News Cameron Ling retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Cameron Ling to retire

Would be very sad to see him go, but it would be a great way for him to finish up

Not allowed to happen...Big Red is a Cat supstar and should go around again...BUT can completely understand if he does-age, sore body, probably offered lots of cash to do special comments on tv, has owned most if not all midfielders that he has tagged in his career, 3 premierships, one as captain, businesses to run, owns half of G-town etc.
But please, not just yet Linga!

Listening between the lines of all his post GF interviews, I wouldn't be at all surprised. Much better to go out on top, at a time of your own choosing than the ignominy of injury or poor form.

On a related issues, I was discussing the other day with a mate, comparing Linga and Ablett. Ablett may have all the money now, but Linga will be legend in Geelong for the rest of his days. At the end, I reckon Linga will be better off financially than young Gaz, because any enterprise he attempts will be supported by Geelong faithful.

This was raised in the 2011 list management thread. My views were/are:

There's a report on a website suggesting he's been offered a role with 7. It also says he's yet to have a discussion with Chris Scott about next year. As Scott has been involved in discussions re the so called talent boot camp - think he attended today - I doubt that discussion has occurred. Plus I just can't see Linga making such a declaration on a day of team celebration like tomorrows.

He beat Mitchell, Priddis and Swan in the finals, so it was better having Ling in our team this finals then any of those three, therefore we are about to lose a Dane Swan to retirement.

Hows my logic?

I'm a 29 year old man, but i could have a good cry over this. Sad but true.

Not even my favourite player, but you just know he's a top bloke and everything about him is what you want Geelong to be.

Will be the end of an era when Pig Ling gives it away, but if this is true then he follows the new tradition started by Harley of pulling the pin after hoisting the cup. It also allows integration of a new mid to add to the core group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:( Do not want him to retire just yet! I think his position in the side is one of importance as we don't have anyone to replace him yet. What a terrific Player, Role Model, Citizen and all round legend. Will replace Billy Brownless as the face of the Club. If he does retire, i think we should retire his No. purely because he is the Mayor.

Geez, I thought he could go around again.

Wonderful servant of the Geelong Football Club and a key member in transforming this group from good to great.

It's a sad day but he's gone out with a bang and on his own terms.

Thank you Lingy. A GFC legend in every sense.

Sad to see the back of Linga has been the heart n soul of the club for awhile now. Thanks for the memories Skipper

Need to check draft camp now to see if there are any Redheads out there we need to keep the Geelong tradition of Carrot tops in the team alive

I knew it was coming and we all looked to the youth to fill the void but for some reason this news has made me feel very upset more so than any other player that has gone over the past years :(

I love his interviews and humble nature and I think his leadership presence on the field is a little more understated than what we think. Will miss his never say die attitude and that great ability to never concede defeat...whenever things weren't going our way, Lingy would never drop the head and would get straight back to the center and get the troops around to turn it around.

Certainly the best leader I have seen in the AFL and I just hope he stays with the club in a coaching role because we are starting to lose a few more coaching staff than what I'd like to see.

:( this news just broke my heart a little bit more - Moons, now Lingy, possibly Dasher...sad to see these blokes go - have been so important to our journey....

Gullan's pretty well connected at the club so I'd say it's true.

If so, the timing's right in a way because Linga gets to go out on the best possible note like Harley did, and it's probably about the right time for Sel to take over for the next decade.

Thanks for everything you've done for the club Lingy, you're a fantastic example to all at the club of hard work and great leadership, and you've done many a job on the best in the business, not least of which the one you just did on Saturday :thumbsu:

Wow, wasn't expecting him to retire, for me, he was BOG in the GF, stopping Swan almost completely and getting a bit of the ball himself, he ensured we had no chance of beating you, no matter what else happened.

Sad to see him go, he was a champion and actually had a personality, something lacking in the modern game.:)

Remove this Banner Ad

News Cameron Ling retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back