Club Focus Carlton 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton are in an interesting spot this year

Looks like they have fallen in a hole again and will be lucky to make finals

Is it time to trade some players that have currency and hit the draft before Tasmania comes into the league

What is Walsh, Weitering, De Koning, worth in draft picks

Walsh especially looks to be a shadow of his former self due to his back injuries, could he net a top 5 draft pick in this years draft?

Is it time to trade some players that have currency and hit the draft before Tasmania comes into the league

Walsh especially looks to be a shadow of his former self due to his back injuries, could he net a top 5 draft pick in thi-2s years draft?
I doubt Carlton do that.
Their season is being impacted by injuries, but still would believe they could win a premiership with a Cripps, Weitering, Walsh ,Curnow, McKay , De Koning as the key players/ spine. I think those players average age is 27 or so, so would hope for another 4 years in premiership contention.

Id like to throw a name up here that is making more and more sense as the season goes on.

Steven May.

There is not a reason why Carlton shouldnt be in to him, and if Melbourne are adamant they are keeping Oliver and Petracca then they need to look towards the future somewhere.

Walsh especially looks to be a shadow of his former self due to his back injuries, could he net a top 5 draft pick in this years draft?
When most of your best 22 is injured, it's pretty obvious you'll struggle...

Seems they need a new fitness boss more than anything else.

Suggesting they trade their A graders to rebuild, when they were in 2nd place just 6 weeks ago, is peak level nuff, even for Bigfooty.

Should be an interesting off-season.

I worry that the list managers will chalk the failure this year up to the injury list and ignore the weaknesses we have. Hopefully we’ll see some changes in the high performance department, the coaching panel and (the topic of this thread) the playing list.

Starting point should be moving on the injury prone guys we’ve been carrying for years. I would also trade Owies and one of Hewett/Kennedy/Cerra to the highest bidders. After that, we know that the Campo twins and Matt Duffy will be added to the list.

The real work is to find a legitimate key defender to partner Weitering and some flankers with speed that can kick and tackle. I wonder whether we’ll look to do that through the draft or trade or a bit of both. Sounds like we’re into Nick Haynes which I’m happy about. Hope we throw our hat into the ring for Barrass but I doubt we would want to move out a first rounder.

When most of your best 22 is injured, it's pretty obvious you'll struggle...

Seems they need a new fitness boss more than anything else.

Suggesting they trade their A graders to rebuild, when they were in 2nd place just 6 weeks ago, is peak level nuff, even for Bigfooty.

...are you at all familiar with blaisee's work?

Id like to throw a name up here that is making more and more sense as the season goes on.

Steven May.

There is not a reason why Carlton shouldnt be in to him, and if Melbourne are adamant they are keeping Oliver and Petracca then they need to look towards the future somewhere.

Very good suggestion and one I've considered for much of this season. There's definitely a need for another key back to support Weitering and May might be gettable for the right price.

I'd be very happy to give up a good pick for him regardless of his age. He'd be a perfect fit.

Should be an interesting off-season.

I worry that the list managers will chalk the failure this year up to the injury list and ignore the weaknesses we have. Hopefully we’ll see some changes in the high performance department, the coaching panel and (the topic of this thread) the playing list.

I don't think they'll ignore it, but I do think they'll contextualise it.

The weaknesses are there but there's no doubt the injuries are a massive factor. It's pointless to suggest otherwise.

I'll be stunned if we consider trading Cerra/Kennedy/Hewett. I don't necessarily disagree that it could be beneficial to move one of them on (Kennedy coming good has been a double edged sword), but I can't see them doing it.

Owies would be lucky to get pick 40 for him. Carlton need a small forward- Liam Ryan perhaps? What would they be willing to offer for that though? And would Liam be willing to relocate?

Not sure on the angst

I was directed to come here and post

Carlton are not winning the flag, they won't even make the eight, so trading their players with currency before tassie comes in makes about as much sense as it does for Richmond
You were directed to come here and post that a club that was in 2nd before injuries hit should sell off all their good players and start again, despite their best players being in their prime and not even remotely close to retiring?

Just throw them all away because they've gotten smashed by injuries in the past 6 weeks and just start all over?

Do you realise how incredibly stupid this comes across?

"Oh no, we missed a finals series we expected to make because a heap of players got soft tissue injuries, time for a fire sale!!!"

Maybe just get a new fitness boss and keep the players on the park, eh?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Owies would be lucky to get pick 40 for him. Carlton need a small forward- Liam Ryan perhaps? What would they be willing to offer for that though? And would Liam be willing to relocate?

It was surprising to me that they didn't go hard at Stengle as a free agent. When it came down to Saints v Geelong, he was always staying, would have been nervous if Carlton had put a serious offer down.

Why haven't Carlton offered him a contract?
His numbers look pretty good from what I can see.

You can try to trade for Collingwood's future first. I here they are chasing a few players, and I can only see it getting better.
I assume that the club and his agent would be pretty far apart on their valuations. Probably best to wait it out and see what offers he receives on the market before we put in an offer.

Why haven't Carlton offered him a contract?
His numbers look pretty good from what I can see.

You can try to trade for Collingwood's future first. I here they are chasing a few players, and I can only see it getting better.

Collingwood surely wouldn’t be stupid enough to trade away their future first round pick for a short, 26 year old, forward who’s not very fas… ah never mind.

Why isn't Matt Owies rated by Cartlon?

It is not like they have a lot of other small forwards pushing him out of the side.
Owies peak is basically Michael Walters 2024 form. Can kick a goal from a set shot or a free but pretty much provides nothing else.

Given the rest can't even do that if we can trade Owies for a pick around pick 30-35 while he's "in hot demand" from a team interested in his services I think we do it.

Our biggest issue is we have treacle paced battering rams all over the ground, who are generally all pretty good players, but in the positions you expect to get some zip and dare we have guys like Owies and Motlop who really are just smart footballers but don't really provide any sort of spark or xfactor like a Bobby Hill or Tyson Stengle etc.

Owies peak is basically Michael Walters 2024 form. Can kick a goal from a set shot or a free but pretty much provides nothing else.

Given the rest can't even do that if we can trade Owies for a pick around pick 30-35 while he's "in hot demand" from a team interested in his services I think we do it.

Our biggest issue is we have treacle paced battering rams all over the ground, who are generally all pretty good players, but in the positions you expect to get some zip and dare we have guys like Owies and Motlop who really are just smart footballers but don't really provide any sort of spark or xfactor like a Bobby Hill or Tyson Stengle etc.

Makes sense. Similar issues we have, need more speed and class all over the field.

Thanks for info

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Carlton 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back