Cale Hooker - a step towards total football?

Remove this Banner Ad

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
The emergence of the future backline has been particularly exciting. Being an avid follower of the Italian Soccer team it always warms the heart to see a strong defensive unit taking shape.

One paper the one under construction is perhaps the best I have ever seen. Tayte Pears has probably caught the imagination the most of any player so far, and from the look of the stats and the reviews his game on Fevola it is all with good reason.

I must admit that the player that I think has become one of the most important at the club is Cale Hooker. It became clear after his second or third game this year that he would virtually be one of the first players selected each week (this is not a view influenced by his assistance in the ruck). His performances don't justify the comment but his place within the structure of the side selected each week does.

There are very few 196cm + key poisitions defenders in the AFL who are quick and agile enough to play on the smaller forwards. It will be Hooker's ability to compliment Pears that will be crucial. There are two aspects of the Hooker/Pears partnership:

• Firstly, Pears will often be an undersized key backman because of his frame. I am of the opinion that too often defenders are given stupid tasks on forwards that are much bigger than them. There is a confidence that Fletcher has instilled in me every time he lines up somewhere in the opposition 50m because there is virtually no physical assignment that is beyond him. It is Hooker that will fill this role at the Essendon Football Club for the next 10 years.
  • Secondly, Pears seems to be a very talented rebounder and suited to a role on a second or third tall that he can work off. Hookers ability to stand a CHF or FF will allow Pears to play more of a zoning role, and replace Fletcher (whenever he finally calls it quit - though there is no reason why this needs to be in the next 12 months).
Hooker is still thin and I thought that he was still a few years away from being able to impose himself pyhsically until he dominated a few contests against Carlton last night. I didn't see the whole game but there were a few glimpses of Hooker winning the ball and disposing of it well that brought a smile to my face.

The mauling against Tippett does not matter as every young backman is going to have a bag kicked on him during his career. Tippett also deserves credit as being a player of immense potential.

The emergence of Hooker means that Hurley's future will be swinging between forward and back depending on injuries and match ups. It also frees Ryder from, what hindsight has exposed as, the burden of playing at CHB. As good as he looked in the backline, Paddy's future is as a wingman come ruckman with the occasional stint forward and, if there is an injury crises, as a key backman. Coupled with Hooker's potential as a pinch hitting mobile ruckman, and the fact that he was drafted as a forward, we have the named players as probably two others that gives us 4 or 5 young talls that can play in multiple positions. It is a flexibility that is going to be the envy of almost every team in the competition in 12 months time.

I just wanted to make sure that Hooker is acknowledged as being perhaps the most cricual component of this felxibility.

I gave him 1 vote (behind Welsh and Fletcher) for last night's game. I love it how he takes on the game, yet at the same time he works hard the other way and does everything possible to spoil the ball. He is Kepler Bradley, but good.

He is a poor mans Fletcher - which is actually a huge compliment as Fletch is an absolute GUN!!!!

He plays in a similar vein to Fletch very agile and quick. I enjoy watching him and Pears back themselves in at the contest. Sure they get beaten but the next time they have the same crack. It is really enjoyable to watch - probably the most enjoyable since 93 in terms of watching kids play.

Top post Bruno.

Hooker has really surprised me this year. I thought he was destined to spend most of the season down at Bendigo but jeez he's come on quickly hasn't he?

Sometimes he looks a bit awkward and ungainly and occasionally makes me nervous when he's got the ball but you can't fault his effort and the progress he's made this year. Was he even recruited as a defender? I kinda recall him being mentioned as a future KP forward when we drafted him.

Our backline is going to be awesome in the next few seasons. We'll have Hooker, Pears, Hurley and Daniher all coming into their own and on the upswing. It's pretty amazing how we've basically rebulit our entire defense in the space of a couple of seasons. All of a sudden thing don't look so bad when the day comes that Fletcher calls it quits.

I loved last night how he was willing to back himself, take his opponent on, shrug the tackle and come out with the ball.

Hooker & Pears are such a good story this week, and I can't wait to see how Hurley will help them out even more.

Apparently Fletch loves his role as mentor to these boys, he deserves some credit for the speed of their progress. Hopefully he moves straight into a role as defensive coach when he retires in 5-6 years time...

Plays with a lot of heart. Skills are pretty reliable. Seems very coachable. Like him.

If the opposition have a pretty average 2nd ruck, T-Bell should not replace him. Hooker gives us too much around the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is a sharp, bony, pointy object.

evilgrin0039.gif

Yes I know this doesn't make much sense.

He's becoming a goodback man and worthy of his place in the side against more fancied higher draft picks. I think that our Back line is gonna be one of the best in 5 years.
Pears/ Hooker/ Dempsey/ Hurley/ Houli / Slattery you can add Daniher, Hocking & Lonergan if needs be !

Great mix of poise, aggression - speed and footy smarts.. plus a tough nut or two

Great OP.

Have been very impressed with him athletically. He is still quite gangly but what distinguishes him from a kepler type athlete is his fantastic balance. This cannot be taught. It really helps him in a contest situation. This to go along with his pace and endurance. Will remember how spent Reiwoldt was when they played on each other and he is the benchmark in athletic talls.

He also has a good grasp on the game plan. Runs right at the opposition and draws them at him, then just pops it over. Is not polished yet but will eventually be an excellent offensive backs.

Hooker is performing well enough to keep his spot in the side and has improved in the last month or so.
I still feel that Pears is head an shoulders above Hooker.
Hookers Pros :
- Great closing speed
- Great pace off the mark
- Confidence in his own ability to win the ball
- Will develop a great engine in the next couple of years
Cons :
- Does get outbodied at the moment (he still is lightly framed)
- Doesn't have the best footy brain
- Skills aren't up to scratch.

When Hurley comes back I would love to see him at FB with Hooker CHB. Pears plays on third tall which will allow Fletch to run off.

Hooker is performing well enough to keep his spot in the side and has improved in the last month or so.
I still feel that Pears is head an shoulders above Hooker.
Hookers Pros :
- Great closing speed
- Great pace off the mark
- Confidence in his own ability to win the ball
- Will develop a great engine in the next couple of years
Cons :
- Does get outbodied at the moment (he still is lightly framed)
- Doesn't have the best footy brain
- Skills aren't up to scratch.

When Hurley comes back I would love to see him at FB with Hooker CHB. Pears plays on third tall which will allow Fletch to run off.
That back line would be to tall, Hurley is jsut going to have to wait unless we drop someone who really doesn't deserve it

That back line would be to tall, Hurley is jsut going to have to wait unless we drop someone who really doesn't deserve it

Fletch would be playing as a lose man, and although it sounds tall I would love us to have a go at it.
We said that we were going to play 4 tall targets in the forward line so why not four tall backs? If it doesn't work we can always put Hurley or Fletch forward.

Something to keep in mind is that Fletch, Pears and Hooker are also very quick. Fletch and Pears can play on the medium forwards.

The big problem with our 4 tall forward idea is that they are not as mobile as our backs.

Interesting OP Bruno; well thought out.

I liked the comparison to Drew Petrie by BipolarBear in regards to playing style. I guess the difference is that Petrie has shown that he can go forward and be damaging (as seen with 6 goals in the first quarter IIRC). Hooker obviously hasn't had that opportunity yet.

I think in terms of pure defenders I would have Pears ahead of him. It is hard to judge Hurley yet but his kicking skills appear to be elite whilst Hooker's are only average at this stage.

I eventually see Hooker replacing Fletcher as the flexible backman who can play on a variety of forwards or go forward if required.

He has been a wonderful story this season and definetly part of our long term plans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cale Hooker - a step towards total football?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back