Can we fit Stokes, Byrnes and Christensen in the same team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Realistically the three most vulnerable older players (excluding Mooney from the equation at this stage, we'll see later in the year) are Josh Hunt Wojo and Byrnes (Milburn could be if old man injuries get him but otherwise he's fine). Given the latter will struggle to get back in with Menzel's form, Bundy needs to push one or two of the other out to get a finals spot. Stokes will play finals on his current form and him being out will be unlikely to be even thought of let alone discussed.

CS loves Taylor Hunt, barring a real drop off in form you can lock him Duncan and Menzel in.

I suspect out of the 4 THunt might be under pressure - but may survive because he is a backman.

Taylor Hunt is locked into our best 18.
He often gets overlooked because he's a defender and doesn't have the natural talent of Menzel or Duncan but he's easily been the most consistent of our youngsters.

If you step back, what Taylor Hunt has achieved this year is pretty remarkable.
He's a late draft pick who had few expectations coming in yet he's forced his way into one of the best backlines in the league and not only earned his spot, but also earned the respect of his peers, something very few achieve.

He still has aspects of his game that he needs to work on, most notably finding the right balance between locking down on his opponent and using his speed and foot skills to attack, but that'll come in time.

The number 19 went onto my new 2011 guernsey prior to Round 1 and i wear it with pride most weeks.

People need to STOP suggesting Duncan won't play! He MUST play finals in my opinion. He's a really really talented kid. People may have forgotten the things he's capable of due to Menzels flashiness over the past few weeks, but Duncan has been going along very nicely.

His work in the middle at times has been great, his kicking skills are excellent, and we've seen what he can do 1-out up forward. Is a definite LOCK IN for best 22 for mine.

I'd be curious to see who you have as definate LOCK IN best 21 players because when I did the team I only just put him in the 21st spot.

If you look at the team I listed who would you push out in order to fit Duncan in?

He often gets overlooked because he's a defender and doesn't have the natural talent of Menzel or Duncan but he's easily been the most consistent of our youngsters.

He's a late draft pick who had few expectations coming in yet he's forced his way into one of the best backlines in the league and not only earned his spot, but also earned the respect of his peers, something very few achieve.

He still has aspects of his game that he needs to work on, most notably finding the right balance between locking down on his opponent and using his speed and foot skills to attack, but that'll come in time.

The number 19 went onto my new 2011 guernsey prior to Round 1 and i wear it with pride most weeks.

Agree with that, people need to realise part of the reason why Poodle has got himself in the team despite not having as much natural talent as Dunzel is because he's worked his absolute backside off to improve himself and listen to the coaches, Egan in particular, but all of them. I'd argue of all the youngsters he's the one that plays the most to instructions, which you can see in the fact that he always takes the play on offensively and tackles bloody hard when the ball is in our defense. It doesn't always work but coaches love those sort of players and tend to reward them week in week out. Because of that attitude Taylor is unrecognisable compared to the little runner I saw in 2009 who I honestly didn't think much of. I think it's pretty clear from what the coaches have said, and what his teammates have said, that Taylor isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

To answer DanA, here's how I'd do the best 22:
B: Lonergan Scarlett Enright
HB: Milburn Taylor T Hunt
C: Kelly Duncan Corey
HF: SJ Vardy Chapman
F: Stokes JPod Menzel
R: Ottens Selwood Bartel
Int: Ling [FONT=&quot]Varcoe[/FONT] Mackie JHunt Wojo Byrnes Christensen Hawkins Cowan Brown Motlop

Possible but pretty unlikely: Gillies (structural we won’t play 4 tall backs), Schroder (next year) , Guthrie (the most likely of the first year’s but still most likely next year), Horlin Smith (has talent but needs time), Drum (missed too much footy), Hogan (only because he’s missed so much footy), West (no gig unless neither Vardy or Hawkins are in side), Simpson (no gig unless Otto is injured)

Gone: Blake

Possibly Gone: Mooney (although too early to call yet)

Injured: Smedts

Players in green are locked in, aren't going anywhere no matter what in any year.

Players in orange are not absolute locks but based on their form and structural reasons (and in Ling's case also because he's our key leader) are highly unlikely to go out.

The red are the spots that could be legitimately up for grabs, however on current form you can pretty much lock Stokes and Mackie in for spots no question, and ditto Taylor Hunt because the coaches love him. Milburn's not a lock simply because I'm not sure how his current injury will affect his year, but on pre injury form he's probably in too, albeit as the sub. Vardy's getting close to picked simply because only he Hawkins or West could play the second ruck role and on current form he's way ahead of the other two. Based on current form Duncan and Menzel would be there, which means in my reckoning the guys on the bench are fighting for the remaining spots. With the exception of Brown and Motlop who may be too green with all the footy they've missed, and Cowan who may also fall into the too green category, any of the rest could legitimately stake a claim, but they'll need good form to stay in. Hogan could also push in depending on how quickly he regains fitness. (I haven't included rookies in the list simply because none have been elevated yet).

