Careys wants to be a Crow

Remove this Banner Ad

DMcD

Senior List
May 20, 2001
North East from Here
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Front page of Hun. Carey has chosen the crows, now what do we want guys.

Kane Johnson wouldn't go astray. He can't be too bad if Malthouse wants him.

Who else ?

Money ?

Draft Picks ?

Hindley St Pickled Octopus and Pie Floaters maybe ?

certainly sounds like it will be the crows.

anyway, i'm pretty happy that we will be dealing with the crows and not collingwood or hawthorn... neither of whom, do we have a good record in trading with. we have traded with the crows before with both sides acheiving reasonable returns.

i'm not really sure who would be best for us to get. most people seem to think here seem to think that johnston is the goods. however, he does seem prone to injury (soft tissue stuff, not joints). would it be unreasonable to suggest trading for their best recent recruits instead? anyway it will be intersting to see how it pans out. i have a feeling that both sides will get something out of it.

adelaides first draft pick will be no.14 , so thats nothing to get excited about, so we will prob have to look at a player

not sure why kane johnson's name comes up all the time , being asked this question after the match on sunday , he said the only reason why his name comes up all the time is because he is from melbourne.

Craig Hutchinson on the radio yesterday said that Carey would pick the Crows, and that they were willing to give up either Johnson or a first round draft pick for him.

He also said that he saw Carey on two occasions during his so-called binge and that he didn't seem intoxicated either time. Tse big question is how sober was Hutchinson when he saw Carey to make that judgement. :D

Moomba

Who do we want

I say a straight swap for McLeod and Ricciuto! Or now that they have actually got a few of our ex-players playing well, why don't we get Stevens, Welsh and Bienke back!

It's been reported that the Roos think Adelaide will be willing to give the better deal and would be "happy" to trade with them. I think Johnson's name comes up because he's a Victorian and out of contract this year. He'd be handy but we may take the first round draft pick plus a lesser known young player who suits our needs but I don't know who.

Originally posted by theox
adelaides first draft pick will be no.14 , so thats nothing to get excited about, so we will prob have to look at a player

Adelaides first pick could be no.14 but will have to wait after the finals series as the picks are given in the way you finished the year off in the finals so for example if Brisbane finished in top spot and where knocked out of the finals in straight sets (only making it to week 2) well then they would have a pick 13 considering Carlton have the first 2 picks and they were the highest rank team to lose in week 2 of the finals.

I hope that makes sense.:)

But from the looks of things it will be pick 12 - 17.

Originally posted by Groucho
It's been reported that the Roos think Adelaide will be willing to give the better deal and would be "happy" to trade with them. I think Johnson's name comes up because he's a Victorian and out of contract this year. He'd be handy but we may take the first round draft pick plus a lesser known young player who suits our needs but I don't know who.

Stenglein is good.

Johnson is obvious quality, but I suppose the question is, could we be better served by a few younger blokes who Pagan has seen some positives in?

Bode and Ladhams look likely, but I really doubt they would offload them so early in their careers.

Originally posted by NorthBhoy

Stenglein is good.

Johnson is obvious quality, but I suppose the question is, could we be better served by a few younger blokes who Pagan has seen some positives in?

Bode and Ladhams look likely, but I really doubt they would offload them so early in their careers.

They haven't got any key position players to trade so a young,skillful onballer with a bit of pace would be handy. You're right they'll hang on to Bode and Ladhams but Stenglein is a possibilty and I thought Crowell looked ok yesterday. This may,of course be a 3 or 4 club trade and we may finish up getting someone from another club and a lower draft pick out of it. 6 or 7 would be good to go along with our pick 17;) !

They haven't got any key position players to trade so a young,skillful onballer with a bit of pace would be handy. You're right they'll hang on to Bode and Ladhams but Stenglein is a possibilty and I thought Crowell looked ok yesterday. This may,of course be a 3 or 4 club trade and we may finish up getting someone from another club and a lower draft pick out of it. 6 or 7 would be good to go along with our pick 17;) !

I reckon I have watched 3 full games that haven't involved North this year, so I am not the best person to judge opposing players. I am fairly sure Crowell is 23-4yo, and has not set the world on fre recently, but he did look ok yesterday.

Originally posted by NorthBhoy

I reckon I have watched 3 full games that haven't involved North this year, so I am not the best person to judge opposing players. I am fairly sure Crowell is 23-4yo, and has not set the world on fre recently, but he did look ok yesterday.

Oh yes mentioning him was purely based on what I saw yesterday. In fact I think he's been in and out of the side this year and if he's around 24 then there's not much room for improvement but he's probably the type of player we'd get if we want a first rounder as well. Stenglein is probably around the same age but is a more accomplished player and very versatile, as I recall, can play onball,defence and take a turn up forward in other words a ready made player who could slot right in so I would go for him and a first round pick if there was a choice.

