Can anything be done about Bruce?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind him, but yeah, I think its a general problem with long-time commentators that they almost become caricatures of themselves. Bruce has definitely let his passion for the call get in the way of actually calling the game. Cometti's trying to squeeze in witty one-liners at every occasion, BT learns even fewer players names, Hamish McLaughlin every week reinforces that he has no feel for calling, other than to read off a stats sheet.

Even Huddo who many recognize as at least a good impartial commentator, gets more caught up in trying to create promo soundbites than actually calling the game.

Here's a question...

If you had Bruuuse, Huddo, Shaw, Darcy, BT and Commetti lined up against a wall with one free throw at your disposal to inflict damage..which one would you aim that one rock at...:oops:

Luke Darcy, and hope you get a bounce onto BT's melon.

Shits me to tears. But what shits me more is Ling and Harley. FFS - they should never be allowed near a microphone when Geelong are playing.

For example: Collingwood V Geelong a couple of weeks ago. Collingwood's Adams front-bumps Selwood and the point of his shoulder brushes his chin.

Ling couldn't wait to run onto the ground and put Adams in, on national tv. He had him hung drawn and quartered after asking Selwood how his chin was and whether he would be right for next week. I dont like Selwood a great deal but to his credit he embarrassingly tried to fob it off.

Get rid of all three of them and the last two are both walking and talking advertisements for the Geelong FC. They reckon Eddie was bad... You have to be kidding!

I'd Foxtel or whoever Brereton is working for on a game day would keep him away from Geelong games.

We know Yeates cleaned you up Dermie, but it was 25 years ago and you won the flag anyway, you really need to get over it and yourself. I don't think I've ever heard him do a Geelong game and give them any credit for winning or doing well.

Perfect example is the '11 GF, it was all about the Pies. Yesterday at half time, Geelong are playing at the top of their game and Hawthorn are playing poorly with plenty of scope to improve.

**** off Dermie.

Or even worse - Uncle Paulie is Paul Chapman

:mad:

haha yes!
But seriously so sick of listening to the useless opinions, stats and s*** talk, if i could pause free to air to match with radio broadcast the mute button would be the option

The whole AFL commentary team has to be the worst modern day callers across any sport. I didnt think many people liked them from going on the replies on here BUT the reality is..for every person who hates on the 7 team there are a lot more who like them.

The worst is having to listen to the blokey banter or how they force nicknames or they over rate players and just run with them. Cyril Rioli has to be the top of this list. I am not saying he is ubber ordinary BUT he does not merit at all the massive hype afforded to him.

Also commentators have to be IMPARTIAL when calling a game..they are far removed from this concept that its become grating and very unprofessional.

BUT we must remmeber - these are all ex football players who don't have one idea about broadcasting or producing television. Its like they set their own standards. Its so bad that even Bruce has fallen way below his usal standards. We have no one to call these guys pout for the terrible low brow television they are producing.

AFL on TV needs to get proper and professional people in there to clean it all up.

I dont want to watch a match and have to to listen to "BT" "RICHO" and "DARCS" go on about stupid things. Not every single person like blokey bogan banter.

Oh and please drop all nicknames ASAP.

haha yes!
But seriously so sick of listening to the useless opinions, stats and s*** talk, if i could pause free to air to match with radio broadcast the mute button would be the option

I muted the audio for a while yesterday.
Why channel 7 needed 6 commentators is plain our bewildering.
So hope 9 & 10 join forces again and out bid them when the next TV rights are up again.

The whole AFL commentary team has to be the worst modern day callers across any sport. I didnt think many people liked them from going on the replies on here BUT the reality is..for every person who hates on the 7 team there are a lot more who like them.

The worst is having to listen to the blokey banter or how they force nicknames or they over rate players and just run with them. Cyril Rioli has to be the top of this list. I am not saying he is ubber ordinary BUT he does not merit at all the massive hype afforded to him.

Also commentators have to be IMPARTIAL when calling a game..they are far removed from this concept that its become grating and very unprofessional.

BUT we must remmeber - these are all ex football players who don't have one idea about broadcasting or producing television. Its like they set their own standards. Its so bad that even Bruce has fallen way below his usal standards. We have no one to call these guys pout for the terrible low brow television they are producing.

AFL on TV needs to get proper and professional people in there to clean it all up.

I dont want to watch a match and have to to listen to "BT" "RICHO" and "DARCS" go on about stupid things. Not every single person like blokey bogan banter.

Oh and please drop all nicknames ASAP.
Summed it up perfectly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So hope 9 & 10 join forces again and out bid them when the next TV rights are up again.
9 are worse , its all about the personalities like that flog Brayshaw

Its not just 7 though.
Fox has some of the worst callers

Who decided ex-footballers make could callers? Newsflash, they are the worst and they drag the so called "pro's" down with them

FMD that are all saying "Big Boy McEvoy" now

BUT we must remmeber - these are all ex football players who don't have one idea about broadcasting or producing television. Its like they set their own standards.
This is a BIG part of the problem.

Footy isn't a sport that you have to play in order to understand or describe it effectively. Some of the best commentators were not players. It's not like, say, Formula One where having a recent ex-driver adds something due to the extreme technical complexity of it.

At most they should have one ex-player as a 'colour comments' guy, but the other commentators should be recruited on the basis of their ability as commentators not because Channel 7 wants to run a retirement home for flog ex-players.

This is a BIG part of the problem.

Footy isn't a sport that you have to play in order to understand or describe it effectively. Some of the best commentators were not players. It's not like, say, Formula One where having a recent ex-driver adds something due to the extreme technical complexity of it.

At most they should have one ex-player as a 'colour comments' guy, but the other commentators should be recruited on the basis of their ability as commentators not because Channel 7 wants to run a retirement home for flog ex-players.
So if the vast majority of us punters can see the problem, why can't the TV execs?

The best bit was when the hawks hit the front in the last and Brrrruuuuucccceeeee was getting very excited. He asked all his fellow commentators who would win. They all said Hawthorn. That was my cue to chuck money on the cats to win.

Yeah, watching the replay I had the distinct impression Bruce had removed his trousers at that point.

All the money that is wasted by C7 on bloated commentary teams could be ploughed into providing HD coverage.:thumbsdown:

This x 10000000000000

I am embarrassed after having traveled to some counties who have it worst than we do and their TV is broadcast in HD.

I paid top $$$ for HDTV to watch things in HD. Yesterday was a disgrace..i stood closer to my TV and the bit rate that 7 uses was beyond poor. I can watch stuff on YOUTUBE that has better compression.

Then i turn to a friggen shopping channel..and low and behold it was on HD.

Ch 7 are cheap bastards..they simply dont want to spend or allocate money on HD equipment.

How the hell does a country that likes to consider itself as up there with the "big boys" still transmit their TV in SD??

9 are worse , its all about the personalities like that flog Brayshaw

Maybe, but I actually don't mind JB.
If he could actually be serious for half a minute and call the footy like he does the cricket he's be so much more bearable.
Even Quartermain (appreciate he's 10) is better than Bwuce, BT & Darc.

Here's a question...

If you had Bruuuse, Huddo, Shaw, Darcy, BT and Commetti lined up against a wall with one free throw at your disposal to inflict damage..which one would you aim that one rock at...:oops:

I'd remove Hudson and Commetti. They're ok.

I would line up (in order) Taylor, Russell, McAveney. That way a high powered rifle could take out all three with one shot. Aim for the throat so none of them could speak again.

I think it has been stated before but Bruce is hardly at the top of list. Luke Darcy would be at the top by a big margin for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anything be done about Bruce?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back