Carlton - How did they get to here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would the AFLPA have a field day.

Players often don't get where they want.

Are they going to complain about Papley & Daniher too?

He's uncontracted, has provided GC with 6 seasons of service and played almost 100 games.

If GC try to hold him there against his will, AFLPA will get involved. They are already agitating for free agency to be brought in sooner and this is a perfect scenario to sell that argument. AFL want to avoid this shit fight.

IMO the only way Martin stays at GC is if they agree to terms of a new contract before any draft, no way GC would be stupid enough or allowed to take him in PSD.

Everyone knows Martin isn't worth a first, including GC. They were just puffing their chest out and strutting around because the AFL gave them such a ridiculous care package that the outcome hardly mattered to them.

GC is like that rich kid who blows all his money and crashes his expensive cars and thinks he's cool, but everyone else thinks he's just a screw up who is lucky he has Daddy's money to constantly bail him out.
Or, maybe you and several other Carlton fans are in denial that GCs valuation of their player is different to yours, and they have taken unders for several players in the past so they decided to break the pattern. Just because you value Martin at a certain price, doesn't make it objective truth, nor must everyone agree.

Or, maybe you and several other Carlton fans are in denial that GCs valuation of their player is different to yours, and they have taken unders for several players in the past so they decided to break the pattern. Just because you value Martin at a certain price, doesn't make it objective truth, nor must everyone agree.

"Several Carlton fans"? Can you find any sensible non-GC people that genuinely believe an uncontracted Martin is worth a first rounder?

Also if you're arbitrarily increasing the price on one player because you messed up your previous trades, as you suggest, then you're clearly not trying to deal him at his genuine value. That logic is itself is ridiculous.

Customer: "How much for this car?"

Salesman: "$200,000. It's only worth $100,000, but I sold my last few way too cheaply, so I'm doubling the price on this one just to- hey, wait, where are you going? Come back!"

"Several Carlton fans"? Can you find any sensible non-GC people that genuinely believe an uncontracted Martin is worth a first rounder?
Me. I'm not a Suns fan, and I would have parted with the first round pick the Lions got from Collingwood for Martin. I can find at least one other Lions fan who would use that pick on Martin now if he agreed to come to us over Carlton.

Also if you're arbitrarily increasing the price on one player because you messed up your previous trades, as you suggest, then you're clearly not trying to deal him at his genuine value. That logic is itself is ridiculous.
What's ridiculous is your pitiful straw man argument. I suggested nothing of the sort. My contention is that Carlton's best offer was unders and the Suns don't have to bend over and take it like they've done in the past. They were perfectly entitled to demand what they saw as fair value. The rest of the world doesn't have to agree with your personal valuation of Martin.

Last edited:
Obviously doesn't matter now but it can be off putting for potential recruits to join Carlton worried they might not get to the club.

I'd say that risk is less than potential recruits thinking about joining Stalag Essendon or Stalag Sydney.

Debatable. He was clearly worth a first to GC. Clubs should not waltz into trade period simply expecting to pay how much they think the player is worth, since clubs can have very different valuations. Carlton knew this when they made him an offer.

No he’s not. His value to them is being used as a warning to the soutern clubs that GCS are going to play hardball over everyone from here on in.
Of course, they can only afford to do it because the AFL has given them so much access to picks and academy players that they can now afford to burn a reasonable trade and even their own players. :thumbsu:

Or, maybe you and several other Carlton fans are in denial that GCs valuation of their player is different to yours ...

It’s obvious the valuation was different, but not as much re the player as re the currency. It’s like Aussies abroad being chuffed at getting a can of coke of AUD$0.30. Gold Coast being given so many draft picks simply changed the value of their dollar relative to Carlton’s.

Of course, they can only afford to do it because the AFL has given them so much access to picks and academy players that they can now afford to burn a reasonable trade and even their own players. :thumbsu:

Moral hazard resulting from bailouts is nothing new.

I wonder how long it will take for GCS to start operating like a normal club? Streets behind GWS still.

No he’s not. His value to them is being used as a warning to the soutern clubs that GCS are going to play hardball over everyone from here on in.
Amazing, you seem to be able to read the Gold Coast's brains trust's minds, you're that confident you know their exact motives and valuation of players. Once again, you labour under this belief that a future 2nd and future 3rd is reasonable. And it may be to you, but who are you to say it must be for Gold Coast too?

Customer: "How much for this car?"

Salesman: "$200,000. It's only worth $100,000, but I sold my last few way too cheaply, so I'm doubling the price on this one just to- hey, wait, where are you going? Come back!"
Amazing, you seem to be able to read the Gold Coast's brains trust's minds, you're that confident you know their exact motives and valuation of players. Once again, you labour under this belief that a future 2nd and future 3rd is reasonable. And it may be to you, but who are you to say it must be for Gold Coast too?

And all media commentary when giving their opinion on his trade value, given he was dropped from the wooden Spooner's and is now out of contract.
Just because GCS's "opinion" was an outlier (BF trolls not withstanding, of course), doesn't make it a valid one.
If it indeed was their opinion.
Internally they may have also valued him at a similar value to everyone else (recruiters), but for the sake of swinging their old fella around (Cochrane, drunk on AFL handouts), they put a ridiculous price on his head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back