Carlton and Gold Coast - who finishes higher in 2023?

Who finishes higher in 2023?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Might sound like a weird answer but... Carlton are under more pressure and Gold Coast are more likely to make finals in 2023 IMO. Look at the rate of improvement over the last four years while the two clubs have built their lists:

2019 - Carlton (16th 7W 15L) Gold Coast (18th 3W 19L)
2020 - Carlton (11th 7W 10L) Gold Coast (14th 5W 11L)
2021 - Carlton (13th 8W 14L) Gold Coast (16th 7W 15L)
2022 - Carlton (9th 12W 10L) Gold Coast (12th 10W 12L)

Carlton didn't really move much until 2022 whereas Gold Coast has progressively built year after year. Both clubs made a significant jump in 2022 but still missed out on making the finals. It's entirely possible both Carlton and Gold Coast will make finals in 2023 when you look at the rate of improvement and natural development of talented young players. Having said that, I can also see a scenario where Carlton miss and Gold Coast make it. The age demographic and games put into young players really favours a Gold Coast making the finals outcome.

No pressure on Carlton. I think if we finish the 2023 season 9 - 13 on the ladder that will be a huge win. Any lower and it'll be a bit disappointing.

Can't get our hopes up too much!

Weren't Carlton being compared with Fremantle this time last year in terms of where they were at and who was under more pressure to play finals?

Now that Fremantle have gone past Carlton, it's now Carlton being compared with Gold Coast.

After Gold Coast play finals in 2023 and Carlton fall short again, I expect to see Carlton being compared with North Melbourne.

Weren't Carlton being compared with Fremantle this time last year in terms of where they were at and who was under more pressure to play finals?

Now that Fremantle have gone past Carlton, it's now Carlton being compared with Gold Coast.

After Gold Coast play finals in 2023 and Carlton fall short again, I expect to see Carlton being compared with North Melbourne.

And this time last year, Essendon supposedly had gone past Carlton too

Mckay (Coleman)
Curnow (Coleman)
Cripps (Brownlow)
Walsh (Pick 1)
Weitering (Pick 1)

Helen Keller could steer this team to a finals spot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were compared to Brisbane first.
The lions will be starting to think about a mini rebuild before blues win finals if 2023 is a bust.
I’m still working out how a team full of AAs 2 coleman medalist and a Brownlow medalist labeled premiership contenders by the pundits mid season failed to make finals.

Until any of these teams achieve the ultimate all comparisons are valid.

Improvement is never linear. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit to see Carlton finish ahead of GC, Fremantle and Brisbane. We could just as easily finish below them all too.

Blind Freddy can see there’s plenty of room for improvement at Carlton. Hopefully it comes to fruition in 2023.

And this time last year, Essendon supposedly had gone past Carlton too
Yeah nah. Every man and his dog knows we've been a dumpster fire for the last 20 years and 2021 was another mediocre season where we scraped into finals. Except for Mick Malthouse who tipped us to win the flag.

Yeah nah. Every man and his dog knows we've been a dumpster fire for the last 20 years and 2021 was another mediocre season where we scraped into finals. Except for Mick Malthouse who tipped us to win the flag.

Last pre-season, some of your supporters were predicting you were a top 4 side, most predicted you were top 8, along with neutral supporters suggesting you would finish above us

Point is, things change quickly from year to year depending on maturing quality of a list.

Gold Coast remind me of St Kilda under Richardson, average coach with a good even list but not enough starpower to be a threat.

They might make a one off finals appearance like St Kilda did in 2020, but apart from that, I see more mid table mediocrity on the horizon for the Suns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton and Gold Coast - who finishes higher in 2023?

Back