News Cameron Ling retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Cameron Ling to retire

Thought he might struggle a little more this year with injury than he did. Could maybe have gone around again but much better to go out as the AFL premier captain at the MCG than kicking the dew off the grass at Casey.

Has got a head for TV.

Congrats Lingy, a tru Geelong champion! What a way to go out!

No suggestion of Joel Selwood attending the press conference. Surely Selwood is automatically instated as captain? Could it/should it have been done today?

congrats to ling. as a pies supporter im glad to see him gone which says how highly rated the man is. would always shut down our best players like bucks and swan then he would hurt us on the rebound. all the best in the future .

What to say about ling ding ding from a fat full forward to one of the best taggers in the game.3 time preimership player one as skipper and one hell of a nice guy he always has time to say hello to anyone love lingy.your last shot at goal was better than your first.

This makes me sad :( But the timing couldn't be more perfect - "going out on a high" doesn't do it justice. Congratulations on a brilliant career, and thanks for everything, Lingy. We will miss you.

I know we hear this alot nowadays, but... he's a great story.

From where he came from and how he pushed himself to become what he did, is truly remarkable.

I also still have no idea how someone so slow could successfully and consistently shut out star mids like he did and hurt them the other way. And in his last game he shut out Dane Swan no less, a supposed untaggable player. Well done and deserves all the kudos he gets.

Didn't mention a single thing about it at the waterfront today so i am a bit confused. Did the media jump the gun?

Yeah he did he said he would make a comment "later" which i am assuming is the 3pm press conference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't mention a single thing about it at the waterfront today so i am a bit confused. Did the media jump the gun?

Nah press conference later this arvo which makes sense as the proper way to announce it and allow all the journos to ask questions etc.

Congrats Lingy, a tru Geelong champion! What a way to go out!

No suggestion of Joel Selwood attending the press conference. Surely Selwood is automatically instated as captain? Could it/should it have been done today?

Joel will be captain, we all know it, but I doubt it will be announced today, because today's about Cam, and what he's done for the club, and rightly so. I'm sure they'll announce Joel, which we all know will happen, in the coming weeks, that'd be my guess anyway.

wouldnt surprise now to see Dasher go on for another year with Linga gone. Already Ling, Drum, Moons and Blake to go - we really wouldnt want to end up with too many picks in this draft, with GWS still big players. What would be better for us - the 170'th player in the draft or Dasher Milburn playing 12 games and helping out the kids in the VFL also?

wouldnt surprise now to see Dasher go on for another year with Linga gone. Already Ling, Drum, Moons and Blake to go - we really wouldnt want to end up with too many picks in this draft, with GWS still big players. What would be better for us - the 170'th player in the draft or Dasher Milburn playing 12 games and helping out the kids in the VFL also?

In theory yes, there's a couple of problems with that. One is whether Dasher would want to go on to possibly miss out at the business end again like this year. The second is that he's on the vets list, which is a valuable spot for salary cap relief, when you consider that say Chapman could be on it next year instead. Makes it very hard to justify rolling Milburn over again if he's seen largely as a backup player/development help for the VFL players. I reckon he'll retire as well.

depends on Dasher I guess. Could pull him off the vets list and pay him a lesser salary, with the idea he wont play a full season in the AFL. I remeber when Bluey McGrath and Menschy played in the 02 VFL side and I reckon they were great for leadership and the development of Ablett, Bartel, Kelly, Johnson, Hunt, Rooke et all.

In theory yes, there's a couple of problems with that. One is whether Dasher would want to go on to possibly miss out at the business end again like this year. The second is that he's on the vets list, which is a valuable spot for salary cap relief, when you consider that say Chapman could be on it next year instead. Makes it very hard to justify rolling Milburn over again if he's seen largely as a backup player/development help for the VFL players. I reckon he'll retire as well.

So to follow in even if a little OT, who gets the Rookie promotion, who gets a relist and who gets cut to make space for picks.....

Would still love to see Dash go around again....

And re the salary cap PO, would not the loss of Moons, Ling, Blake and Drum create enough space to keep Dash on with respect to Chappy not going onto the Veteran list bc Dasher is still on it. You know WAY more than I about it but id be interested to see the numbers of thoughts on it...

Go Catters

depends on Dasher I guess. Could pull him off the vets list and pay him a lesser salary, with the idea he wont play a full season in the AFL. I remeber when Bluey McGrath and Menschy played in the 02 VFL side and I reckon they were great for leadership and the development of Ablett, Bartel, Kelly, Johnson, Hunt, Rooke et all.

Problem is unless the AFL have changed the rules when you take a player off the vets list you have to delist them, and I can't see either Milburn or the club wanting to delist him and then re-draft him. Doesn't mean he can't be the VFL captain outside the list though, re your scenario.

Anyway, back on topic, we await Lingy's announcement.

So to follow in even if a little OT, who gets the Rookie promotion, who gets a relist and who gets cut to make space for picks.....

Would still love to see Dash go around again....

And re the salary cap PO, would not the loss of Moons, Ling, Blake and Drum create enough space to keep Dash on with respect to Chappy not going onto the Veteran list bc Dasher is still on it. You know WAY more than I about it but id be interested to see the numbers of thoughts on it...

Go Catters

We've got the room. My thinking was more that Chapman re-signed in 08 when our salary cap squeeze was at it's worst, so you can bet that the contract was probably written with him being paid more in 11 and 12 than 09 and 10, and they would have expected he'd probably be on the vets list by now, so they'd want to make use of that.

That said, we've got other retirements so we do have the room with the cap to keep Milburn as a vet but we would be forgoing the max cap relief we can get, is my point and all.

Would have loved to see him go around again, his departure will definitely hurt any chance we had at another tilt next year!

Nonetheless the man is ripping bloke and an absolute legend of the club! Thanks for everything Linga!

Joel will be captain, we all know it, but I doubt it will be announced today, because today's about Cam, and what he's done for the club, and rightly so. I'm sure they'll announce Joel, which we all know will happen, in the coming weeks, that'd be my guess anyway.
They have a process for selecting a captain - it gets discussed with the leadership group who advise the coaches and administration and the decision is made. While it may be obvious who the captain will be, they will not want to go down the slippery path of making assumptions. They will want to and need to make the decision properly.

Didnt I hear that Cook has said they'd like Ottens and Milburn on 1/2 year contracts next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

News Cameron Ling retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back