The problem is we keep getting injuries to important players and we have nothing to replace them with.

Hopefully the guys have a good rest, 3 wins by the bye we all would've taken at the start of the year 100%.

Especially when we were 0-4.

Apart from probably 3 games we've been in most games late which is huge too.

Take small improvements.

Still annoying yesterday though

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Of course - in an ideal world - however looking objectively you would say at least 4 of those 5 should be present and healthy barring some sort of disaster. Everyone has their turn at fielding majority of their best blokes and hopefully ours comes with some competitive footy towards the end.
We'll never have a fully healthy squad - it doesn't happen across any team in the AFL. Those 5 guys may come back, but there will be 3 or 4 injuries elsewhere along the way guaranteed.

This is what a rebuild is. We've turned the corner to at least have a competitive best 22, but our depth sucks because we're still developing players and turning over the list. The good news is that we started the process at the end of 2021 and will keep getting better each year.

I suspect we'll trade in some role player depth this off season and hopefully go hard for some missing key players end of 2025. Then we're on for 2026. Of course, a blessed injury run could see us jump up next year too.

As for this year, we've been competitive in every home game bar GWS. We've got 5 left, including 3 against teams outside the 8. I could see us win at least 2 of those. We've been shocking when away, but odds are we jag one from nowhere. Are also playing two bottom four teams in that stretch (Saints and North).

2-4 wins seems likely before the end of the year. If we finish up with 5-7 wins with no more 10+ goal blow outs, I'll take that as a step forward in the rebuild.

If we bring the same attitude and structure as the Melbourne and Fremantle games, we'll win another 2-3

However, i feel like we've got to get selection right

Gov, Barrass and Edwards is to tall last few weeks, only needed when playing teams like Essendon or Carlton. Time to try Maric has a 3rd tall, good at ground level and great kick!

Need some speed in the F50, i like what Dewar brings. Plonk him inside 50 and tell him to pressure like a man possessed. 8 tackles a game with 10 quality touches is perfect

With Kelly and Harley, better be the end of Gaff and Sheed! Teams just straight through them

Bailey Williams is useless! Has great athleticism but heck me, isnt a footballer arseh*le. Hes getting in Waterman way, Jwilliams has way better forward craft.

When Ocsar is back

FF: Jwilliams Waterman Dewar
HF: Cripps OA Ryan

In my opinion if Simmo cant get the above right then hes done in my book

Nah there'll be a few wins somewhere. If Reid, Allen and Kelly come back strong we can do Hawthorn. Anyone is a chance against Melbourne right now. Gold Coast are filth on the road. We suck in Tassie, but Norf are still Norf, and we're a chance against St Kilda if Waterman and Allen get on a roll.

Round 14 - Bye
Round 15 - v Essendon @ Marvel
Round 16 - v Hawthorn
Round 17 - v Melbourne @ M.C.G
Round 18 - v Brisbane
Round 19 - v St.Kilda @ Marvel
Round 20 - v Fremantle @ Optus
Round 21 - v Gold Coast
Round 22 - v North Melbourne @ Blunstone Arena
Round 23 - v Carlton
Round 24 - v Geelong @ GMHBA Stadium
No chance of us winning any of these games if sheed & gaff are in the team.

Kelly, yeo & reid are vital to us having any chance of winning a home game.

Last year at the bye we were:

Wins: 1
Losses by 50-100 points: 4
Losses by 100+ points: 3

This year at the bye:

Wins: 3
Losses by 50-100 points: 5
Losses by 100+ points: 0

That is a huge improvement.

From a style of play point of view the team is definitely on the right track. Yes, there were ugly games, and games the team got belted and looked second rate, but this is to be expected from a young, rebuilding side.

We are still due some beltings, but I am hopeful that we can get another 3 wins at least for the rest of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have been so much happier had we won two home games in a row vs ****ing St Kilda and even more ****ing Norf.

Yeah those two losses have been really deflating

Five wins at the bye would’ve been cause for genuine optimism but now it’s hard to see where the wins come from albeit I think we’ll be able to scratch out another 3. I just don’t know who they’ll be against

Take this with however many grains of salt that you wish.

Bloke on YouTube "True Eagle" says that he was recently contacted by someone close to the club (before the game last week) who said we were varying our training loads and was convinced we'd lose to Norf but also equally convinced we'd beat Essendon after the bye.

Well we'll see. I think we might win a couple more at Optus. Forget about the game in Tassie, we've taken good teams down there and been flogged.

Take this with however many grains of salt that you wish.

Bloke on YouTube "True Eagle" says that he was recently contacted by someone close to the club (before the game last week) who said we were varying our training loads and was convinced we'd lose to Norf but also equally convinced we'd beat Essendon after the bye.

Well we'll see. I think we might win a couple more at Optus. Forget about the game in Tassie, we've taken good teams down there and been flogged.
LoLz

GC Will cut through us like Adelaide did unfortunately.

Our only hope is they are demoralised by then coz they're out of the running for finals

They will need to beat us to qualify and we'll beat them. Reverse of 2014. Then next year they make the GF and shit the bed against an MCG based team they've easily beaten twice.

Yeah those two losses have been really deflating

Five wins at the bye would’ve been cause for genuine optimism but now it’s hard to see where the wins come from albeit I think we’ll be able to scratch out another 3. I just don’t know who they’ll be against
Melbourne are ripe for the picking- something stinky there and now with Trac out, I reckon they will go into freefall.
North and Saints, both away but I reckon both very beatable. Suns at home- they haven't won an away game all year (although did win 2 home games in Darwin). Brisbane at home I think perhaps we are a chance- they are extremely flakey this year.
Of course to win any of these we need to bring what we did against Tigers, Dockers and Dees, not the trash we have served up the past 3 weeks but I think we do have it in us to win these. I wouldn't count on us beating the Dockers again but, they are starting to look pretty good since we beat them.

This is why the last 2 wins, particularly the last, sting. Really should have beaten North, were horrible for 3 quarters. Yes the umps gifted them a consolation win (I mean why, 0-23 is much more interesting than 1 and 22), but to lose to them at home was so depressing. After that I don't really care if we win again as long as we're competitive and are improving.

If we get 5 wins this season, that's an improvement.
Depends what emerges after the bye...a shift in intensity and synergy hopefully?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back