Can you see a spot for Sav going forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Refulgent ROO

Debutant
Jan 24, 2004
Moonee Ponds
Other Teams
Kangaroos
If Sav doesnt work at full forward then Sav just doesnt work....he doesnt influence the game from any other position....(l know he has done well in the past in the ruck) but would you have confidence in him anywhere but the square? I think the trouble for Sav is that the team and forward line did well the week we beat Brisbane....he comes back changes the forward structure we looked ordinary (mind you a good oposition).....Sav goes Thommo looks great again....
Thommo is our most athletic and dominant tall.He carved up Mal Michael and Leppa, he gets taken from the square against Melb because Sav comes back comes back and beats the bloke being touted as AA calculations (subjectivly) in Gasper...and again the forward line functions.....I think the trouble for Sav is that he is less capable of kicking goals or even being in the play when the defence has the ball....if he doesnt mark it he is all but out of the play.
i just wish he would lead and crash into blokes like Neitz does not avoid them...That would give him a string in his bow so if he wasnt kicking goals at least there would be a reason to keep him out there. Crashing into blokes wears down the players who run the ball from defence....For mine unless Sav hits a vein of form then he will be resigned to playing for Port Melb....
but l ponder the sight of a oposition backman sprawled on the groung after Sav ran through him...and the chances that creates for the small forwards

Ps: Not proof read so dont bother pointing out any typos......Regards :eek:

Sorry to say but I think Sav is gone.

Not so much that he is no good but because our team is better when Thommo is leading out of the goal square and Sav really can not play anywhere else.

Sav has almost certainly played his last game for the Roos but it would be nice to give him a send off at some point.

Was great for the club though

Refulgent ROO said:
Ps: Not proof read so dont bother pointing out any typos......

In the time it took you to write that you would have corrected all your typos and I might have read your blog. :D

Sav is gone as long as Thommo plays this well at FF. My question is do we need a tall KP CHF? I'd suggest that we do, so who replaces Thommo at CHF?

It looks as if JYD sees Haley as a possible CHF in the mould of a Hille? If that's the case, the big guy has a lot to learn along with his rucking duties. I think JYD will need to try Chad Jones, Shore and McIntosh in KP forward roles this year to see what and who will work best.

Harris 10 said:
Only if Thompson gets injured

Yup.

Sad because Sav has been great for us. Our forward structure of Thommo, Grant, Harding, Motlop worked well. Harding and Motlop were really important. We have been lacking some crumbers and this has allowed the opposition to rebound too often. Harding especially was feriocious at putting pressure on their defence when they had the ball and this made a big difference.

Sav doesn't/can't do this sort of stuff. I can't see their being any room for him in there barring injury now.

The thing I really like about Thommo is thathe always attempts to take the ball at it's highest point, which means the defenders have no chance to affect a spoil. Our lads are still getting used to delivering the ball to him in this fashion but seem to be getting it right most of the time. It's a bit different to passing to a bloke like Sav who wants it on the chest.

Yep - (unfortunately) the end is nigh.

Hopefully he's used properly at Port (& Laidley has a chat to the Borough coaching staff)

If used properly, our fringe players can learn how to properly deliver the pill to a quality spearhead, and straighten them up at Port. Will see the kids being better prepared when promoted to the seniors. Skunk Harvey should be licking his chops at the prospect of living off Sav's crumbs the next couple of months.

Whether he plays another game or not in the seniors, Sav still has a lot to offer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you see a spot for Sav going forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back