Can we stop comparing Shaun Atley to Judd.

Remove this Banner Ad

"Lenny Hayes but with speed" would be miles better than Judd. Breakaway pace is the ONLY thing Chris Judd has over Lenny Hayes. If Hayes had that same pace, plus the same tenacity with his head over the ball, and his defensive intensity, he'd be the best midfielder any of us had ever seen.

Poor post.... Why don't we add Hayes' qualities to Judd? All players have flaws.
Judd has a large following for a reason. Best midfielder the game has seen for a long time.

Judd is a lazy, overused comparison of how a player plays anyway - It's as though if any player ever uses pace to run away from a pack with the ball then they're automatically compared to Judd, as though Judd is the first and only player ever capable of doing that.

Yes you have a bias against Judd - poor posting. Put your heart in line and your head into gear.

Exceptional off-topic and disrespectful posting :thumbsu:

I don't have to "get over" that idea at all - There are DOZENS of players who play in any given style in the AFL, and to compare a draftee to one who is VASTLY out of their range in terms of talent is a lazy and ineffective comparison.

As I said earlier, while you could say that in comparing style (disregarding talent) you COULD compare him to Judd, someone like Morabito is a better comparison because not only is he less inside than Judd, which compares better with Atley, but he's somewhat more in the achievable talent range, making the comparison better.

Judd is a lazy, overused comparison of how a player plays anyway - It's as though if any player ever uses pace to run away from a pack with the ball then they're automatically compared to Judd, as though Judd is the first and only player ever capable of doing that.

As for comparing David Swallow to Joel Selwood but with more flair and goalkicking nous... That's barely a comparison at all. That's like me comparing someone to Mark LeCras but if he was a 193cm key defender. You can't just add attributes that are the weakest point of another player's game... Essentially any top midfielder is two major attributes away from being compared to any other.

Well let's be honest, you have no problem with making similar posts do ya? Respect has to be earned :thumbsu: and not off topic at all

People will always compare players to the obvious and best player to compare with, a player may play a very similar style to Judd yet not be as talented.. why is that so hard for you to understand?? you would prefer people to do extensive research to find a player who had EXACTLY the same talent when drafted and plays EXACTLY the same way?? simply not possible...the truth is any player taken in the draft could be the next star of the game

I myself did not make the Swallow comparison, why would you assume that i did??? i said he had been "roundly compared" to Selwood, and he has a lot of similar traits and playing style... with the bonus of more attacking flair...

So you're suggesting that Judd IS the only player who's ever broken away from a pack with pace?
But surely you can see why the Judd comparisons are made with the kids that do it.
Judd made the 'break-away' his own, he's simply the greatest player the AFL has seen to be able to break through and accelerate away from a pack. That is now virtually the 'Judd trait'.

As I said earlier, while you could say that in comparing style (disregarding talent) you COULD compare him to Judd, someone like Morabito is a better comparison because not only is he less inside than Judd, which compares better with Atley, but he's somewhat more in the achievable talent range, making the comparison better.
It's a good call Vincent. The gold standard for inside extractors are Swallow, Caddy and Liberatore. Atley isn't in that same bracket at this stage. I've watched all his Country games and can only recall a couple of occasions Atley winning the ball at a stoppage and accelerating away 'Judd like'. Infact he didn't even do it once against Metro. I would have thought it being a feature of his game I'd see it all the time. Then there's Tom Liberatore who is constantly winning the ball in traffic and feeding it out to teammates, thats my definition of an inside player. So for me Atley being 'Judd like' is not a good comparison. Swallow plays inside and out and thats why he'll be number 1. It's just my opinion but the player Atley reminds me of at the same age is Andrew Walker.

Its not Atley that should be compared to Judd.

Its David Swallow, the kid is the best player to come through maybe ever as a junior footballer????

It would not surprise if Swallow was on equal terms with Ablett and Judd at their best, maybe better....

David Swallow is the best comparison to Judd, not sure where these Selwood and Black comparisons are coming from when his speed is one of his biggest attributes.
Atley will be a great player, but not quite sure where i see the Judd comparison coming from.

If the comparisons are true, I already feel sorry for supporters of the first club who drafts him ;)

I feel for West Coast. GC entered the draft at the absolute wrong time for the eagles. The eagles wouldve not only got arguably the best junior to be picked in the drafts history, but he was from their backyard and also exactly what they needed. A gun midfielder with speed, foot skills and ability to play inside and outside.

i can see the judd comparisons, but that has nothing to do with how good he is. its the way he moves and the way he plays.

its like saying that a tall athletic chf who takes contested marks and gets around the ground is like st nick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judd slid to pick 3, Atley slid to pick 17 in a compromised draft.

The Andrew Walker comparison is a much better one.

Except the fact I've never really viewed Walker as a center square midfielder, nor has he shown any potential to be one.

I think he moves like Judd, doesn't play like him though.

I think someone like Foley, is a more apt comparison.

The comparison is due to Atleys ability to burst away from the contest and his high stepping running style that is reminiscent of Judds running style.

He actually does look like Judd when he breaks from congestion.

I see no problems with a comparison on that basis.

Judd is nowhere near an elite kick. He does have elite pace and inside ability. Atley does have some Judd-like ability in bursting away from packs, but so does Brodie Smith.

The comparison is due to Atleys ability to burst away from the contest and his high stepping running style that is reminiscent of Judds running style.

He actually does look like Judd when he breaks from congestion.

I see no problems with a comparison on that basis.
Except that that's not the basis most people make the comparison.

Judd is the top clearance player in the AFL, while Atley will likely never even lead his team in clearances per game. That's not to say he's not a hell of a prospect, but he's just not a Judd-type. He plays more like a Leigh Montagna-type.

Dane Swan went 58th... must've turned out a complete spud... just because he wasn't a potential number 1 like Judd doesn't mean he doesn't have the potential to reach Judds Level... i hope he does, but realisticallty thats a bit much to ask.... playing style wise they are very similar though and you see some strong glimpes of Judd when watching Atley play..

Very Excited to watch the kid play next year

You see, pretty much all the participants of this thread are from WC, Ess, Carltank. They are somewhat related to the Judd. WC had judd, carltank have judd and ess could've gotten the next judd. But fellas, we ended up getting the next judd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we stop comparing Shaun Atley to Judd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back