Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Kako and Travaglia sound nice prospects for our list deficiencies.
Surely we’ll try hard to get ahead of Ben Campo bid

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m keen on kako. Plays very up tempo and only needs half a chance to kick a goal. He’s risen up draft boards and could be an option before Ben.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The Camporeale boys look good. Voss is going to really like Ben IMO. He's a really big strong bodied midfielder who can really run and tackles well. He's going to be a really big strong mid. He seems to have clean hands which is a must for an inspiring onball player. Reminds me of Bontempelli with his body shape and the way he can move like that and handle the ball under pressure. Very physically advanced. Reckon the coach is going to love him. Definitely a maybe for AFL games next season. I actually think he's going to be a very special player. Guys this big and strong who have really clean hands and move like this, he's quick and has really good lateral movements, they aren't that common. He ticks a lot of boxes as a potential gun AFL mid.

Ben is going to suite our list. He's going to allow us to let some mids go. He's going to be putting pressure on the bottom end of our onball group. He's going to be peaking when Cripps and Kennedy are waning. I see him becoming one of our prime ball winners in there when this is happening.

Lucas looks more like Scott. A fair bit bigger but moves in a similar fashion. Looks like a winger or half back. Think he needs a bit of development. His kicking isn't that great. His poise, footy IQ and ball handling seem to be fine.

5 years time, our prime movers in the middle could be Walsh, Hollands, Camporeale and possibly Wilson.

I think both players in an AFL environment will flourish.

Last edited:
There's more to it than whether players have played senior games or not. I also don't know how you can confidently declare players yet to play AFL football 'not busts'.

I question the logic of drafting for the 'now' when most of them are 18 year olds who won't be playing their best football for quite a few years. That seems to have been the logic with almost every pick.

As I said, we've done well with trades but I don't think our drafting tactics are sustainable long term.
Out and out rubbish. Austin traded out first rounders for Saad and Cerra. Could easily have drafted a young kid instead for 3 or 4 years in the future. Our list is in fine shape both for the now and for the foreseeable future.

Sorry to butt in but, this year's U16's carnival (of which Cody has been playing in) will be the last to see its combatants be taken in a national draft the Tassie Devils won't be part of.

FWIW, the year Tassie makes its AFLM debut, (2028) that year will see Lucas Koutoufides eligible and, the following year, (2029) will see Arli Walker eligible.

Sorry to butt in but, this year's U16's carnival (of which Cody has been playing in) will be the last to see its combatants be taken in a national draft the Tassie Devils won't be part of.

FWIW, the year Tassie makes its AFLM debut, (2028) that year will see Lucas Koutoufides eligible and, the following year, (2029) will see Arli Walker eligible.

He plays Basketball. That’s his sport.

He plays Basketball. That’s his sport.
Hopefully Anthony and Jamie point at history and set expectations higher. If he doesn't meet them, he can wander over to footy where his likely athleticism is more suited before he stacks on the wrong kind of muscle.

That being said, he's clearly playing YJFL this year and going over 2 goals a game, albeit the league is still mixed at that grading.

Hopefully Anthony and Jamie point at history and set expectations higher. If he doesn't meet them, he can wander over to footy where his likely athleticism is more suited before he stacks on the wrong kind of muscle.

That being said, he's clearly playing YJFL this year and going over 2 goals a game, albeit the league is still mixed at that grading.

I hope he does well at Aussie Rules, but can’t blame him if his passion is elsewhere. But I guess we will see in the coming years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out and out rubbish. Austin traded out first rounders for Saad and Cerra. Could easily have drafted a young kid instead for 3 or 4 years in the future. Our list is in fine shape both for the now and for the foreseeable future.
You may think it's rubbish, I don't. The fact that you chose to use the word 'foreseeable' is telling.

We should have got more out of the draft in the last four years, plain and simple, the Saad and Cera trades notwithstanding. If that meant taking an extra kid here or there or even trading out a player with a bit more currency, then so be it. It's not the end of the world in the short to medium term but it isn't ideal.

You may think it's rubbish, I don't. The fact that you chose to use the word 'foreseeable' is telling.

We should have got more out of the draft in the last four years, plain and simple, the Saad and Cera trades notwithstanding. If that meant taking an extra kid here or there or even trading out a player with a bit more currency, then so be it. It's not the end of the world in the short to medium term but it isn't ideal.
And is totally irrelevant to the thread title.
Let’s get back on track perhaps?

How do you know Austin has not tried to do more, pretty sure we were super keen on Harry Sheezel in his draft year and were willing to part with a future pick on top of our 1st rounder that year.
He also traded picks to gain Cowan, reality is not many clubs part with early picks, not sure why we keep going on about this, overall he has done a solid job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back