Can Robert Harvey coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been a long-term assistant which no team has ever gone with. Even his own playing club, where he is a top 5 guy all time. He's emblematic of the old, defensive gameplan which we all hope is left in the past.

I think one of the main reasons Bucks is less effective is that he's been around the group too long. Replacing him with his longest-tenured assistant isn't going to help that
Robert Harvey = Deep State

Good luck to Harvey for the rest of the year.
No chance he is at Collingwood next year.

If he could coach, he would be just the type of guy we could use. I doubt journos will turn up to his press conferences in the future. He is so non charismatic. I'm saying this as a positive thing. A guy who could just hose down all the headlines. The last thing the Pies need are charismatic people representing the club.

Been an assistant for 10 years so must know the caper well. From the outside none of us know what he is like but we performed pretty well on Saturday. Having been around for a good while at Collingwood no doubt counts against him but if GW and the committee opt for him would be happy to back their judgement

Been an assistant for 10 years so must know the caper well. From the outside none of us know what he is like but we performed pretty well on Saturday. Having been around for a good while at Collingwood no doubt counts against him but if GW and the committee opt for him would be happy to back their judgement
I suspect you would be in a very small minority.
In my opinion he has no chance of being coach next year. You don’t move on a guy like Bucks and replace him with a long time assistant.
Won’t happen.

I suspect you would be in a very small minority.
In my opinion he has no chance of being coach next year. You don’t move on a guy like Bucks and replace him with a long time assistant.
Won’t happen.
I agree he is not likely but at the same time if GW and group selecting the next coach choose him I would back him in

Harvey gets belted around a bit on the board when none of us know how good a coach he is.

I agree he is not likely but at the same time if GW and group selecting the next coach choose him I would back him in

Harvey gets belted around a bit on the board when none of us know how good a coach he is.
I’m not belting him. Just don’t believe he is worth discussing in terms of 2022.

I’m not belting him. Just don’t believe he is worth discussing in terms of 2022.
Not you belting him , in general he gets a lot of unwarranted criticism from posters.

To me he is worth discussing for 2022 because as our current coach he will be considered. I think its a long shot but he is a chance. I wouldnt be against that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at the players he wants selected ffs
I cant imagine him doing anything that breaks the mould Buckley has made
He represents status quo, not the future
That’s the whole point of being the caretaker.

he gives me the impression that he's a team player which is what you need in modern footy - a group of coaches all on the same page. You only have to look at the coaches who are coaching from the boundary line to see there's a fair few of them who are willing to pass the reins over to others in the box.... fagan at bris, goodwin at melb, and others.

But you want the head coach to do the "face of the club" duties well...fronting media. providing a reliable face to the fans... I dont think harvey does that.

he gives me the impression that he's a team player which is what you need in modern footy - a group of coaches all on the same page. You only have to look at the coaches who are coaching from the boundary line to see there's a fair few of them who are willing to pass the reins over to others in the box.... fagan at bris, goodwin at melb, and others.

But you want the head coach to do the "face of the club" duties well...fronting media. providing a reliable face to the fans... I dont think harvey does that.
Bucks was pretty good at that…

Bucks was pretty good at that…

true... although I think he was too charismatic....attracted too much attention. I just watched the harvey press conference and he started off well. it would seem that someone advised him to look at the camera and keep his answers from rambling and obviously, he will improve with experience. He's in the ball park and it does take some time to get accustomed to a coach who is saying nothing at all, but I think harvey is closer to what we need than buckley.

You can tell the media and the fans too much and coupled with the charisma, buckley just attracted too many people around the campfire. Collingwood really needs to hose all this chatter down a bit and providing a coach who doesnt say much but in a friendly authorative manner is best way, i think. Leigh Matthews was good at it. Malthouse was good but he cut his combative teeth in perth where he had to keep the media from dissecting the eagles. The advantage malthouse had in perth was that everyone in perth wanted the eagles to succeed, which is different from the pies in melbourne. This means that a journo undercutting the eagles in perth would be seen as a leper....

So going back to buckley, all the media loved his insights etc, but robbo is an essendon supporter, caro for the tiges...etc etc. Even half the pie supporters didnt like buckley - dont get me started on that.

Drop Cox In Kelly
Drop Madgen In Keane/Wilson
Drop Brown IN Sier/Macrae as SUB

kelly actually got a kick in the vfl, but it's probably the first decent game he's played since junior footy. some vfl footy might give him some confidence. i dont know if elevating a player and then seeing him get 2 kicks and look out of place, helps anyone.

the only advantage keane and wilson have over madgen is that they are younger. at least madgen gets in the play

i agree with brown is past his useby date but how many times do we try again with sier? I cant see him being any better at this stage. You could argue that playing brown as sub, allows the youngsters to play a vfl game and get more experience. I'm not sure if it's any benefit having a young guy as a sub if he doesnt play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Robert Harvey coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back