Carlton Exposed

Remove this Banner Ad

15 points up when the Blair cheating incident. Then the Gibbs head lock I will excuse the mark they didnt pay directly in front to Collins. The game should have been three points who knows what might have been.
Yawn, Judd's rugby throw led to Jeff Garlett's goal and Hampson shoved Jolly with both hands in the back during a ruck contest 20m out from goal. For every isolated incident you can think of it can be raised one. We rolled Carlton whilst in second gear, we'll be much better next time.

Carlton won Q1 by 1 pt
Collingwood won Q2 by 28 pts
Q3 was drawn
Q4 Collingwood won by 1 pt.

To think Collignwood controlled most of the game is simply not true. It was an even contest for 3/4 of the match. Due to their class Collingwood were able to pile on a lot of goals when the had the momentum in the 2nd quarter. That was ultimately the difference.

I don't really see how we were 'exposed'.

We got beaten, by a reasonable margin by the clear best side in the competition. Our bottom 6 have always been the worry so that wasn't really unearthed on the weekend. IMO Friday's game didn't really prove anything major.
Neither side were at their absolute best anyway.

Entire game hey funny that you were down at quarter time.

We were in control of the game at all times. Carlton started well but Collingwood had plenty in reserve to make sure they didnt capitalise. The Pies put a break on Carlton in the second quarter and from that moment on never looked like losing in a pretty boring second half. The Blues were content to minimise Collingwoods influence by slowing the play down, but in doing that they denied themselves any opportunity of winning it themselves. Collingwood just went with the flow after half time.

We were in control of the game at all times. Carlton started well but Collingwood had plenty in reserve to make sure they didnt capitalise. The Pies put a break on Carlton in the second quarter and from that moment on never looked like losing in a pretty boring second half. The Blues were content to minimise Collingwoods influence by slowing the play down, but in doing that they denied themselves any opportunity of winning it themselves. Collingwood just went with the flow after half time.

All you can do is laugh at this sort of arrogance. Using terms like " we had plenty in reserve" or " we were in second gear" what a wank. Collingwood were 15 points up towards the end of the 2nd and if not for the worst free weve seen would have most likely gone in at half time at that margin. Add that give goal and then the non frre to Gibbs shortly after that would have resulted in a goal to Carlton and they were right in.

Calm down mate...
Duigan was good last night...Yes he fumbled a little and got found out on a couple of occassions...
But that being said it was his 3rd game of AFL football. Also his first time playing at the MCG, and his first time playing infront of 90k people!
Not to mention he was up against the best team in the comp who also apply the most pressure to their opponents.

Didn't Duigan debut in round 1 vs Richmond at, uh, the MCG?

Hump17 you need so start worrying about your own mob instead of defending the blues by taking shots at the pies. Get real man, "cheating incident?" Carlton wouldve, couldve and shouldve if this and that didn't happen? You sound like the biggest sore-loser, worse than any carlton supporter i might add, making excuses etc.
Fact is Collingwood are currently a better side. Carlton, i agree, are on the up-and are by no means "exposed", i thought they played well-very good side they are. We just played better. That's why we won, not because of free kicks (which went both ways by the way, wasn't the best umpiring either way). I would predict most, if not all carlton fans would agree rather than resort to petty ifs and buts.

Collingwood were the better side... and Collingwood won... therefore umps had nothing to do with the result...

Saying that we were exposed is incorrect however...

Pretty funny isn't it. I've heard people writing him off as a footballer after last nights game. It's a learning curb and he will get beaten.

Not every young KP defender can come on the scene and do what Nathan Brown did - start smashing the premier big men in the game from day 1.

Thought I'd correct you there.

But I'm surprised anyone would have a go at Watson, I don't think he did badly at all, even if it was his 50th game. Key positions take a long time, at least normally anyway.

Dawes has been in the system 4 or 5 years, ditto for Reid and Nathan Brown, and all 3 only really stood out late last year/early this year. Give him time.

Carlton will only ever become a true contender when/if they eliminate that heavy HEAVY reliance on Chris Judd. If they can shake that, they'll be right up there. Otherwise it'll be 'there abouts' for a long time, and when Judd goes, back down for some more rebuilding.

This year is the year they need to be more independent. Next year at the LATEST.

The Blair decision and Gibbs free that was not paid cost us a heap of momentum when the contest was still close and up for grabs. I see all the Pie supporters coming back against this argument with the Judd throw. Yes it was a throw and i am not disputing this but that call was a lot harder to make for the umpire than the other 2 and like others have said you would of received the free in your back half so who knows what could of happened. I am not blaming the Umpires for the loss but those decisions just suck the life out of a team and rob you of much needed confidence.

The Pies were the better team on the night and deserved the win i have no problem with this fact and we had a lot of quiet players on the night which was disappointing to say the least. Were we exposed??? I say no and we can take a lot of positives out of that game IMO and look forward to our next match up to see if we learnt anything from the contest.

actually umpire was bout 10 metres away looking at judd when he threw it but just called play on cause he realised it was the umps love child that done it.and we wouldnt have had that in our backline it happened on the wing just slighty closer to our goals.just thought i'd point out the real facts:)

Exposed. We lost by 28 points to the best side in the comp at full strength. We are missing our CHB (Bower), CHF (Henderson) and Ruckman/Forward (Kreuzer). You could also suggest Mclean, Armfield, Houlihan and Lucas were missing too but that is a matter of opinion.

