News Captain Eejit rides again: Shaw says Malthouse will quit

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe it's me as a Collingwood fan being selfish but I agree with the sentiments about MM's legacy possibly taking a hit if he coaches elsewhere.

Sure, nothing will ever change the fact that he is one of the all time greats and a legend but I do not want to see this great man be lead down the same path of say Denis Pagan.

IMO, he will honour his contract with Collingwood which will make him one of the longest servants of our club ever.

This story was on the back page of today's west australian. The reason being that Worsfold's contract is up at the end of the year. Although Carlton might be a likely destination, it would be far easier to come back to WA and get the Beagles up and running. Malthouse would probably call it unfinished business....

the likelihood of it happening?....I'd be guessing at 50/50.
The reality is, whether Malthouse stays or leaves, Buckley is still going to be the head coach at the end of this year.

We are going to get plenty of these types of reports all year.

Reporter asks Tony Shaw "What's you opinion on MM and the Bucks transition?" Shaw says what he thinks.

No biggie. Really it has zero affect on us. We already know who's going to coach us next year. The heat will get turned up more on Ratten, Clarkson and Worsfold as it's their jobs on the line among others.

MM want allow any of this talk disrupt the way he coaches us. He knows he's got a job for the next 3 years after this.

We are going to get plenty of these types of reports all year.

Reporter asks Tony Shaw "What's you opinion on MM and the Bucks transition?" Shaw says what he thinks.

No biggie. Really it has zero affect on us. We already know who's going to coach us next year. The heat will get turned up more on Ratten, Clarkson and Worsfold as it's their jobs on the line among others.

MM want allow any of this talk disrupt the way he coaches us. He knows he's got a job for the next 3 years after this.

Well it really doesn't concern us.

We know Nathan Buckley will be our coach in 2012, and are preparing for it. No change will happen to our plans whether MM decides to stay or not.

If anything, it will have more of a distracting impact on the supposed destination clubs MM might consider, like Carlton.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/shaw-expects-malthouse-to-switch-clubs-20110206-1aieu.html

You can probably guess the rest...

Well, with all his accurate predictions for 2010 you can also guess that MM will stay for the next 5 years as well ;)

I think ultimately he says these things because he has no vision, no greater motive and no... uhhhh... brains.

So you start a thread with the title "Captain Eejit rides again: Shaw says Malthouse will quit" and quote an article that shows no where that Shaw said Malthouse WILL QUIT... and then claim he has no brains because... ummm... you said he said something he didn't???

Hows this one... I say... that you said... that Michael Jordan is Australian.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/michael_jordan/index.html

You will note I have quoted an NBA bio of Jordan that doesn't say anywhere that Jordan is Australian... and say you have no brains because you said he is Australian!

Now show me the difference?

Show some damn respect to Tony... He Bled for the Black and White countless times... and can say whatever he damn pleases. But don't say he has no brains because you quote an Age article make up your own words and turn it into something you'd read in People magazine.

I have no problems with Tony Shaw having opinions.

Agreed :thumbsu:

I don't get Tony Shaw as he seems to Support us but Then in the Media he get's stuck into us. Why?

He's a Collingwood supporter and very passionate he's just very outspoken on his views

This story was on the back page of today's west australian. The reason being that Worsfold's contract is up at the end of the year. Although Carlton might be a likely destination, it would be far easier to come back to WA and get the Beagles up and running. Malthouse would probably call it unfinished business....

the likelihood of it happening?....I'd be guessing at 50/50.
The reality is, whether Malthouse stays or leaves, Buckley is still going to be the head coach at the end of this year.
I really doubt Malthouse would go to WA to coach again. One of the things he said he was looking forward to 2012 onwards was that he'd have more time with his family in particular grand kids.

Didn't Malthouse have health complications last year or the year before too? I'd be surprised if he said he wanted to go around coaching again after what he's said, as well as being paid well and looked after at the Pies for the following 3 years+.

I'm also not sure he'd have that burning desire to break his contract and go around again, especially if he goes out with another premiership.

I have no problems with Tony Shaw having opinions.

Exactly, people are very quick to have a go at Tony but most of the time it isn't that bad. He can be a bit of a dial-a-quote journo but most of the time he isn't saying anything that radical. He wouldn't be the only person who thinks Mick will take up coaching elsewhere, I wouldn't be all that surprised.

I don't get Tony Shaw as he seems to Support us but Then in the Media he get's stuck into us. Why?

It's funny but Geelong supporters used to say exactly the same thing about Sam Newman when it is apparent to everyone that he loves the Cats. I never understood why some supporters take any small criticism in a negative way (i'm speaking in general here). I think alot of people show their love of their club by being what they see as brutally honest. This is how Sam is with the Cats and I think how Shaw is with the Pies. I think Shaw at times over corrects in an attempt to appear impartial. I realise it irks some people that a Collingwood person is dragging this subject back into the media but I think it is a reasonable viewpoint - although I disagree with it and believe Malthouse will honour his contract.

I think a point that often gets overlooked in this whole debate is Malthouses health. It wasn't long ago that his health was suffering and there was some uncertainty about whether he would be able to continue with the responsibilities of a head coach. He's been at this caper for a long time, it's a stressful and cut throat industry. I think the change in roles is a natural progression away from head coaching while still remaining in the football industry as he winds down his career. It's the sort of opportunity that not many coaches in the AFL ever get, a dignified way to bow out of head coaching.

