Captain: GAME OVER

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, I think Josh will probably be a good captain and this may get the job. But IMO why would the club hold off the naming of the captian at the present moment.

I honestly think that they have not 100% made their mind up and will use the NAB cup to put the contenders through the test.

Apparently Collingwood has convinced Athos Hrysoulakis out of retirement and he will captain the pies this year

I heard Kent Butcher is in the running.

Paul Sharkey is a smokie.

The pies still haven't chosen a captain, expect an announcement in 3/4 weeks (although im sure they've narrowed it down to 3 or 4 blokes.)

Colin Alexander , Andrew Tarpey, Jason Wild, Andrew Tranquilli, Tony Burgess, Mark Orchard, Brent Tuckey are all smokies.

Difficult desicion for the pies considering the quality they have to chose from!

Colin Alexander , Andrew Tarpey, Jason Wild, Andrew Tranquilli, Tony Burgess, Mark Orchard, Brent Tuckey are all smokies.

Difficult desicion for the pies considering the quality they have to chose from!

Actually Burgess was a pretty good player.

Look, I think Josh will probably be a good captain and this may get the job. But IMO why would the club hold off the naming of the captian at the present moment.

I honestly think that they have not 100% made their mind up and will use the NAB cup to put the contenders through the test.

Its most likely definitely Josh Fraser. And they obviously wont be naming a captain until they've returned to Melbourne, its not like they're going to hold a press conference in Dubai, its common sense that they'll wait until they're back here and settled before announcing THE press conference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

given that tom harley captained a flag, it shows that leadership means jack in the modern game, especially if you have a talented list.

the days of don scott, terry daniher, lethal etc. banging into blokes inspiring teammates are over eg. vandenberg. its all about media savvy types and their ability to sell the club. :mad:

good luck to josh, but he's nothing but a pr rep that gets to play on the weekend.

the couragous decison would have been shaw & trav as deputies to burns. but nothings official yet.....

Athos Hrysoulakis - love that dude! I once won a trivia tiebreaker question where we had to pick 3 players that had worn the 37 - I said Paul Williams, Ryan Lonie and the Greek Adonis and on the loot!! I digress, the captain should be someone who has proven they would hurt for the B&W - Josh has skill and commitment but has not earnt my respect as an armchair supporter, whereas Scotty or Tarks or Max would forgoe personal welfare for a single poseesion, Josh still only gives that 90% IMO

Thought you guys might be interested in a telling comment from Eddie on 5aa last night.

His words were 'Scott Burns is back in Melbourne, so Tarkyn will captain the club on Saturday'.

To my ears it sounded very much like Tarkyn was the second choice because Scott wasn't available.

Not really, different guys will be given the captains job during the NAB games.
As MM said "Don't read anything into that"

Why do people bag Fraser for dropping out of the leadership group (which isn't exactly true) when Scott Burns did step down from being vice captain over 5 years ago.

i certainly dont bag him, but i personally would like to see the captain of the club be someone who puts his body on the line and makes that team lifting tackle, or takes a hit just like scotty burns does every week or even maxwell who would run intoa brickwall for the club.

Not saying josh doesnt do this but theres players like max and scotty who do it on a mopre consistent basis and can really get the team lifting when they do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Captain: GAME OVER

Remove this Banner Ad

Back