Cairns AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the CAFL 2008 season fast approaching,talk is rife of gun recruits signed,gruelling pre seasons completed and which teams are challenging for premiership favourtism.Plenty of unknowns in there.During an illustrious football career,GC has played many matchwinning roles on some fine arenas,and finds it hard to say which was the best. What i do know is my opinions of all the footy venues in FNQ.......so here it is.
Watsons Oval.North Cairns
A rather unremarkable oval that is neither good or bad.It seems this venue lacks atmosphere,and this combined with the tigers fortunes of late paints a bleak picture.Makeshift grandstand in the pocket is good for away supporters,whilst the clubhouse did a good job serving GC ice cold beer one evening recently.I must say though,that it seemed the stereotypical north supporter would be more appreciative if the bar was filled with more woodstock tall bourbon cans.Cant comment on the tuck shop offerings as i was too keen to get to shenannigans for beer,babes and burgers.5/10

Centrals Trinity Beach.
The first thing that strikes you about this ground is its immense size...the far forward pocket is in a different postcode.Many a CAFL coachs well laid plans have come undone by teams taking the longest route to goal.This combined with the bulldogs trademark tenaciousness makes wins here well earned.Goalsquare clapper could also imagine the dogs having some great post game revelry in their impressive social club,plenty of bars, memorabilia and pokies.Have heard some very positive feedback on the parma and chips,on which some elderly patrons nearly choked on last year when a streaker graced the field during a game.6/10

Cazalys.
The first time i had the pleasure of strolling over the manicured surface of Cazalys,my comrade said that my face had turned pale.I merely explained that was due to an abundance of blood rushing to my nether regions,such was my delight in the condition of the grass.Ahh,finally a soft landing for my 2-3 hangers each time i played here.Without doubt an absolute honour to run out onto this ground,with the old carrara grandstand and awesome social club completing the picture.Although finals here are generally wind affected,it still doesnt detract from what is simply a brilliant venue.Also,after trying some of the bbq fare being cooked by a hawks stalwart in the grandstand,The Clapper was left in no doubt about how and why Jamie Scrymgours thighs are so large. 10/10

Port Douglas.
Im sure many an unfocused footballer has been distracted looking for white pointers on the various beaches on the way to croc territory.Upon arriving at the ground,one is met by a social clubhouse that wouldnt look out of place in the film "Caddyshack".A perfect sized arena that also comes with large crowds of vocal supporters,the croc pit can be a fairly tough venue to take 4 points back down the cook highway.Cars parked all around the embankments around the ground add to the atmosphere to footy games in this tourist town.Rumours also abound that some of the best hot dogs north of townsvile are sold at the canteen here.8/10

South Cairns.

The cutters have a well sized ground with good grass cover,although at one end it seems you are looking up quite a steep hill.Situated in the southern 'burbs of cairns,it has good facilities but literally no warm up area.Goals also seem easier to come by at the social club end,which has a rather large smattering of supporters in red and white shirts.Unfortunately,every time Goalsquare Clapper has attended fixtures here,the football has been accompanied by mindless rantings from the drunken members of the red and white army in the terraces,regardless of the scoreboard.Did i hear a banjo playing in the background......As yet i havent sampled any of the cutters tuck shop options,perhaps this year 7/10

Holloways beach
Halfway through my healthily salted bucket of chips in the scaffold grandstand down at snakeland,my enjoyment of the game (and my spilt diet coke)was rudely interupted by virgin flight dj 647 flying what seemed like 30 metres above my head.Apart from being in this direct flight path, the home of the cobras is quite a good oval.Perfect length, rather wide,good grass and social club on the wing are all pluses.One would imagine that after a good win ,the xxxx gold would flow into the wee hours on the lawn area in front of the club.8/10

Cairns saints

Perhaps the smallest ground in the CAFL,this oval sometimes has average grass cover.Commission type houses at one end and construction site at the other doesnt do much for the look either.All this makes it even harder to snatch a win against the perennially strong saints.Although somewhat critical of this venue,its still not a bad ground to play at.Also have to comment that when i wasnt witnessing some Matt Walsh acrobatics, i saw some of the most attractive female canteen attendants ive ever seen work here.These lasses were of such a standard that Goalsquare Clapper was observed one day hovering around the kiosk,ordering one dimmy with soya sauce on 9 different occasions.6/10
Well there it is,criticise,congratulate or concur.
And if none of those,just bring on the footy!!

