Scandal Carey back to his old ways

Remove this Banner Ad

Which part of the argument that one is worse than the other implies that one is socially acceptable?
The vast comments about Murphy needing to 'suck it up' and 'no sledge is off limits if it works', 'if she doesn't know about it, it can't hurt her', etc.
These indicate that some believe it's acceptable to sledge a player's wife, even though the hurtful intent is the same.

The vast comments about Murphy needing to 'suck it up' and 'no sledge is off limits if it works', 'if she doesn't know about it, it can't hurt her', etc.
These indicate that some believe it's acceptable to sledge a player's wife, even though the hurtful intent is the same.

So these same people would also find your hypothetical acceptable sledging?

Last edited:
But i do take your point. A photo that shows Carey out on town having a few drinks with her, while of itself not damning, would harm his credibility
I don't think I expressed myself well. I did mean that the fact he went to that level to dispute it means it's probably more likely than not that he's telling the truth. He could have said any number of things, cliches etc to make it look like it was just a rumour, but to flat out say "I've never even spoken to her" when it could easily be disproven if untrue is pretty strong.

But Murphy and his wife also say it isn't true. Do they count as sources or do we just go 'oh yeah but of course they would say that' and dismiss them as unreliable? So a rumour remains 'true' because nobody trusts the motives of those who deny it.

Have I ever said I think its true? Was responding to a poster saying its dead and buried because Carey denied it.

So these same people would also find your hypothetical acceptable sledging?
Whaaaattt???? You've lost me.
Both have the same intent to hurt. Both involve loved family members in crude situations. Both should be considered unacceptable. If you can see how one would be hurtful to Nick and shouldn't be said, but can't see how the other would be hurtful to Murphy and shouldn't be said, then I can't help you.
If you disagree with that, then there's no point going any further.

Geez, These guys clearly didn't play local footy. Some of the sledging i received during my playing days would make these guys curled up in a ball somewhere.
You were an irrelevant ****aller playing in a bush league somewhere, these guys are being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year by their footy clubs, it's a shit representation of a footy club and the league as a whole. Your past experiences with sledging are irrelevant because you never played at the level of these guys. There's more expected of them, they're professionals. Rant over.

Are you implying that Murphy did this?

Agree with the second part of your post though.

I heard that it was people from CFC. But either way its incredibly hypocritical for Barrett to go " Australia, Carlisle said something incredibly hurtful to Murphy and that was ......... "
I don't think I expressed myself well. I did mean that the fact he went to that level to dispute it means it's probably more likely than not that he's telling the truth. He could have said any number of things, cliches etc to make it look like it was just a rumour, but to flat out say "I've never even spoken to her" when it could easily be disproven if untrue is pretty strong.

Thats what sold me on it.

Whaaaattt???? You've lost me.
Both have the same intent to hurt. Both involve loved family members in crude situations. Both should be considered unacceptable. If you can see how one would be hurtful to Nick and shouldn't be said, but can't see how the other would be hurtful to Murphy and shouldn't be said, then I can't help you.
If you disagree with that, then there's no point going any further.

That's my point. No-one has said anything to Nick because it is a lower act. That's why you can only make a hypothetical of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You were an irrelevant ****aller playing in a bush league somewhere, these guys are being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year by their footy clubs, it's a shit representation of a footy club and the league as a whole. Your past experiences with sledging are irrelevant because you never played at the level of these guys. There's more expected of them, they're professionals. Rant over.
You think Carlisle's sledge was totally out of the ordinary with what's said?

No doubt there is sledging every week. But I highly doubt it crosses the line.

The line can vary depending on the person that you're sledging, other players may have just laughed off the Saints players sledging or returned serve.

The only reason this is being highlighted is because Murphy reacted the way he did by having a go at Carlisle lying on the ground and a brawl erupted.

It's like dangerous tackles only being highlighted because a player ends up concussed or injured, it's the outcome that is the difference and not the action.

You think Carlisle's sledge was totally out of the ordinary with what's said?
I'm saying there's no place for it in footy. Sledging is fine sure but there's a line, don't make it a personal thing. Have a go at Murph about his footy etc, but bringing up a family member is wrong. I don't care how many times it used to happen it's just plain wrong imo.

I'm saying there's no place for it in footy. Sledging is fine sure but there's a line, don't make it a personal thing. Have a go at Murph about his footy etc, but bringing up a family member is wrong. I don't care how many times it used to happen it's just plain wrong imo.
I agree with that.

Do you think Murphy kicking it off with drugs sledging/doing it when he was down hurt (it did look like a serious injury at the time) is also crossing the line?

I agree with that.

Do you think Murphy kicking it off with drugs sledging/doing it when he was down hurt (it did look like a serious injury at the time) is also crossing the line?

Most shark bite victims are scuba divers bitten by Wobbygong sharks. They are mostly harmless, but it seems if you grab their tail and pull it, they are likely to turn around and bight. If you don't want to get bitten its easy, just don't annoy them.

I agree with that.

In my opinion yes. Unfortunately others won't agree with me and will want the players reminded every game that they cheated

Most shark bite victims are scuba divers bitten by Wobbygong sharks. They are mostly harmless, but it seems if you grab their tail and pull it, they are likely to turn around and bight. If you don't want to get bitten its easy, just don't annoy them.
They are getting around calling Carlisle the wobbygong down at Seaford

I agree with that.

If Murphy did kick it off with drug comments, I don't agree with that. I haven't seen anything mentioned about that by anyone other than Saints supporters though, and they also claimed that he spat on him to start with too. Happy to be corrected if somebody has a better source, or it's mentioned in media somewhere.
But that doesn't mean that you have to stoop to the same level, or lower. Let Murphy look like the idiot if he's the only one doing it.
I haven't seen any reports about what Murphy said to Carlisle when he was down, but it couldn't have been much with how quickly he went past. I don't have a problem with giving a player a bit of a rev up while they're on the ground. I don't like physically targeting players injuries (not referring to a specific past incident, just in general) and I would hope that the verbal wasn't in regards to the injury (ie: 'how does your teste taste', 'hope you lose a ball', hope you're out for 4 weeks', etc). But a bit of 'we just kicked another goal you flog' or something along those lines is fine. I like when players get into each other if they miss a goal, or if a defender is being a dick and the other guy kicks a goal, or if somebody spuds it up. Get stuck into them for their abilities and errors, or how you're dominating them. Leave the personal stuff out, including drugs (although if you're stupid enough to post videos while using, you leave yourself pretty open).

The melee? Who cares? A bit of push and shove and jumper grabbing. It's good to see a bit of emotion and fire. If the Saints players took offence to Murph saying something to Carlisle while he's down, that's fine too. Nothing wrong with sticking up for a fallen player, but after the game Murphy was clearly furious about the comments and didn't want to shake hands. I don't have a problem with that either. If a player does that on a regular basis, or because of something little, they will end up looking stupid, but if the rumoured comments are true, then I think he was within his rights to refuse to shake.
Doesn't mean we should accept that kind of talk on a footy field. It should be frowned upon and actively stamped out.

Firstly, it's not sledging his wife, it's sledging him

Secondly, hurtful intent isn't some banner which makes all sledges the same

You think everyone is blind but you

Pull your head out of your ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Scandal Carey back to his old ways

Remove this Banner Ad

Back