Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Would the club actually make a point of coming out to state that after the fact?

I don't think it's a hugely damaging admission or anything, so it would be strange for a journo to make that up.

Teague often refers to the coaches as a collective so I think he gets along with these guys. It's not hard to imagine that be didn't want to see any of them out of a job.
Particularly given most of them he was a fellow assistant coach with under Bolts. Always an issue for internal promotions managing people who used to be peers and friends, especially for nice guys like Teague.

Is anyone else getting off on the media attention?

I typically don't read it because with my temperament I'll go postal on a number of journo's. However this year I'm actually enjoying it.

Prior to today, the club hasn't done or said anything wit the exception of Sayers email about giving members a summary report. The media has warped itself into an absolute frenzy trying to get an opinion on us from everyone outside the club, and then pasting it as gospel. The more I read of it the more I laugh at the absolute tripe most of them are spewing, making sure they are unaccountable for anything. They even went as far as to ask Kouta his thoughts and plastered it as club legend disappointed piece.

Most of them refer to in my opinion, it's my belief, it's my understanding, I'm led to believe, I have been informed, I have a feeling etc. They're nothing comments that actually have zero bearing on anything. They are they arm floaties most journo's use to keep their heads above water, letting them wade until they get some real facts.

The more I read, the more I feel we are smashing them. I know it sounds stupid saying that, but the reason I feel this way is we're not giving them anything and they're having to use use their makey uppey thesaurus to come up with different ways to spew the same thing.

If, as in the past, they actually had someone/s telling them inner sanctum secrets right now, they wouldn't be constantly quoting comments from Leigh Matthews, Healy, Nick Riewoldt, J Brown, Wilson, Lloyd etc. They have nothing to go on apart from a young (sacked) coach under pressure from his manager, and who's manager obviously can't filter his confidential information and decided to ramble on about everyone else except for the bloke who couldn't coach his team as well as his ambition wanted to.

I don't know why, and others will certainly disagree with this, but I like what we're doing and I'm enjoying the media bashing.

did I hear correctly, Luke Sayers said he didn’t hear what Ross Lyon had to say on footy classified?!

Last week, yes. To be fair, he shouldn't have given the FC stuff any air so he did the right thing. He's not about to talk about new coaches or candidates on the day he announces the senior coach is gone.

I reckon the board overrule a lot of the club's decisions or at least put too much pressure on those whose job it is to make them.
Luke Sayers came across as a naive dill today. By predicting that the club will play finals next year, he is not only putting the next coach under pressure, but he is in essence saying we have the team list to do it. On what basis? Our list is overrated, expensive overpaid imports have missed 50% of the season with injuries, and the likelihood of that changing next year is not good. We have 5 months to develop a new game plan and implement a defensive structure assuming that the players are able to implement it.

What if we don't make finals? Do we then sack the new coach? Is he going to provide running commentary on the performance of the team during the season? He has made a rod for his back. If we start next year at 1-4, the media will relish piling on the pressure. For all the wraps on Sayers, he is just another suit trying to get his head on the tube and pretend he is relevant. He really understands nothing about footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

???….I was only after confirmation related to my question.

I'm not attributing the rest of my comments to anything you said. Just generally, there would be some skepticism about his claim, but I think he was right not to address anything about Ross.

Luke Sayers came across as a naive dill today. By predicting that the club will play finals next year...

Luke Sayers did not say that the club will play finals next year.

He and the club have no hope if people are going to misconstrue his words.

A group of key players made an 11th hour bid to keep David Teague as coach earlier this week.

Although the last-ditch effort was ultimately unsuccessful, CEO Cain Liddle was left in no doubt that several important players would have preferred the board keep Teague for 2022.

Among the players to voice their support were the Curnow brothers, Sam Walsh, Harry McKay, Jacob Weitering and Nic Newman.

Not sure I believe, but whoa....

Also, IF true (big if), who leaked that?

I thought he did in his presser with Cain, that Carlton wants finals in 2022.

in any case, I loved it.

He said the expectation is to be playing finals.

Big difference between that and “we will play finals”.

Luke Sayers came across as a naive dill today. By predicting that the club will play finals next year, he is not only putting the next coach under pressure, but he is in essence saying we have the team list to do it. On what basis? Our list is overrated, expensive overpaid imports have missed 50% of the season with injuries, and the likelihood of that changing next year is not good. We have 5 months to develop a new game plan and implement a defensive structure assuming that the players are able to implement it.

What if we don't make finals? Do we then sack the new coach? Is he going to provide running commentary on the performance of the team during the season? He has made a rod for his back. If we start next year at 1-4, the media will relish piling on the pressure. For all the wraps on Sayers, he is just another suit trying to get his head on the tube and pretend he is relevant. He really understands nothing about footy.

I’m glad he said it. Because fudge mediocrity.

But at the same time, the media will play this grab endlessly if we are rubbish next year.

The challenge: get the right coach and let’s not be rubbish next year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s natural that players are livid by the departure of a coach his a mate they’ve built a bond but unfortunately it’s not about mates it’s about result and Teague failed in that area , move on boys you’ll build another bond with the new coach and hopefully a successfully one .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back