Callan Ward jumps ship

Remove this Banner Ad

At first glance, this appears to be a serious and blatant breach of AFL Player Rule 4.7...

Which is why we won't get official confirmation until after this weekend.

Which is why we won't get official confirmation until after this weekend.

Has he come to an "arrangement" or "understanding", or hasn't he? When it's announced is immaterial.

Expect the AFL to **** us over with the compensation, that money puts us in the Gary Ablett range.

Don't know what the formula says (is it flexible, too?) but I'd be requiring a top 5 pick for where Ward is at. Minimum.

Dont play him, get Wallis in, if he thinks he deserves a send off he has another thing coming. Guess there really is only one Chris Grant after all...

Has he come to an "arrangement" or "understanding", or hasn't he? When it's announced is immaterial.

Don't know what the formula says (is it flexible, too?) but I'd be requiring a top 5 pick for where Ward is at. Minimum.

Determining factors according to the AFL is age and money.

Callan is only 21 and on 750-800K per year.

That's Tier 1 compensation.

Has he come to an "arrangement" or "understanding", or hasn't he?

No, not until he decided immediately after the final Dogs game this weekend.

At least that's the official line we'll receive next week.

Good to read that the Dogs are the second team to lose two players to expansion clubs btw. :rolleyes:

Determining factors according to the AFL is age and money.

Callan is only 21 and on 750-800K per year.

That's Tier 1 compensation.

I doubt 750-800k is enough to push it into Tier 1 compensation. Obviously I hope it is, but I think we would need something more like $950k-$1m to get the Tier 1.

I doubt 750-800k is enough to push it into Tier 1 compensation. Obviously I hope it is, but I think we would need something more like $950k-$1m to get the Tier 1.

Possibly? Who knows what weighting age has and where the cut off is with money. Also the AFL could just move the goal posts to suit their agenda.

I'm doubtful the Dogs will do well out of this.

Possibly? Who knows what weighting age has and where the cut off is with money. Also the AFL could just move the goal posts to suit their agenda.

No doubt the AFL will declare him being "too young" to receive Band 1 compo, or something equally rediculous or unfair.

If the Cats only got a mid and end of 1st round pair of picks for Ablett, don't expect anything fancy for Ward. AFL is making this as painless as possible for the expansion teams.

Yeah but the AFL will make some BS excuse how it isn't a breach. Expect the AFL to **** us over with the compensation, that money puts us in the Gary Ablett range.

5 years is a long time, good luck living in that shit hole area of Sydney Callan.

Except Ablett got almost twice as much as the 750k rumoured to Ward.

It is my personal belief that it is arrogant and selfish for a young player to take the money and run under these circumstances before he has achieved something for the club that has drafted him (or at least busted his gut for years trying).

If the Cats only got a mid and end of 1st round pair of picks for Ablett, don't expect anything fancy for Ward. AFL is making this as painless as possible for the expansion teams.

If bands are a set range, then you could have player higher individually yet still make the same band. I.e Hawthorn would've been laughing with the compo they got for Brown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't cost the expansion teams anything. Except for the cap space to pay Ward.

It is my personal belief that it is arrogant and selfish for a young player to take the money and run under these circumstances before he has achieved something for the club that has drafted him (or at least busted his gut for years trying).

Bullshit! If he was to get a serious injury and not be able to play again the club wouldn't continue to pay him and set him up for life. It is prudent to lock in the $$ for the extended period while he can.

Clubs dump players (see Power just on the weekend), so surely players can do the same. Even if it is something none of us like to see, it is required to get the new teams up.

It doesn't cost the expansion teams anything. Except for the cap space to pay Ward.

What I meant by painless is that the AFL won't redirect any of the pre-determined top 10 picks of the draft, or any future drafts in return for a player of that calibre. Instead you will maybe get two spuriously positioned "first round" picks that completely undervalue the loss of that player, whereas maybe a more fair result would be losing say, pick 5 + end of first round.

Thats crap.

If someone offered you double your current salary would you change jobs?
Lets face it 90-95% of us would, footballers are no different.

At first glance, this appears to be a serious and blatant breach of AFL Player Rule 4.7...

http://www.aflpa.com.au/images/uploads/AFL_Player_Rules_-_February_2011.pdf

...and second glance, and third...
[/font]

How can you prove this, so far its just a speculation piece from a journo. Whether it proves to be correct in a week or longer is possible but still i doubt either party will put their hand up and say they agreed earlier. Ablett is still towing that company line whenever he is asked when did he decide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Callan Ward jumps ship

Remove this Banner Ad

Back