If I was picking the finals side for this week based on current form my bench would be Ling Varcoe Mackie and Wojo with Josh Hunt and Byrnes unlucky, although this could change, and Bundy could push someone out if his current form trend continues.

T.Hunt should be almost a lock in my eyes. He has added much needed speed to an otherwise pretty one-paced back six. The thing I like about him is that he shows initiative. He is always running to link up when we have the footy and involve himself in the game.

His kicking is now almost elite having been a deficiency in his game when he first arrived a the club. As P_O has said it demonstrates a kid that is prepared to listen, work hard and address his shortcomings. He should only continue to improve based on his attitude and more senior experience.

Agree with that, people need to realise part of the reason why Poodle has got himself in the team despite not having as much natural talent as Dunzel is because he's worked his absolute backside off to improve himself and listen to the coaches, Egan in particular, but all of them. I'd argue of all the youngsters he's the one that plays the most to instructions, which you can see in the fact that he always takes the play on offensively and tackles bloody hard when the ball is in our defense. It doesn't always work but coaches love those sort of players and tend to reward them week in week out. Because of that attitude Taylor is unrecognisable compared to the little runner I saw in 2009 who I honestly didn't think much of. I think it's pretty clear from what the coaches have said, and what his teammates have said, that Taylor isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Wonderful post, PO :thumbsu:

Another underrated feature of Taylor's game is his hardness.
He attacks the contest with a ferocity rarely seen amongst kids of his age and experience.

In time i'm sure everyone will come to appreciate what Taylor Hunt has done and what he brings to the table each week.

Is it possible to merge both Christensen and Stokes into one all powerful being?

Believe me the "Desil Williams" clone has no need for genetic assistance from little Stoksey no matter how good he's going.
Just hope this one doesn't end up at Carlton.:D

Can anyone verify that stokes and christensen have been on the field at the same time. Maybe they are the same guy?

BTW Taylor Hunt will be a 200 plus gamer for this club

I could see Christenson & Stokes in the starting lineup with Byrnes as a sub but not all together starting in a finals side. Too small.

I'm not sure Duncan is a nailed on starter either.

FB: J.Hunt Lonergan Scarlett
HB: Enright Taylor Mackie
C: Kelly Bartel Varcoe
HF: Menzel Vardy Chapman
FF: S.J Podsiadly Stokes
R: Ottens Corey Selwood
Int: Milburn Ling ?

Can't see any of these bar J.Hunt being knocked out of the best 18 abd the last spot + sub is hotly contested. Any one of Wojak, T.Hunt, Christenson, Duncan & Byrnes could get them. At the moment you'd give it to Duncan with one of the others the sub but it's not a forgone conclusion IMO.

Did you say Byrnes too small ?!!??! I thought we recognised the stupidity of such an assertions a few years back??!!

In my opinion if we want a flag this year Byrnes, Stokes and Christensen all need to be out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have not seen enough games this year and have had to rely on the stats, media and posters to keep up.

So perhaps THunt doesn't show up as much as he is not as flashy as the other youngsters ?

From what I have seen both Duncan and Menzel look very good to me for their age and experience. Christensen looks to be be a serious contender for a position in the 22 by season's end. Most certainly so if we have a midfield injury.

Vardy - well who knows with so few AFL games how this season will end up for him - playing against some pretty big bodies for half a season ? Signs are very promising however on what I have seen.

Cowan wont be there, either will Gillies or Motlop. Good to see them get a game and some belief they really could make it.

So for me ExY there are really only 5 contenders in regards to our youngsters to consider and compare. From my limited viewings, the stats and postings it seems to me most agree that Duncan and Menzel are having very good seasons. Not that much said about THunt. JHunt has seemed to me to have been given more positive feedback than his namesake.

Really I would like to know how his forward opponent has played. First rule of a good backman is make sure your opponent doesn't get the ball. So if you could provide that information ExY I would be grateful. Plus how he fits in / works with our other established back 5. I would then be in a better position to assess THunt's season thus far.

The reason Thunt hasn't been noticed by media and posters alike is coz his a backman. He doesn't play forward of centre like the others where they got more noticed for hitting the scoreboard doing the flashy things. As far as I'm concerned he just goes out plays his role for the team. Just have to look at what mackie and Boris spoke of him on gameday and the Sunday footy show 2 weekends ago. They believe his in the 22. Don't know why some posters think he won't be there when finals comes around.

The only Hunt who might go out of the side is Josh, I wondered the other day if he could be the victim of the sub, as Milburn offers more versatility and experience in that role.

Fascinating times, let's hope someone is very unlucky as that means we have got to September in good health.

I thought Christensen, albeit against an awful team, was sensational probably the best performance from a youngster all season or close to atleast i was very surprised to see that he didn't get a rising star nod, personally I don't think Byrnes is in the our best 22 maybe Christensen isn't either but I feel he's closer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we fit Stokes, Byrnes and Christensen in the same team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back