News Captain Eejit rides again: Shaw says Malthouse will quit

Remove this Banner Ad

The Magnificent Seven

Bucks Lockdown Beard, The Sherriff, Rrrooocccaaa
Jun 4, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
COLLINGWOOD great Tony Shaw says Mick Malthouse is a ''career coach'' and believes it might be best if he parts ways with the Magpies at the end of the season.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/shaw-expects-malthouse-to-switch-clubs-20110206-1aieu.html

You can probably guess the rest...

Well, with all his accurate predictions for 2010 you can also guess that MM will stay for the next 5 years as well ;)

I think ultimately he says these things because he has no vision, no greater motive and no... uhhhh... brains.

''I think that's something that might not help Collingwood. Their use of the interchange was probably the best in the comp,'' Shaw said.''To have what was a strength, and they identified it beautifully, their strategy was great, now that's one thing that probably won't allow them to have that strength of last year.

''Now you have only got the three [on the bench]. You would be thinking you would lose 25 per cent of rotations. You might only have 100, rather than 130.''

Some one should probably tell Tony this will affect all the other teams too.

I love ya Tony Shaw, but please, please, stop talking about Collingwood unless specifically asked a question, because to put it simply, every single time you comment on us in the media, YOU ARE WRONG.

More tripe from a man who was a great footballer, a shithouse coach and is now one of the worst ex footballers turned journos running around.

Please retire with grace Shawy, please, for your sake and ours.

I think MM will honour his commitment with the Pies.

I do think he'll get lots of offers. I do think he'd be tempted.

But at the end of the day, I think he'll realise that he'll be a Pie legend for life if he stays, and will shit in his nest badly if he leaves.

It's very unlikely he'll get another club up if he goes, it took him 11 yrs at Collingwood.

Should he fail to deliver a Premiership at the other club, his reputation will very likely be tarnished.

Plus, he does have a contract, and rightly Eddie has said he'll sue him ( I'm led to believe) and the other club if he doesn't honour it.

So I also think Tony Shaw will be wrong on this, on the balance of probabilities.

Does Shaw have any insider knowledge at the club? It doesn't seem like it, yet the media take his word like he does. They might as well be interviewing Dermott Brereton because he played at the club for a year.

I would say that tony shaw could find out anything if he wanted. His nephew plays for us, hes a premiership captain and he also coached some of our players. He's got the ultimate inside knowledge

Hmmm, I don't know. I guess he's not really letting any info out of the club apart from old news when he was down there, but nearly everything he says turns out really wrong, even if it is just his opinion. You can kinda see why he never made is as a coach.

I would say that tony shaw could find out anything if he wanted. His nephew plays for us, hes a premiership captain and he also coached some of our players. He's got the ultimate inside knowledge

I think I remember one time when even Heath said (in a manner of words) that he wished that Uncle Tony would shut up, and that he was way off in some of the things he reported.

C'mon, it is the only way Tony can stay relevant.

I love Tony having a go at Mick.

It will only make Mick more determined to go Back to Back.

Most likely Malthouse will stay.I agree i can't see him winning another flag at another club in say a three year period.

He is getting too old,and if he can help us win another flag then really if he wanted to go then que sera sera.
It actually took him 11 years and buckley's help to win the big one finally,he aint going to win a flag if he moved to another club in a short space of time.

If we went back to back then he should be very happy taking on the director of coaching at collingwood and assist Buckley and co to win a few more flags.He will then be remembered as a legend .

Mick Malthouse leaving after this year would defy normal person logic.

Choice 1: Cushy 'nothing' job paying around 1 mill a year for 3 years, while essentially 'retiring' being remembered as one of the great all time coaches of the Club you supported as a child. Spending more time with family, and going on paid world trips for 'coaching training'.

Choice 2: High pressure, high stress job being paid about 1.5 mill a year (maybe less) to start a team and coaching panel from scratch at 60 years old, and potentially achieve nothing at the end of 5 years and be sacked and have your reputation tarnished.

Hmmmm....which to choose which to choose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Malthouse has said publicly he will honour the agreement and in fact he is looking forward to the new role once he has completed his current coaching contract. Understandably he said he will no be concentrating on anything other than coaching the current side until his current contact expires.
So far his single minded focus on his current job at Collingwood has delivered a flag.
I say let him concentrate on this year to the same extent.
Anyone who claims he has other agenda is either hoping to or actively trying to compromise this seasons focus.
I'll leave it up to you to decide why.:)

Mick Malthouse leaving after this year would defy normal person logic.

Choice 1: Cushy 'nothing' job paying around 1 mill a year for 3 years, while essentially 'retiring' being remembered as one of the great all time coaches of the Club you supported as a child. Spending more time with family, and going on paid world trips for 'coaching training'.