Oh yes mentioning him was purely based on what I saw yesterday. In fact I think he's been in and out of the side this year and if he's around 24 then there's not much room for improvement but he's probably the type of player we'd get if we want a first rounder as well. Stenglein is probably around the same age but is a more accomplished player and very versatile, as I recall, can play onball,defence and take a turn up forward in other words a ready made player who could slot right in so I would go for him and a first round pick if there was a choice.

My attraction to snaring johnson is his polish. He kicks the thing better than anyone on our list. He is far from soft, has good endurance, and simply finds the footy alot.

I'd be keen as mustard on Johnson. Got height, pace and beautifull skills either side. Would add a dimension to our midfield that we dont have. A pick on top would be a bonus. I'm tipping it probably will onvolve a few clubs to get the best fit, as we might stick our heals in and demand a top round pick like we said, but gee Johnson would be nice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnson

I would be happy with a straight swap at this stage and so would Adelaide.

We need the tall quality Midfielder. (he was bloody good against Richmond on the weekend - BoG)

They miss the marking forward

Kane will never be as good as Wayne but we could get almost 10 years out of Kane, Crows will only get 1-3 out of Carey (but could win them a premiership in those 1-3 years)

Originally posted by Ausgard
JohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnsonJohnson

I would be happy with a straight swap at this stage and so would Adelaide.

We need the tall quality Midfielder. (he was bloody good against Richmond on the weekend - BoG)

They miss the marking forward

Kane will never be as good as Wayne but we could get almost 10 years out of Kane, Crows will only get 1-3 out of Carey (but could win them a premiership in those 1-3 years)

I really hope he goes to the crows.

They want him the most, and seem quite reasonable in terms of what they will give up for him. I get the feeling Johnson, wile being repected and well liked over there, is seen as slightly expendeble from a midfield that is the best in the comp.

I want him, and I think North will jump at it.

I want it to be a 3 way deal that involves the Crows, Hawks, and us. Therefore i would like to see Carey to the Crows (who IMO need a key forward to be complete), KJohnson to the Hawks (an out of contract victorian to go to a side that needs another midfielder to support Crawf), and the Hawks to give us Nathan Lonie :D. A tall, running half-back that kicks long like him would be useful in our side.

nathan lonie???
i haven't seen that much of hawthorn but do you really want him? he did nothing on friday to suggest he will be of any use to us. some of his kicking was appalling. surely baird in a similar role would be a far better option. either of the motlops could do that role right now as could lang. even crowe or pratt could give it crack in the near future.

I think many of the roo fans here have gone soft regarding to what we should get for Carey. BF posters from other club have gradually make us think that Wayne is not worth of a first round pick, and if we get Kane Johnson, that will be a good win for us.

I say we should at least get the 1st round pick+K. Johnson or if we don't get any players, a top 5 pick in the draft.

nathan lonie???
i haven't seen that much of hawthorn but do you really want him? he did nothing on friday to suggest he will be of any use to us. some of his kicking was appalling. surely baird in a similar role would be a far better option. either of the motlops could do that role right now as could lang. even crowe or pratt could give it crack in the near future.

Yes i do want him. I see Baird as a long-term chb, and a short-term 3rd mobile tall. At about 188cms, NLonie is more of a tall midfield type which Baird is not. His twin brother Ryan is going well at the Pies despite injury, and i see him making a similar impact here.

IMO i see SMotlop as a defender that takes a sm fwd, or as a wingman. Jnr more of a med fwd, and Crowe as the long-term fullback. Not sure about Pratt, haven't heard much of a mention of him in mks reports, but i thought he was a midfield/wingman of the Simmo mould.

Overall, i personally would be happy with Nathan Lonie from the Hawks and a draft pick from the Crows. :) But we just gotta see who Wayne selects as his club of choice first.

Originally posted by Rooboy 96

could not agree more... but expect me to get involved in the whole discussion in an hour or three... just cant help myself...

Absolutely right, I'm sure we'll all have a dip when the announcement is made! ;)

I'm just waiting for the backpedalling from all the clubs that dipped out!

"Oh, we never really wanted him he's:

too old, too expensive, we listen to our supporters, blah, blah, blah!!!"

Cheers

Gonzo

Nathan Lonie is a coward.

Don't worry mate, we can toughen him up by showing him wot being a Shinboner is all about. He will be training alongside the likes of Archer, Pickett, maybe Mick (if not being coached by him), Stevo and co.

Originally posted by myee8

Don't worry mate, we can toughen him up by showing him wot being a Shinboner is all about. He will be training alongside the likes of Archer, Pickett, maybe Mick (if not being coached by him), Stevo and co.

Ah - so you don't expect him to survive training ?

:D

the whole Carey thing will not go away until the trading session starts anyway and the trade is done. Early October ?

No point burying our head in the sand and its pretty difficult to ignore.

BUT

we have finals to worry about now so I don' mind having the passing interest about it but the REAL stuff is just starting

Remove this Banner Ad

Careys wants to be a Crow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back