Either way I guess yeah, I suppose Carlton were exposed for not being able to field a best 22 but not a lot else was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

actually umpire was bout 10 metres away looking at judd when he threw it but just called play on cause he realised it was the umps love child that done it.and we wouldnt have had that in our backline it happened on the wing just slighty closer to our goals.just thought i'd point out the real facts:)

Surely you cant tell me that the Judd decision was an easy call?? You are basing your opinion of the decision because of the player in question. Incorrect disposal i.e disposing of the ball while not getting a fist on it happens in a split second as players are so quick with their hands and these decisions often go unnoticed especially in packs etc and then the uproar starts as the replay is shown. The Blair decision was much easier to adjudicate for the umpire and once again the benefit of hindsight and instant replay regarding the Judd throw are coming to the fore to back up arguments which don't hold much substance.

Thought you guys would like to know that the Giesch reviewed the Blair free and said it was A-Ok, so can't complain about that anymore, free was there and was paid :thumbsu:

A CONTROVERSIAL free kick against Carlton's Jordan Russell that gifted Collingwood opponent Jarryd Blair a goal on Friday night has been given a tick by AFL umpires manager Jeff Gieschen.

The Judd throw was still missed however, so I'd say the Blues were ultimately the beneficiaries of the umpiring errors.

Was right in front of the Blair freekick and all my son and myself discussed was that it was stupid for Russell to resort to pushing Blair away so obviously before the ball arrived. Been suprised at the uproar since.

Cant make two movements e.g push your opponent then take steps backwards to take the mark. It was unfortunate and technical but correct

Thought Carlton were great on Friday. We were not cruising in 3rd gear as some say. Blues were not far from winning that match.

This weeks Carl v Ess has so much gong for it as it will allow the winner to really launch its season while the loser may drop back into the pack

The Pies did not need, nor get, favorable treatment from the umpires to beat the Blues.

Where Carlton shot themselves in the foot, and failed to really "scare" Collingwood, was each time we had momentum we'd give it right back with a dopey free kick/error. That was the difference. Collingwood could maintain the pressure, and composure under pressure, whereas the Blues could not.

Prime examples were holding the ball in the forward line against Simpson, Scotland kicking into the man on the mark, a few missed handballs, Waite's general stupidity, and (as usual) some shoddy goalkicking by everyone, including Judd.

If Carlton had been able to NOT have those screw-ups, and instead had put up back-to-back goals... well, it'd be a whole different ball game.

Credit to Collingwood. Too good.
Blues exposed? Not at all.

Blues-Bombers should be interesting and more revealing.

Was right in front of the Blair freekick and all my son and myself discussed was that it was stupid for Russell to resort to pushing Blair away so obviously before the ball arrived. Been suprised at the uproar since.

Interesting. From where I sat (in front of the TV) it looked like a dreadful umpiring decision. This may have been partly due to the camera angle and partly Channel Seven's tendency to go overboard on the camera zoom, leaving the viewer with no really feeling for whats happening out on the ground. Memo Channel Seven, when I watch footy I want to watch the game, not just the guy nearest the ball.

Cant make two movements e.g push your opponent then take steps backwards to take the mark. It was unfortunate and technical but correct

Thought Carlton were great on Friday. We were not cruising in 3rd gear as some say. Blues were not far from winning that match.

This weeks Carl v Ess has so much gong for it as it will allow the winner to really launch its season while the loser may drop back into the pack

I don't believe that JR + Blair contest warranted a free kick. Nine times out of ten the umpires would let that one go for any team in the AFL. We were just unlucky enough to be the tenth team :thumbsdown:

This decision didn't change the game though. Collingwood were/are the better team

Interesting. From where I sat (in front of the TV) it looked like a dreadful umpiring decision. This may have been partly due to the camera angle and partly Channel Seven's tendency to go overboard on the camera zoom, leaving the viewer with no really feeling for whats happening out on the ground. Memo Channel Seven, when I watch footy I want to watch the game, not just the guy nearest the ball.

I think that guy and his son are just incredibly biased.

It was a dreadful decision. Utterly outside the spirit of the game. That guy is talking smack, the Carlton player held his ground. The only other option was to wave Blair through into an open goal.

Even when you go for a team, you sometimes have to recognise you've gotten away with one, which you obviously do. Some decisions are so against the spirit of the game they make even neutral supporters like me angry

I think that guy and his son are just incredibly biased.

It was a dreadful decision. Utterly outside the spirit of the game. That guy is talking smack, the Carlton player held his ground. The only other option was to wave Blair through into an open goal.

Even when you go for a team, you sometimes have to recognise you've gotten away with one, which you obviously do. Some decisions are so against the spirit of the game they make even neutral supporters like me angry

Fair enough, but I dont retract my comments about Channel Seven. Too many closeups make it hard to watch the game and hard to make judgements on umpiring decisions. The free was paid because the push on Blair was beyond five metres of the ball. There was no way of knowing that by watching tv.

Personally I thought the Carlton player was entitled to hold his ground, irrespective of the ball's position, but I would have preferred a wider view.

Surely you cant tell me that the Judd decision was an easy call?? You are basing your opinion of the decision because of the player in question. Incorrect disposal i.e disposing of the ball while not getting a fist on it happens in a split second as players are so quick with their hands and these decisions often go unnoticed especially in packs etc and then the uproar starts as the replay is shown. The Blair decision was much easier to adjudicate for the umpire and once again the benefit of hindsight and instant replay regarding the Judd throw are coming to the fore to back up arguments which don't hold much substance.

yeah i am:confused:ump was 10 metres away looking at him.i could tell it was a throw and i was 150 metres away in the grandstand.

You won the game fair and square, comfortably the best team on the day. It's OK to admit what was obvious to the rest of the football public, it was an excruciatingly bad decision, among the very worst I've seen at AFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton Exposed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back