can anybody tell me the name of that big gumby playing for norths that wears the black wrist bands, he needs to learn how to play, was playing ruck in the pre season cup

With the CAFL 2008 season fast approaching,talk is rife of gun recruits signed,gruelling pre seasons completed and which teams are challenging for premiership favourtism.Plenty of unknowns in there.During an illustrious football career,GC has played many matchwinning roles on some fine arenas,and finds it hard to say which was the best. What i do know is my opinions of all the footy venues in FNQ.......so here it is.
A rather unremarkable oval that is neither good or bad.It seems this venue lacks atmosphere,and this combined with the tigers fortunes of late paints a bleak picture.Makeshift grandstand in the pocket is good for away supporters,whilst the clubhouse did a good job serving GC ice cold beer one evening recently.I must say though,that it seemed the stereotypical north supporter would be more appreciative if the bar was filled with more woodstock tall bourbon cans.Cant comment on the tuck shop offerings as i was too keen to get to shenannigans for beer,babes and burgers.5/10

Centrals Trinity Beach.
The first thing that strikes you about this ground is its immense size...the far forward pocket is in a different postcode.Many a CAFL coachs well laid plans have come undone by teams taking the longest route to goal.This combined with the bulldogs trademark tenaciousness makes wins here well earned.Goalsquare clapper could also imagine the dogs having some great post game revelry in their impressive social club,plenty of bars, memorabilia and pokies.Have heard some very positive feedback on the parma and chips,on which some elderly patrons nearly choked on last year when a streaker graced the field during a game.6/10

Cazalys.
The first time i had the pleasure of strolling over the manicured surface of Cazalys,my comrade said that my face had turned pale.I merely explained that was due to an abundance of blood rushing to my nether regions,such was my delight in the condition of the grass.Ahh,finally a soft landing for my 2-3 hangers each time i played here.Without doubt an absolute honour to run out onto this ground,with the old carrara grandstand and awesome social club completing the picture.Although finals here are generally wind affected,it still doesnt detract from what is simply a brilliant venue.Also,after trying some of the bbq fare being cooked by a hawks stalwart in the grandstand,The Clapper was left in no doubt about how and why Jamie Scrymgours thighs are so large. 10/10

Port Douglas.
Im sure many an unfocused footballer has been distracted looking for white pointers on the various beaches on the way to croc territory.Upon arriving at the ground,one is met by a social clubhouse that wouldnt look out of place in the film "Caddyshack".A perfect sized arena that also comes with large crowds of vocal supporters,the croc pit can be a fairly tough venue to take 4 points back down the cook highway.Cars parked all around the embankments around the ground add to the atmosphere to footy games in this tourist town.Rumours also abound that some of the best hot dogs north of townsvile are sold at the canteen here.8/10

South Cairns.

The cutters have a well sized ground with good grass cover,although at one end it seems you are looking up quite a steep hill.Situated in the southern 'burbs of cairns,it has good facilities but literally no warm up area.Goals also seem easier to come by at the social club end,which has a rather large smattering of supporters in red and white shirts.Unfortunately,every time Goalsquare Clapper has attended fixtures here,the football has been accompanied by mindless rantings from the drunken members of the red and white army in the terraces,regardless of the scoreboard.Did i hear a banjo playing in the background......As yet i havent sampled any of the cutters tuck shop options,perhaps this year 7/10

Holloways beach
Halfway through my healthily salted bucket of chips in the scaffold grandstand down at snakeland,my enjoyment of the game (and my spilt diet coke)was rudely interupted by virgin flight dj 647 flying what seemed like 30 metres above my head.Apart from being in this direct flight path, the home of the cobras is quite a good oval.Perfect length, rather wide,good grass and social club on the wing are all pluses.One would imagine that after a good win ,the xxxx gold would flow into the wee hours on the lawn area in front of the club.8/10

Cairns saints

Perhaps the smallest ground in the CAFL,this oval sometimes has average grass cover.Commission type houses at one end and construction site at the other doesnt do much for the look either.All this makes it even harder to snatch a win against the perennially strong saints.Although somewhat critical of this venue,its still not a bad ground to play at.Also have to comment that when i wasnt witnessing some Matt Walsh acrobatics, i saw some of the most attractive female canteen attendants ive ever seen work here.These lasses were of such a standard that Goalsquare Clapper was observed one day hovering around the kiosk,ordering one dimmy with soya sauce on 9 different occasions.6/10
not a bad assessmement clapper a bit hard on souths though.;)

Did Gez Liddell commit to play with Coxy?

