Can we pull big names ?

Remove this Banner Ad

[quote/]Kevin Sheedy:
Well what's going to happen in the next two years is that the Giants have four 17-year-old draft picks and we have to trade them to clubs. So if Hawthorn or any other club want to give us another player they can. The quality of that player has to be top class, so for example, we are prepared to give you a champion young player. But is your club, or any club, prepared to give us a middle-aged champion. This happened when we got Lloyd at Essendon - he was 16 and half and we cleared three players.

Pretty sad when I saw this[/QUOTE]

Sheeds is playing games. The Giants can't keep the 17 year olds, only trade them. If they don't trade they lose the right to them and the 17yo's go into the normal draft. This puts the Giants at a disadvantage compared to a normal trade (think like the Houli and Grigg trades last year). Ultimately they'll take what the other clubs think is worth the offer. It will only get pricey if a number of clubs are jostling for a high 'pick'.

With the FTF reducing debt and adding to our facilities.

Do we have the money to pull big names such as Goddard or Clark ect ect

Griff has not proved any thing and has shown glimpses of a quality player that will add depth...

Griff will never be the next richo and no one will.

I'd like to see Griff play CHB similar to Reid from Collingwood, he's a mountain at 199cm and is quick and with a great LONG kick.

Then we wont be chasing anyone under free agency.

You wont get too many younger than goddard as free agents.

And that will be the value of free agency, if you can correctly judge your window, you can top up ala a Jolly/Ball and pies scenario.

No doubt Magic poor kicking is poor footy and the Hawks blew it last night, but, the Pies found a way to win. And that is a sign of a very good team. Never underestimate the pricks. Their injuries will be a concern to them though. Reid and Jolly are critical to their structure.

Then we wont be chasing anyone under free agency.

You wont get too many younger than goddard as free agents.

When free agency comes in NEXT year then we will have a better idea about what gaps we have in our list still and it won't cost us our draft picks to get them to the club.
To chase someone like Goddard now, who is contracted will give up a decent player plus our draft position this year while we are still developing for a player that may only have 4 seasons left in the game. That is not a smart move for us.

When free agency comes in NEXT year then we will have a better idea about what gaps we have in our list still and it won't cost us our draft picks to get them to the club.
To chase someone like Goddard now, who is contracted will give up a decent player plus our draft position this year while we are still developing for a player that may only have 4 seasons left in the game. That is not a smart move for us.
Agree here. FA means it doesn't cost anything to bring in an older player. If we finish in the 8 then go for it.

If we were to target goddard it would only be under free agency.

Any so called big fish landed will most probably be done under free agency as we will not have to give up players/draft picks like a standard trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Riewoldt, Cotchin, Deledio or Martin. Which one are we giving up to get Goddard, because we don't have anything else that would get a trade done.

Pass

All year l have been telling (Kosma) the Tigers should go after a Goddard (type player) however;

The only way you can get a Goddard (assuming he's not signed) is to trade quality to get quality. Not sure the Tigers will entertain that or;
Push him through to the PSD & nominate say $800 -900K; This will then possibly, let him slip through to us. *This is also based him saying he wants only to get to Tigerland.

Richmond has been saying "we are getting ready for free agency". Surely this is when will will go straight to the very top to get our man (whom we think will be our missing link).
I believe with Richmond making this statement along with "we are going to be aggressive" in the players trade market, its telling the supporters, will will trade, at times maybe be good - quality to get our man.
So hastern your seat belts, Tigers..:thumbsu:

I reckon goddard would b looking to get to carlton,hawthorn,collingwood cannot see why he would want to come to us as it is unlikely we can deliver him premiership success before his carreer is finished.

I reckon goddard would b looking to get to carlton,hawthorn,collingwood cannot see why he would want to come to us as it is unlikely we can deliver him premiership success before his carreer is finished.

Rammbo, spot on!

