Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Port are trying this through the media though. They are trying to damage our reputation in order to get us to come to the party. Perception is reality and all that.
Can’t imagine that the people whose opinions count in this space (player agents, players, list managers etc) would be easily tricked by Port’s cheap media tactics.

Port are trying this through the media though. They are trying to damage our reputation in order to get us to come to the party. Perception is reality and all that.
I think this is true. Especially if "furious" is the word being used to describe Port's response to this. "Furious" is a word usually used when there is a sense of loss of control. Using the media may be an attempt at gaining a little control back.

Regardless of who rumours refer to... is Shiel gettable on the cheap? Tail end of his contract, possibly on an extra year option, and in and out of the team this year.

If he's a top earner, would they offload him given their glut of elite runners and need to get stronger over the ball?

Regardless of who rumours refer to... is Shiel gettable on the cheap? Tail end of his contract, possibly on an extra year option, and in and out of the team this year.

If he's a top earner, would they offload him given their glut of elite runners?
He had his chance with us and chose *🤮
He is their problem now

He is their problem now
If we absorbed that final year and turned it into a more digestible 2-3 year contract that perhaps Essendon aren't comfortable with, would that be a bad thing?

He's exactly the kind of mid/fwd connection we need.

If we absorbed that final year and turned it into a more digestible 2-3 year contract that perhaps Essendon aren't comfortable with, would that be a bad thing?

The kind that can't hit targets?

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jeez Jim your taking a couple leaps of faith here- Membrey & Shiel are good ideas but Parker is a spent force 🤔

If we traded for Dylan Shiel I'd vomit and start to think the club is actually clueless

(Log in to remove this ad.)

🔓

There will be as many as 4 key trade recruits for the Blues if the latest serious talk is on the money

💰
Alright nerds, get to deciphering this one

HTF do Gold Coast keep filling this endless well of High draft picks ??

They have 6, 12, 20, 26, 38, 46, 74. Sure they've traded the odd player, but 3 in the first round, 2 in the 2nd and one in the 3rd?

+ Lukosius ?

...FFFS

They have a smorgasbord of Academy players coming through all of the time. Last year they had 4 in the top 20 and they paid for them all with later picks.

They traded #4 out last year so they didn't have to use it on an academy pick. #4, #46, #51 and F3 and from the Dogs got back #10, #17 and the Dogs F1 which is where they got #12 from this year.

Seriously, look at last year's trade period. There is about 8 Gold Coast trades involving mostly picks with the odd fringe player leaving. They are continually just pushing it all forward because they end up getting quality academy players for the cost of players they no longer want.

They have a smorgasbord of Academy players coming through all of the time. Last year they had 4 in the top 20 and they paid for them all with later picks.

They traded #4 out last year so they didn't have to use it on an academy pick. #4, #46, #51 and F3 and from the Dogs got back #10, #17 and the Dogs F1 which is where they got #12 from this year.

Seriously, look at last year's trade period. There is about 8 Gold Coast trades involving mostly picks with the odd fringe player leaving. They are continually just pushing it all forward because they end up getting quality academy players for the cost of players they no longer want.
What a rort

What a rort

I don't agree with Eddie McGuire on very much and I understand the value and intention of the academy system but eventually the AFL will end up with a system where it'll only be mismanagement that prohibits both Queensland sides from being perpetual top 8 teams and maybe even eventually have top 4 on lock. This is only the beginning.

The AFL has done a fantastic job of infiltrating the education system here. Each of the last 3 years the Brisbane Lions have had their Auskick program through the kid's old school (we moved last September but still have friends in the school) for 6-8 weeks. They hold it after school. With a school of 850 kids there were about 100 boys and 50 girls that signed up (I was on the P&C and this is the number the school itself was able to give us). My cousin who plays for the Suns says it's similar with the Suns.

As much as they're teaching the kids the fundamental skills of Aussie Rules they're also using it as a pipeline to get kids involved in the AFL system.

This is something that the NRL has never done, probably because they don't think they need to do it to get numbers but the AFL have gone about it much more professionally than the NRL has.

One of our best friends' kids has been involved in both junior AFL and rugby league on the weekends. They feel that the tide has turned and the AFL programs get more people to them. It might be a stereotype but the feeling is that rugby league has become the realm of the massive islander kids and more and more parents are turning away from it.

Parker is a spent force 🤔

Agree. North are going after Parker purely for the Hodge role. Parker's only going there to begin his coaching pathway under the learning tree of Clarko.

Makess sense on both counts.

Good post, Wickzki.

I’ve got three kids aged between 9 and 14. The road to the AFL is paved with gold for any of them up here in Brisbane. The 14 year old just has no competitive instinct, or the Brisbane recruiters would be all over him. But they’ve already been over a few of his mates.

My 9 year old has already been spoken to by a group of AFLW players. She got a free guernsey signed by them. She kicked three goals the first quarter of a game, and three of the AFLW players came on to the field to tell her what a great job she was doing.

I know another family’s kid who is 14 (just a couple of months younger than my son). He’s a CHF / CHB. He turns games around. Beautiful kick of the ball, solid hands. The world is his oyster. He’s already in the Lions’ development 22 for his age. On the preliminary final weekend, he was up at Maroochydore with the rest of his squad for a training camp.

Brisbane is doing exactly what you would expect. They’re cultivating a production line. Junior numbers are booming (I believe bigger than NRL). My 9 year old just went to an AFL coaching day during school holidays. The number of kids from her school participating was staggering.

I actually think they will get to the point where they can’t possibly take all the draftees they have coming through, and a few good ones will end up down south.

But the overall system is going to need to be looked at. It’s doing its job of winning over south east Queensland, but eventually it is going to make the Lions and the Suns too good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back