News Cameron Ling retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Just popping in to toast a great footballer. Not to diss the guy, but a few years back I would never have picked Ling to be a walk up starter and a vital member in a 3 time premiership team. A tough but fair player who could beat the very best. A honest hard working champion footballer - well done.

Congrats to him :thumbsu:

Champion player, sad to see him go but it's a great way for him to bow out. Just remember each week trying to work out who Lingy was going to so i could pick another person for my dreamteams and supercoaches.

From talks about what type of captain he was sounds like a great leader, hope to see him in the media or coaching circles soon. Cheers to a gun :thumbsu:

"Congrats to Lingy. Best way to retire as a premiership captain kicking the last goal of the game. Hope you'll enjoy your retirement. We'll try not to miss you so much" - From your close friends at the Hawks, Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge

Was expecting this day to come around soon, but god i'm gutted that the ginger ninja is calling it a day :(

What a way to bow out though! Captains the team he grew up barracking for as a kid to a premiership, and kicks the last goal of the game to boot! Never a player that deserved it more than the Linga! Total legend!

Absolute champion and one of the best taggers the game has ever seen! Who now takes over the mantle as the sexiest player in the AFL????:)

Thanks Lingy for giving your all to our great football club. It wont be the same not seeing that flaming mop of hair running around in the hoops again!

PS- please no more retirements this year, i really cant take it lol!!

Must be my favourite

remember when he was part of the young group that was assembled.
Lingy seems to be an all round charmer.
hope to see him in the media.Maybe he is too good for the media.
the system is rotten, I can only rejoice winning the cup for 4 days before we hear about him retiring.
Ofcourse he announces it early for the recruitment guys in upcoming trade week.Lingy always thinking of the club.

Im sure the midfielders from the other 16 teams went out and celebrated pretty hard tonight.

What a fantastic career he has had. Doesnt have the most talent in the world but really goes to show just how far hard work can get you. Its a real credit to him and an inspiration to other aspiring footballers.

Thanks Lingy for the memories and all the best in whatever it is you choose to do after football.

Thanks Lingy for some great memories of the past 12 years.

A true footballer with great passion for the Geelong football club.Going to miss yelling out RING - A - DING - LING.

It would be remiss of me to not quickly log in and add my well wishes to be "Paddle Pop Lion".

Proved a lot of doubters wrong, right to the end and was a pretty popular member of the AFL community.

Gonna be a bit odd not seeing that red mane out there next year but I reckon he went out on a pretty big high.

Love ya work Cling!!

Oh, and rather than go looking for other threads about it - many, many thanks for the Moondog and Dasher (who I suspect will also put the pin) as well.

Both guys gave their heart and soul for Geelong and are true champs of this club.

All the best gents.

F*cking Herald Sun are a disgrace.

A 3-time premiership player, Premiership Captain from 4 days ago, iconic player in the AFL retires and what do they put on their back page?

"Nathan Buckley starts his first day as Collingwood coach"

They managed to squeeze Ling in 3 pages in after the more important issues such as McAffer and Goldsack being trade bait. So kind of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A 3-time premiership player, Premiership Captain from 4 days ago, iconic player in the AFL retires and what do they put on their back page?

They managed to squeeze Ling in 3 pages in after the more important issues such as McAffer and Goldsack being trade bait. So kind of them.

I think Jarryd Blair has a trailer for sale as well. So probably fair enough that Lingy has to take a back seat.

Patiently awaiting Cam Ling career highlights tribute youtube video to the tune of James Blunt's You're Beautiful.

Hoffy it's great humour and imma let you finish but I BLOODY HATE THAT SONG! JAMES BLUNT? MORE LIKE JAMES C**T...

Angry-Bert-THIS-IS-MY-WARFACE.jpg

Was told he would retire months back but didn't think he would.. Really thought one more year surely..But to win and go out like that and be set for life from such humble beginnings then fair enough..Looking back at lingy as a 16 17 year old and can't believe how far he has come.. Good on him.. One of the great legends of the AFL..And obviously got great character and one of the most liked Cats going around..

yeh and you wonder why so many have a pure hatred toward the club:mad:
Can you imagine if Leon Davis decided he didn't wish to go on and announced his retirement?
It would make front/back and sport sections of the papers

Remove this Banner Ad

News Cameron Ling retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back