Coach Carlton Coaching Group 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

If Hansen is successful in this redefined role, he is going to be front and centre for a senior coaching gig. Just something for the club to be mindful of, if we enjoy a strong season in 2024.

Not sure there would be too many senior coaching gigs open next year.

Pies happy with McRae.
Brissy happy with Fagan.
PA always restless but you'd think Hinkley is OK for a while yet.
Dees and Goodwin could get rocky?
Blues happy with Voss.
St Kilda invested heavily in Lyon.
GWS happy with Kingsley.
Sydney happy with Longmire and reportedly grooming Cox.
Bulldogs and Bevo could get rocky?
Adelaide happy with Nicks.
Essendon likely to persist with Scott.
Geelong likely to persist with other Scott.
Richmond only just recruited Yze.
Fremantle and Longmuir could get rocky.
GC just invested heavily in Hardwick.
Hawthorn happy with Mitchell.
NM just invested heavily in Clarkson.
WC seemingly committed with Simpson.

Bolded the best chances, with the last probably the best shot given their ladder position.

Would Melbourne or WB, or even Freo, look at a first time senior coach given that all three would fancy themselves genuine finals chances?

Brissy happy with Fagan.
PA always restless but you'd think Hinkley is OK
Blues happy with Voss.
Geelong likely to persist with Scott.
Not sure of your assessments on Fagan , Lyon, Longmuir or Geelong Scott.
It seems Fagan can't take the ultimate step , Lyon could implode , Longmuir is a sitting duck in my opinion , and Geelong / Scott could part ways after over a decade.
Longmuir favourite to depart first in my opinion which opens up a return home for Hansen

Pies happy with McRae.
Brissy happy with Fagan.
Blues happy with Voss.
GWS happy with Kingsley.

Bolded the best chances, with the last probably the best shot given their ladder position.

Would Melbourne or WB, or even Freo, look at a first time senior coach given that all three would fancy themselves genuine finals chances?
Did alright as a player for WC and then spent more time coaching at WB, he's a known quantity at both clubs.

Pies happy with McRae.
Brissy happy with Fagan.
Blues happy with Voss.
GWS happy with Kingsley.

Well at least Voss is safe …

Not surprising but good to hear Voss in the presser today confirming Hansen will be coaching from the box this year and Voss will continue at ground level.
Addition of Jordan Russell providing more flexibility on game day.

Not surprising but good to hear Voss in the presser today confirming Hansen will be coaching from the box this year and Voss will continue at ground level.
Addition of Jordan Russell providing more flexibility on game day.
He was a great on field leader for Footscray VFL team when they won the flag a few years ago, could be a great choice.

3 coaches who are available and who would without doubt raise the level of our club.

1. Adam Simpson: Premiership coach who is likely going to return to VIC. May want to take a step back into either an assistant or coaching director type role. Perfect fit.
  2. Bob Murphy: left Freo and is returning home to VIC. Highly regarded at Freo where he held both ball skills and leadership roles. Both which we need massive improvement. Perfect fit.
  3. Stewy Dew: was highly rated assistant at Swans before taking GC role. Had a great tactical mind. Would love him looking after our midfield. Perfect fit.

These are the kind of additions we need to bring in. Unfortunately I don’t have much faith in Brad Lloyd.

3 coaches who are available and who would without doubt raise the level of our club.

1. Adam Simpson: Premiership coach who is likely going to return to VIC. May want to take a step back into either an assistant or coaching director type role. Perfect fit.
  2. Bob Murphy: left Freo and is returning home to VIC. Highly regarded at Freo where he held both ball skills and leadership roles. Both which we need massive improvement. Perfect fit.
  3. Stewy Dew: was highly rated assistant at Swans before taking GC role. Had a great tactical mind. Would love him looking after our midfield. Perfect fit.

These are the kind of additions we need to bring in. Unfortunately I don’t have much faith in Brad Lloyd.
Please get me Bob Murphy, if he can improve our skills...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no idea of who is good at what, but i do watch us play every week and have seen all year a team who has been terrible at defending D50 stoppages and a team that allows way too many inside 50s and was too easy to score against, we also have two of the best key forwards yet they struggle for easy goals and to get separation.

If the coaches we have, have got the team putting out these performances, then i think a few need to be replaced.

We need to be aggressive off field this off season, a pretty decent step backwards this year.

Yep. Agreed.
I would be comfortable if we put a line through all assistants and tried this again.
Our method of play looked like such a shemozal this year, regardless of all the injuries.
Just never looked like a solid and cohesive game plan for the Blues in 2024

I'm not even an armchair expert, but even I can see last night that when we clear the F50 and move the ball quickly we get more and better looks at goals. We actually did this a fair bit last night and if it weren't for basic skill errors and poor kicking then we would have been closer again.

This needs to be our focus over the off-season - better structure, fluid ball movement, consistent running support, space in the F50 and knowing where we want to deliver the ball so our smalls actually have a structure to play to. They look lost because there is no real plan. I believe our coaches are simply trusting whatever our mids are deciding to do so long as the F50 entry is deep, and this is why Charlie doesn't run/lead. If Charlie finds this predictable then opposition does too. At least with an open F50 the defenders have no support and will make mistakes

If we keep the same or similar coaching group then none of this will change.

I’m sure we will hear we will “go to work on it” then end up relying on Cripps and Curnow to steal wins against opposition.

It appears that the buffoons who keep appointing these buffoons just don’t know what to look for.
Cook would be the only one with an acceptable track record, let’s hope he still has the will and drive to do what needs to be done now.
This club will break Cripps, he’s only human and can’t keep carrying the crushing load alone …

It appears that the buffoons who keep appointing these buffoons just don’t know what to look for.
Cook would be the only one with an acceptable track record, let’s hope he still has the will and drive to do what needs to be done now.
This club will break Cripps, he’s only human and can’t keep carrying the crushing load alone …
Wasn’t there a rumour cook was sounding out Jimmy Bartel, who recently stepped down as Giants footy director. Surely it’s about time Brad Lloyd is shown the door

It's definitely time for a turnover of coaching staff. Not that our major problem is coaching but I feel our midfield needs to be tactically better. Less flat footed. I also feel our forwards need to position better to cover the base of the contests defensively.

Voss was a courageous and daring player but as a coach he is anything but. His team, when down by heaps and heaps played conservative footy and looked afraid to take the game on, there was no willing to take risk, no flair, no moving the ball fast and going into the middle. His unwillingness to rotate more names through the middle because he's scared those players will fail in there is gutless stuff as is his unwillingness to user more of his list. Had to be forced to play more young players and they did well. He's also a scared rabbit when it comes to finals. Last season we were lucky to win any finals, fortunately we lucked two wins. We had been winning easily with Dow, Fisher and Cuningham in the side. Cuningham locked down opposition half backs, Dow gave us some much needed speed and Fisher gave us half back run and with them we had been beating top sides, come finals they were dropped for bigger slower bodies and we went back to barely winning, eventually getting flogged in Brisbane.

Voss was a brave player but he's a coaches with plenty of fear.

As for tactics, I think he's afraid to try things. Only tries things when it gets desperate.

Historically we have been coached by fearless coaches. Not afraid to take risks and try things. David Parkin was one of those. Ratten was too, he just had other things against him.

Voss will need to have a really hard look at how he coaches because it needs to change. Identifying where players can play, their other positions, this is a real weakness of his. Not trying things when things are going bad. Not trusting young players. Not trusting players to go into the middle for bursts from other positions.

We need to get some guys in and he needs to listen to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Carlton Coaching Group 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back