Can anything be done about Bruce?

Remove this Banner Ad

I can only presume everyone in this thread is trying desperately to find any reason to criticise him

Yes, he can be a bit cringey,
but he is still one of the better commentators going around.

Rompingwins and Baz, however, should not be heirs apparent.

It's a bit of a "best of bad bunch" scenario though, being better than Hame and Basil doesn't make him "good". It just means he is less terrible than they are.

WAFL commentator on the radio was saying 'shorts it' yesterday. Dwayne's crap is seeping into all levels of footy broadcasting unfortunately.

Heard Bruce and even Dennis use Dwaynisms in recent times. There must be commentator meetings :O

I want to fire Dwayne into the sun though, 'short' is not a verb >_<

He used to be great in the 90's
I think the problem is the flooding pack rolling maul that AFL is now
How anyone can commentate the current state of play ?

It's not the maul; it's probably a combination of inflated ego, our increased exposure to his mannerisms and, in turn, his attempts to reinvent his style. As an ABC listener, I'm aware that Gerard Whateley is going down the same path.

90s Bruce was very good; he just called the play and let the experts/crowd noise do the rest.

I'm fine with Bruce, he just says "eh" every second or third sentence. I'm sure if the producers at 7 point it out to him, he can cut that down to a more bearable level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a 90s state game on "Footy Flashbacks" yesterday. Bruce was a great caller, back then….
nah he was rubbish then and rubbish now. from day one he was spouting pointless stats....

I personally counted 6,356 "special"'s during the 90's. my Dad stopped listening to TV commentary when Bruce came on the scene..... he still misses Lou Richards & Bob Skilton asking for the 'we-play'

nah he was rubbish then and rubbish now. from day one he was spouting pointless stats....

I personally counted 6,356 "special"'s during the 90's. my Dad stopped listening to TV commentary when Bruce came on the scene..... he still misses Lou Richards & Bob Skilton asking for the 'we-play'

He was much better back then compared to today

At least back then he didn't ask questions "you reckon" "you think" "isn't he" "doesn't he"

He was much better back then compared to today

At least back then he didn't ask questions "you reckon" "you think" "isn't he" "doesn't he"

I'll concede that he was marginally better.... unless Adelaide were playing. he had a Modra boner from day one

Totally agree with this. It's amazing how many think McAvaney was at one point a great caller. He's always been incredibly cringeworthy. If anyone can find his deeply troubling call of Steven Jurica in about his 2nd game for Richmond.........those who were exposed to it took a long time to recover.

Yep I prefer Peter Landy and his "each of twos" and pining for the "halycoon" days.

Bruce has lost his shit! Called ibbotsons name even the he was the sub and then when freo made there sub he thought ibbo was subbed out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anything be done about Bruce?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back