Cameron Ling - Does he ever shepherd?

Remove this Banner Ad

TGTOA

Senior List
Apr 12, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Geelong
I've been observing Cameron Ling over the past month or so, and one thing has stood out for me. I don't think I've ever seen the guy lay a shepherd. That's astounding when you consider the amount of little "give off" hanpasses he gives, which should be followed by giving all the protection you possibly can to the player running with the ball.

On numerous occasions though, I've seen him give off a little handball, only to then watch an opponent run stright past him in pursuit of the ball carrier. It's little one percenters like that which can be the difference between a clean disposal to a leading forward and a hurried kick under pressure leading to a turnover. This happened at least twice that I can recall yesterday.

The guy works hard to get possession, but he needs to work hard off the ball as well. He's probably not the only guilty party in this respect, but it just displays how our players aren't doing the team things and working for one another at the moment. It should start with the leaders, and he's supposedly one of them.

TGTOA said:
I've been observing Cameron Ling over the past month or so, and one thing has stood out for me. I don't think I've ever seen the guy lay a shepherd. That's astounding when you consider the amount of little "give off" hanpasses he gives, which should be followed by giving all the protection you possibly can to the player running with the ball.

On numerous occasions though, I've seen him give off a little handball, only to then watch an opponent run stright past him in pursuit of the ball carrier. It's little one percenters like that which can be the difference between a clean disposal to a leading forward and a hurried kick under pressure leading to a turnover. This happened at least twice that I can recall yesterday.

The guy works hard to get possession, but he needs to work hard off the ball as well. He's probably not the only guilty party in this respect, but it just displays how our players aren't doing the team things and working for one another at the moment. It should start with the leaders, and he's supposedly one of them.

Yeah I've noticed that as well. I've also noticed him only watching his man then run straight past the ball. He has been alot better in the last few matches though.

Ling has his limitations as a footballer but generally busts his balls in his efforts each week. The sheparding etc should be addressed by the coaching staff if we had any???? Would Matthews,Malthouse even Roos,Worsfold or Craig put up with that??? NO!
If they don't know how, teach them, if they won't , drop them or dump them....

Budda 230 said:
Yeah I've noticed that as well. I've also noticed him only watching his man then run straight past the ball. He has been alot better in the last few matches though.

That's because he is tagging, the methods are such that you don't give a stuff about the ball, as long as your opponent doesn't get a touch.

thegerman said:
That's because he is tagging, the methods are such that you don't give a stuff about the ball, as long as your opponent doesn't get a touch.

I understand he is tagging, but if he is giving a free disposal to a different player when his opponent isn't in a dangerous position. What's the point?

He tries every week and loves the Geelong footy club, but that is dumb footy.:thumbsdown:

I get the impression when watching Ling play that he thinks if he hasn't got the ball it's someone else's responsibility, not his. Have you ever noticed how many times when he's under pressure he just kicks blindly across his body or just bombs a hospital pass down the ground?

As for him not laying a shepherd, I remember the game against Port Adelaide when Joel Corey had the ball and was streaming down the wing with someone on the outside of him and Cameron Ling was on the inside of him, a Port Adelaide player sprinted across from Ling's side and nearly tackled Corey. Luckily we kept possession and Ling ended up kicking a goal, but if Ling did the team orientated thing and shepherded we never would have been in the position to lose possession in the first place.

This is what I dont understand if Cameron Ling is a so called tagger why does he play in the RR position? I always thought that these guys were the ones that attacked the ball and got it out to the running players.

:confused:
geelong07 said:
This is what I dont understand if Cameron Ling is a so called tagger why does he play in the RR position? I always thought that these guys were the ones that attacked the ball and got it out to the running players.

geelong07 said:

This doesn't make sense mate. A tagger's role is to negate a midfielder so he must play in the midfield. There are no real positions in the midfield any more. There are 3 midfielders who start in the centre square (namely a ruck-rover, a rover and a centreman) but they are interchangeable. Ling plays on whichever midfielder is considered best suited to be tagged whether they be named as ruck-rover, rover or centre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cameron Ling - Does he ever shepherd?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back