...I think Shaw at times over corrects in an attempt to appear impartial. I realise it irks some people that a Collingwood person is dragging this subject back into the media but I think it is a reasonable viewpoint - although I disagree with it and believe Malthouse will honour his contract...

That this was dragged into the media now was nothing to do with Shaw's support of the Club. It was more about him getting some early exposure this year in the media as a "commentator", speaking about something that is based purely in speculation and has in no way been affected by any recent events.

Selfish, opportunistic and egotistical commentary and totally unwarranted at this stage of the season.

Quicky has it spot on. Tony Shaw certainly knows ANYTHING he says re Collingwood will gather some momentum and make the papers, he is certainly inclined to overcorrect to make himself relevant. Other wise he would be accused and criticised of being a Collingwood stooge.

We realy should be careful about knocking icons of the club and im sure none will disagree that Tony is an icon of our club. When you have done what he has for our club, really, you have a leave pass for life...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just 1 more point. Our club needs critics more than any other. We have, at times, been guilty of drinking our own bathwater long after it got stale and consequently failed to win premierships for half a century. Tony Shaw isn't even a critic, he is just honest. I'd back Tony Shaw to bleed for Collingwood even now before anyone on Bigfooty, myself included.

At his age I reckon Mick would be keener taking a backseat. I don't think anything would be motivating him to coach again having been in the caper for 30 years, coaching West Coast to two premierships and Collingwood to one as it stands with a second one in his reckoning. If that eventuates he will become a four-time premiership coach, joining the likes of Leigh Matthews, Ron Barassi, and Tom Hafey. By gosh that's a great career and will end his coaching tenure with another premiership, something that hasn't been achieved before.

Mick Malthouse leaving after this year would defy normal person logic.

Choice 1: Cushy 'nothing' job paying around 1 mill a year for 3 years, while essentially 'retiring' being remembered as one of the great all time coaches of the Club you supported as a child. Spending more time with family, and going on paid world trips for 'coaching training'.

Choice 2: High pressure, high stress job being paid about 1.5 mill a year (maybe less) to start a team and coaching panel from scratch at 60 years old, and potentially achieve nothing at the end of 5 years and be sacked and have your reputation tarnished.

Hmmmm....which to choose which to choose.
choice 3 coach the club back to back , then mentor the coach in waiting, and overseeing buckleys first couple premierships. i think this would elevate him to probally the greatest coach of all time. i choose choice 2 if i were a carlton bloke but luckily im not so i go with no 3

choice 3 coach the club back to back , then mentor the coach in waiting, and overseeing buckleys first couple premierships. i think this would elevate him to probally the greatest coach of all time. i choose choice 2 if i were a carlton bloke but luckily im not so i go with no 3

Your choice 3 is the exact same as choice 1, just put in different words.

So where did Shaw say Malthouse "WILL" quit?

Ya this.

I don't think he said anything that bad or out of line.

"''He said he is going to do it [director of coaching] but things change in 12 months. I don't think people would begrudge him if he was to go somewhere else."

I certainly won't if it turns MM wants to go.

Ya this.

I don't think he said anything that bad or out of line.

"''He said he is going to do it [director of coaching] but things change in 12 months. I don't think people would begrudge him if he was to go somewhere else."

I certainly won't if it turns MM wants to go.

Which, IMO, is cowardly reporting. "But I didn't say he was leaving". Sure, you just implied it and alluded to his treachery without having the balls to back it up.

Like I said, pure self-indulgent media-seeking comments. Doing a 'Caro'.

Mick is always talking about players knowing when to bow out while they are still on top of their game. I'm pretty certain Mick would not want to go out in ignominy.

I understand a coach can go on longer than a player, but as others have stated, he's anchored to Melbourne and his family, and I can't see him wanting to spend 3-5 years in the hope of getting another team a flag. Success at the Pies and West Coast has been aided by having enormous resources at his disposal, and perhaps no two other clubs have such enormous resources to call upon.

I'm pretty sure Mick barracked for the Pies as a kid, so why not retire there and smell the roses with a handy little earner.

Mick is always talking about players knowing when to bow out while they are still on top of their game. I'm pretty certain Mick would not want to go out in ignominy.

I understand a coach can go on longer than a player, but as others have stated, he's anchored to Melbourne and his family, and I can't see him wanting to spend 3-5 years in the hope of getting another team a flag. Success at the Pies and West Coast has been aided by having enormous resources at his disposal, and perhaps no two other clubs have such enormous resources to call upon.

I'm pretty sure Mick barracked for the Pies as a kid, so why not retire there and smell the roses with a handy little earner.

Lets not forget he has a multi million dollar contract to stay and hugely influence the entire coaching department of the club he just coached to 2 flags.

This is just old news rehashed.

Shaw has had this opinion since the deal was struck.

With regards to 'inside' information, I've heard Tony say whenever he does get 'inside' information he never uses it in his media roles.

i can confirm that this is true, Tony's media opinions are just those, he's opinions. inside info he gets "and he's as well rescourced as anyone" stay with him, hence why his personal opinions are so often far from the truth!

Remove this Banner Ad

News Captain Eejit rides again: Shaw says Malthouse will quit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back