Senior Cam Rayner (2017-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nine things we learned: This Lion is a premiership wildcard

2) This Lion is a premiership wildcard

For seven seasons, No.1 draft pick Cam Rayner has teased with his limitless talent, occasionally exploding with flashes of brilliance. Teased, then exploded. Coming off a fifth-place finish in Brisbane's best and fairest last year, we just might be entering the prime of the young Lion's career. In a finals-like cauldron against Sydney, Rayner was unstoppable with his ability to break tackles in congestion and explode to the outside, kicking two goals and giving off two others from his 20 disposals. His second goal, where he swatted aside multiple Swans before sizzling a kick from 45m, was breathtaking. His form has been steadily improving since Brisbane's mid-season bye and has the capacity to raise the Lions' ceiling come September, should they make it that far. – Michael Whiting

Right as Rayner: Stats show maligned star has joined the League's best

RaynerAFL.jpg

NOT ONLY is Cam Rayner in the best form of his seven-season career, but Brisbane's dynamic half-forward has become one of the AFL's best players in recent weeks.

Since the Lions' mid-season bye, Rayner's impact has skyrocketed and his team has followed with eight successive wins.

For so long, the No.1 pick from the 2017 AFL Draft has teased with his explosive power and goalkicking ability, taking over small pockets of games, but struggling to consistently put them together.

That has now changed.

Coach Chris Fagan has given Rayner a license to attend stoppages, and the 24-year-old has thrived, mixing dangerous moments around the contest with his usual aerial threat inside forward 50.

His third quarter goal against Sydney in round 19 encapsulated his match-winning ability; he swatted aside defenders following a forward 50 clearance to roost home a much-needed goal from long range.

"He's got great belief in himself at the moment and he's using all his attributes really well," Fagan said.

"He's been a bit maligned, I guess. It's always tough when you're the No.1 pick in the draft, everybody watches you and watches your career.

"He's a bit like a red wine, he's getting better with age."

Rayner has kicked multiple goals in Brisbane's past five games, a stretch during which he has averaged 16.1 Player Ratings points, ranking him 17th in the AFL.

dMdp3JM3.jpg

It's the best five-week stretch of his career.

Narrow that in to the past three wins over West Coast, Sydney and Gold Coast and Rayner is rated the third best player in the competition, averaging 20 disposals, six tackles and four clearances a game while adding six goals and assisting another five.

Of his 132 career games, Champion Data has rated them as three of his best four.

Speaking prior to Brisbane's training session on Tuesday morning, Rayner said clarity with his role had played a huge part in his form surge.

"Just being able to have a balance between the both of them (forward and midfield) and seeing where I feel like I can impact the game at different stages," he said.

20GCBr24MR052182320.jpg

"My strengths are different to other people's strengths in the team and if we can find a way to play a game that works for all of us, I feel like that's how we can play our best footy."

Rayner's fitness has also improved, allowing him to impact later in games.

"There's things I've been speaking about with Muzz (forwards coach Murray Davis) and Brucey (midfield coach Cameron Bruce) which are key indicators for me," he said.

"I feel like if I can get them ticked off, the rest of it comes.

"I feel like I've been able to get them ticked off pretty early in games, which then gives me the confidence to go through and play them out."

10BriRi24RF-57.jpg

Despite his own top form and the Lions' winning run, Rayner says such a condensed ladder means there is no chance to relent, starting with a trip to Marvel Stadium on Sunday to face St Kilda.

"If you don't keep that energy up, you can get found out straight away," he said.

"Any team can beat any team and it's a challenge every week. You've got to keep finding ways to build energy around the club."

‘EMERGING’ STAR IS ‘JUST SO POWERFUL’ IN OMINOUS SHOWING

Could Cam Rayner be Brisbane’s catalyst come finals time? It sure seems like he’s warming up at the right time of the year.

Rayner finished with 23 disposals and three goals. It’s the third week the former No. 1 pick has recorded over 20 disposals and kicked multiple goals.

“The emergence of Cam Rayner — his own belief (growing) over the past six weeks; that bodes well for the Lions going into September,” Brown told Fox Footy on Sunday night.

Added Schleicher: “He really is doing it all — he’s just so powerful … The confidence that we’re seeing in his game has been incredible.”

By half-time, Rayner already had 10 disposals, five score involvements, 269 metres gained and two goals.

“He could be the most impactful player in the competition,” Brown continued.

“Because at the end of the day, he only needs to touch it 15-20 times and he’ll be best on ground most weeks if he’s doing that.

“That second quarter, it showed the impact he can have in short periods of games, and we’ve lauded the greats that have had that capability — Dustin Martin the most recent.

“I’m not saying he’s Dustin Martin-level at this stage, but his past six weeks — he’s growing in confidence, and leading into September, that’s a great thing.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Senior Cam Rayner (2017-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back