Goddard going at 25 - 26 will now demand success. *Not sure we would rate Richmond a geniune priemership chance in the next 1 -2 years. As Richmond supporters, we need to be realistic. OUr Priemership window will be starting in 2-3 years time.
****Obviuolsy this can change quickly. You draft 2 -3 qualtiy players it changes.
I ask you guys where does Richmond finish in 2012 if we trade the following;

1. Dangerfield: (to add to our current quality midfield) for say compo pick & Namson, Connors.
2. Maric (would be an upgrade & instant improvement on Graham), pick 3.
3. Zac Clarke: for either Connors, white, Jackson , Morton, plus either compo , or 1st round pick.
4. Thomson for Connors or white & pick 2.
*Many other players not mentioned whom if they had currency would be added such as: McGuane, Thursfield, Gourdis, Browne, etc.

If the above were achieved, Tigers are playing finals next year.
Based on inclusions, natuaral progress of list we are winning 8 - 12 games?

The inclusions of a quality ruck, good back up ruck, strength pace added steele to the midfield (also a noted goal kicking mid).
Thomson slots in def either FB, of HB depending on match up. Rance & Thomson would be able to alternate depending on how they were playing;:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Rammbo, spot on!

Goddard going at 25 - 26 will now demand success. *Not sure we would rate Richmond a geniune priemership chance in the next 1 -2 years. As Richmond supporters, we need to be realistic. OUr Priemership window will be starting in 2-3 years time.
****Obviuolsy this can change quickly. You draft 2 -3 qualtiy players it changes.

1. Dangerfield: (to add to our current quality midfield) for say compo pick & Namson, Connors.
3. Zac Dawson: for either Connors, white, Jackson , Morton, plus either compo , or 1st round pick.
*Many other players not mentioned whom if they had currency would be added such as: McGuane, Thursfield, Gourdis, Browne, etc.

The inclusions of a quality ruck, good back up ruck, strength pace added steele to the midfield (also a noted goal kicking mid).
Thomson slots in def either FB, of HB depending on match up. Rance & Thomson would be able to alternate depending on how they were playing;:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

You were going ok until Dawson for a 1st round draft pick.... I mean come on, take a deep breath and read over that again. Zac Dawson for a 1st round pick... sheesh :eek:

The only way i'd consider Dawson was if it was a player swap. But then again, it is Zac. I think he's a bit of a loser, dunno if i'd be happy to see him come over.

The only way i'd consider Dawson was if it was a player swap. But then again, it is Zac. I think he's a bit of a loser, dunno if i'd be happy to see him come over.

Sometimes you have to look at what the player in question will bring to your club; A Zac Clarke (sorry did l say Dawson)!!!! can & will become a qualtiy, mobile (modern type of ruck that is now imperative) ruckman.
Clarke's value is higher for Richmond that what is will be at say, Carlton;
Boy did l really say, Dawson. I think l need a rest.
Kosma you were right...:confused:

Rammbo, spot on!

3. Zac Clarke: for either Connors, white, Jackson , Morton, plus either compo , or 1st round pick.

Adelaide would not go for this at all. Would get a much better offer from elsewhere. You need to give up something decent for quality like Dangerfield. This year we should continue to look elsewhere for talent, not give up first round picks and depth players (we would need to give a player with currency not the list cloggers you are suggesting) for established quality players.

This year is all about building on last year's progress and filling some gaps without giving up much. Grigg and Houli for Collins was a massive win last year and if we can repeat that performance I will be pleased.

Let's save this "big fish" business till free agency when we're (hopefully) playing finals and have some weight to throw around.

Adelaide would not go for this at all. Would get a much better offer from elsewhere. You need to give up something decent for quality like Dangerfield. This year we should continue to look elsewhere for talent, not give up first round picks and depth players (we would need to give a player with currency not the list cloggers you are suggesting) for established quality players.

This year is all about building on last year's progress and filling some gaps without giving up much. Grigg and Houli for Collins was a massive win last year and if we can repeat that performance I will be pleased.

Let's save this "big fish" business till free agency when we're (hopefully) playing finals and have some weight to throw around.
Maric & Walters IN, Very little goes OUT.

Keep our first couple of picks to draft youth. Ideally keep them all and use player trades.

As exciting as it would be to get a big name across its just too costly IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we pull big names ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back