Can the Hawks recover from the disappointing year????

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawkk said:
As Carlton recover we are the new Carlton 2002-2003.
The simularities are profound, except the roles are reveresd we will finish 15th and 16th instead of 16th and 15th.

Where was all the trading? The high profile coach? The salary cap penalties? The large amount of delistings?

Thrawn said:
Where was all the trading? The high profile coach? The salary cap penalties? The large amount of delistings?
We had the media Carlton had.
The EGM the Blues had.
And will probably get a call to arms like Carlton did.
Yes we dont have the high profile coach but if Kennett puts up a third party we will probably have a high profile President.

The answer is no, I can't see the Hawks making much improvement next year, Im afraid to say, its over.

Its now only a matter of time now until the AFL decides Hawthorn to merge or relocate or w/e.

I only see Hawthorn maybe having 3-4 years left in the AFL Competition.

Pity it would be nice to see them dominate the season again, as Hawks are the only Vic side that I can tolerate.

if hawthorn get more than 5 wins in 2005 they have overperformed

its as simple as that

every other side in the competition except fremantle and sydney will realistically be expecting to improve next year - yes, even melbourne -they themselves would be expecting improvement

it means its spoon time for the hawks unless another team (i'm thinking the bulldogs) totally fall over in 05

Footyboy said:
Its now only a matter of time now until the AFL decides Hawthorn to merge or relocate or w/e.

Er...no. Almost impossible in the new Hawthorn constitution - updated 1996 - to approve a merger, and we're financially strong at the moment. Not happening.

mace007 said:
Er...no. Almost impossible in the new Hawthorn constitution - updated 1996 - to approve a merger, and we're financially strong at the moment. Not happening.
Weve also got a strong supporterbase 400 000 i believe, have had strong memberships and are attractive for the television companies, supprizingly Hawthorn games draw good television audiences.

Hawthorn figures at the gate are also fine-
1999-38 900
2000-31 000-change from Waverly to "G" hit hard on the club
2001-36 000-recovering
2002-40 000-great
2003-34 000-good considering start to year
2004-29 000-year from hell enough said
btw, these are the average for home games, average attendances at the g are much higher as Hawthorn supporters hate the Telstra Dome and the 2 games in tassie i think are included in the figures-although im not sure?

Ted Pellitts said:
if hawthorn get more than 5 wins in 2005 they have overperformed

its as simple as that

every other side in the competition except fremantle and sydney will realistically be expecting to improve next year - yes, even melbourne -they themselves would be expecting improvement

it means its spoon time for the hawks unless another team (i'm thinking the bulldogs) totally fall over in 05

i agree and no offense thats the plan ... the number of times ive heard dermie on SEN saying that fact ... they will basically try and get 10 blokes out of the next 2 drafts ... in this 5 or so top 10 picks ... then in about 3-5 years add these to mitchell, bateman, hodge, croad etc who will all be senior players and this is they think there ticket back to the big time.

especially with the non potent fwd line i cant see them kicking enough goals ...

personally i think they want to groom roughead/franklin for ff/chf next year ... which is tough on a 17 year old imo ...

i can see richmond and adelaide contenders for wooden spoon with them ...

none taken - i'm realistic about where my club is heading in 05

and i can't see adelaide winning the spoon - a 12 game HGA is too many games for them to possibly win the spoon

they would have to have a list equally as bad as fremantle in 2001 - which they don't - to win the spoon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Realistically hoping for 8 wins & watching a new wave of youngsters take the club forward to a strong position in 2006/7. Keeping in mind Melbourne won 5 games in 03.. the return of Crawford whom this time last year was captaining a successful IR side, injury/suspension free Hodge, Hay, Vander's, cont'd improvement from Croad, Bateman, Mitchell, Williams & either one of my fave's JB or Dutchy to finally discover the game again.. u never know! I think confidence & injuries play a huge part in a successful season as was the case with this seasons pies & the struggling cats last year.

mate why would we want 8 wins....no finals....no good picks

you either want 13 or more wins, or 5.5 or less

Ted Pellitts said:

Just interested in why you think neither Sydney or Freo can improve next year?

sydney have too many teams chasing them in terms of ladder position (essendon, west coast, fremantle, kangaroos potentially collingwood and carlton)

and of that group, fremantle with thier jeckyll and hyde performances are the most likley from that lot to come out at the bottom of the scrap, just a cut above adelaide and the bottom 4

Ted Pellitts said:
sydney have too many teams chasing them in terms of ladder position (essendon, west coast, fremantle, kangaroos potentially collingwood and carlton)

and of that group, fremantle with thier jeckyll and hyde performances are the most likley from that lot to come out at the bottom of the scrap, just a cut above adelaide and the bottom 4

Chasing, so what, Sydney are better than all those teams.

Come on freo. I might put some money on them to win the flag next year. I have never put money on freo to win the flag. This may be the Reason we haven't got one yet.

The hawks won't rebound. but look to have a exciting future

Footyboy said:
The answer is no, I can't see the Hawks making much improvement next year, Im afraid to say, its over.

Pity it would be nice to see them dominate the season again, as Hawks are the only Vic side that I can tolerate.
Thanks for your expert opinion Fboy. Now That I have been prepared for the total demise of the Hawks, I can begin looking for another club to support. I'd hate to be left out in the cold in three or four years time. Perhaps I could get a lobotomy and dress myself in black and white. Or maybe I could make friends with a dozen forteeen-year-olds and become an Essendon clone. Or perhaps, since you "see Hawthorn maybe having 3-4 years left in the AFL Competition", I could buy you a dog and a white cane. It seems trolling has left you blind!

Remove this Banner Ad

Can the Hawks recover from the disappointing year????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back