Gez Liddell was really not welcome back at Seymour ,[ and i have heard to diffrent stories to why] so after not being welcome back to Barooga either he is now building his brothers house near Bendigo , and will play with his brother until the house is built. Then I was told he is going to head up and play with Coxy at Port Douglas. Im hearing that this little pony seems to up set people where ever he plays .

Gez Liddell was really not welcome back at Seymour ,[ and i have heard to diffrent stories to why] so after not being welcome back to Barooga either he is now building his brothers house near Bendigo , and will play with his brother until the house is built. Then I was told he is going to head up and play with Coxy at Port Douglas. Im hearing that this little pony seems to up set people where ever he plays .
i dont no if thats true fox youd have to talk to the port recruiting manager. the famous scotty "surebet" ewert????:cool::cool:

Cairns Cobras have picked up a guy named Grant Corcoran from Wodonga Raiders. He is a very good player who has played most of his games for us in the back half, can also play forward. If one of you guys could give me a report on how he goes that would be appreciated.

Centrals Trinity Beach.

Cazalys.

Port Douglas.

South Cairns.

Holloways beach

Cairns saints

Great review. I reckon Holloways Beach is the best venue. Great ground and facilities and usually you beat them. South Cairns would be the worst. It always rains there. Cold and wet.
Tips
Souths by 10g
City's by 3g
Hawks by 2g

Great review. I reckon Holloways Beach is the best venue. Great ground and facilities and usually you beat them. South Cairns would be the worst. It always rains there. Cold and wet.

How can u say Holloways is the best , it is a dust bowl all year , Griffith Park is a better ground and that is cr-p what with the pot holes ( will give them this , top tucker ), even Watson oval pees all over it and that has a dead pocket ,

for atmosphere really , no one can go pass the Croc's home , when those boyz are in fine tune well look out all comers , toooo bad the cheer squad don't travel

Cairns Cobras have picked up a guy named Grant Corcoran from Wodonga Raiders. He is a very good player who has played most of his games for us in the back half, can also play forward. If one of you guys could give me a report on how he goes that would be appreciated.

u want to know about corcs? but wat about the dud pendagast? had enough of living in his brothers shadow did he. or probaly jsut ran out of freinds at raiders

just reading between the lines fox hat im guessing you have a couple of alias names on this site. by the way mate what did g.liddel do to you. that was quite a damning report you posted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just reading between the lines fox hat im guessing you have a couple of alias names on this site. by the way mate what did g.liddel do to you. that was quite a damning report you posted.

You are so right freelance , I have about about 5 alias, when im in a good mood im wear the fox hat , unhappy fromthebackline , sledging big time im Mr X and political i like to be Fretwell Park or Podier . And the little pony is a good fella , I was told he wasnt really welcome back at the den , and he caused trouble at Barooga , why Is that a damning report ? :cool:

You are so right freelance , I have about about 5 alias, when im in a good mood im wear the fox hat , unhappy fromthebackline , sledging big time im Mr X and political i like to be Fretwell Park or Podier . And the little pony is a good fella , I was told he wasnt really welcome back at the den , and he caused trouble at Barooga , why Is that a damning report ? :cool:

u wish u were me

I was at a 21st in Barooga last year and watched one of Liddel's team mates smash his ( Liddel ) head into a poker machine. I have never heard one person at the Barooga footy club say good things about him.

u wish u were me
obviously you are in the sledging mood today,if that is the case,you've made a complete and utter ''GOOSE'' of yourself by stating that you have about 5 alias's and then replying to your own quote's''ONE BEGINS TO WONDER''why...to many CHEECH and CHONGS one would think.

obviously you are in the sledging mood today,if that is the case,you've made a complete and utter ''GOOSE'' of yourself by stating that you have about 5 alias's and then replying to your own quote's''ONE BEGINS TO WONDER''why...to many CHEECH and CHONGS one would think.

i am not that w***er

the lions put an offer on tha table and it was not up to his likeing $ do motivate him very much these days, I have never heard anyone dick him and the times i have meet him he seems ok.

Now that we've got that out of our system guys.... This weekends games should be rippers. Souths should defeat the Bulldogs at Fretwell(Both A's and reserves) and I reckon Saints will beat the Hawks at Cazza's.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back