Choice 2: High pressure, high stress job being paid about 1.5 mill a year (maybe less) to start a team and coaching panel from scratch at 60 years old, and potentially achieve nothing at the end of 5 years and be sacked and have your reputation tarnished.

Hmmmm....which to choose which to choose.

Some people are driven mate.

Some people like hard work.

And also I dont really get the entire tarnish his reputation talk, he has taken two clubs to the ultimate and regularly had them in finals......it aint as if Barassi is looked as a dud coach because he didn't win premierships at sydney.

Insaying all of that, MM past 2011 is pretty irrelevant to Collingwood 2011, MM is too professional to let his game slip, and even if he did want to continue coaching he would want to leave with back-to-back flags.

No issue. Tony Shaw is a Collingwood legend making is way in the media post football. His take on the MM situation is as likely to be accurate as not. It's an opinion, it makes sense and it could very well be spot on.

I actually thought there was no chance Malthouse would stay on post 2011 and would seek a coaching gig elsewhere. However I've changed my tune a bit on this after his comments post Premiership win.

I'm still not 100% convinced he'll stay on, but I think its more likely than not.

No issue. Tony Shaw is a Collingwood legend making is way in the media post football. His take on the MM situation is as likely to be accurate as not. It's an opinion, it makes sense and it could very well be spot on.
Yep. Tony said at a sportsman's night the other day he thinks Collingwood will win three premierships with this list so I don't think he is too bad with opinions. :)

Personally, I wouldn't begrudge Malthouse leaving, unless it was to Carlton which would be effigy burning-worthy.

We all expected this story to surface this year, but to have it started by a Collingwood person really pisses me off.

What's Tony Shaw's agenda exactly? You can't say you're a Collingwood man and have great love for the club, and start beating up drama and rumour in the media that will harm us.

Carlton will no doubt offer to pay out Malthouse's 3-year contract, plus more, they're that desperate.

In the end it's MM's call.

Some people are driven mate.

Some people like hard work.

And also I dont really get the entire tarnish his reputation talk, he has taken two clubs to the ultimate and regularly had them in finals......it aint as if Barassi is looked as a dud coach because he didn't win premierships at sydney.

Insaying all of that, MM past 2011 is pretty irrelevant to Collingwood 2011, MM is too professional to let his game slip, and even if he did want to continue coaching he would want to leave with back-to-back flags.

As to the tarnish thing, I'd say Sheey's reputation was unfairly tarnished, even if only a little bit, by his last few years at Essendon. Totally Essendon's fault by the way.

As to the tarnish thing, I'd say Sheey's reputation was unfairly tarnished, even if only a little bit, by his last few years at Essendon. Totally Essendon's fault by the way.

People are saying if MM leaves and doesn't achieve the ultimate success with the new club his reputation will be tarnished.....that is bulltish IMO.

Hypothetical - he leaves and goes to Richmond/Carlton and takes em to a flag in 2015......his reputation would no doubt be enhanced!

What he has achieved @ Collingwood will never change.

He's already the oldest coach...I can't see him starting all over again with another team, especially a crap one. He'll want to go out on a high, not on a low.

People are saying if MM leaves and doesn't achieve the ultimate success with the new club his reputation will be tarnished.....that is bulltish IMO.

Hypothetical - he leaves and goes to Richmond/Carlton and takes em to a flag in 2015......his reputation would no doubt be enhanced!

What he has achieved @ Collingwood will never change.

Easy to say that now.

You rarely hear about Denis Pagan being spoken of as one of the great coaches anymore despite the fact that he definitely was.

Carlton just ruining the rep of one of the greats.

If Mick didn't win a flag at Carlton after 5 years, he'd be equally shunned.

Mick would have almost definitely left if he did not win a flag. The relief on his face was palpable, he needed a flag to vindicate his career at Collingwood. If he didn't get one, either last year or this he likely would have felt his career had not been fulfilled.

His comment on how nervous he was prior to the Finals indicates he knew time was running out for him at Collingwood, and he was anxious not to bow out having coached the club for over a decade not having won a flag, quite a long time to be at one club without winning one.

I expect he will go into this season far more relaxed than before, content he's got a Premiership in the bag, and would be much more at ease with the idea of finishing his coaching career this year.

But there's still no doubt in my mind, had he not won the flag last year, and not succeeded this year, that he would definitely be looking to continue coaching.

Easy to say that now.

You rarely hear about Denis Pagan being spoken of as one of the great coaches anymore despite the fact that he definitely was.

Carlton just ruining the rep of one of the greats.

If Mick didn't win a flag at Carlton after 5 years, he'd be equally shunned.

I dont really care either way mate.

I more picking up on your assertion regarding how everybody would take the cushy job if offered it.

If MM stays or goes, nothing will ever change the fact he is a multiple premiership coach and a premiership coach of Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Captain Eejit rides again: Shaw says Malthouse will quit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back